Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is an idea that I have had for a while that would like to try to put into motion, if there are enough people interested in helping.

The idea is a sub-forum within this are that would include only peer-edited and locked repair or other work instructions. Moderating and locking each thread would keep in clean and easy to follow, and peer review would ensure that we have the best and most accurate information.

This is how I think it could work, but I am, clearly, open for suggestions and alternatives.:
  • Someone (anyone) would start a thread in a "Review" sub-forum.
    • The information can be original
    • Or it can be harvested from elsewhere within the forum.
  • Other memers would then suggest edits, additions, or subtractions in that thread.
  • The originator would edit the post(s) accordingly.
  • This process would repeat until it is generally agreed to be correct concise and complete
  • The final product would then be moved to a "Resource" sub-forum and locked.
  • Contributors would be listed in the final document.
My thought is that each tpic would be very focused to make it easier to find and to follow, for example:
  • One topic that has come up recently is replacement of a broken door handle
  • This instruction would require at least two topics:
    • Replacement of the door handle with part numbers and handle-specific information
    • Door disassembly, which would be linked from the door handle topic
  • By making each topic specific, those that are needed for multiple activities could be re-used
So, is anyone interested in such an undertaking?

I haven't learned yet how I can create a sub-forum, or even if I can, but I think I can get it done one way or another if the interest is there.

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
Good idea. Kappa wiki

help us by having an easy to acces and reference place to go for questions that get asked over and over again by new members. Also provide a way to quality control them. And best of all, not depend on individual members memory to go dig out data

·
Premium Member
3,748 Posts
Great idea, but . . . . starting a WIKI is a ton of work and takes many hrs a week. Normally it dies off in a few years. Also there is much better suitable software to make a WIKI than this forum software,

I think the best thing about these forums is being able to communicate / comment / update / share a different thought / ask a question . . . . .

Having a section with locked posts does not include two way communication, a person who thinks he knows better and drops by a year later can not share his thoughts.

All in all I think it is a very original idea but will not improve the forums and therefore I do not think this should be implemented. Although it would make it way easier to find the best technical information on a certain popular subject.

Perhaps a Resource Forum that has links to various interesting technical important threads and topics might be a good idea.

Also (bit off topic but related to forum improvements) . . . .
  • I think the bazillion stickies should be cleaned up. I think there are way too many :)
  • I suggest merging topics should be done more often.
  • And I suggest moving post to a more appropriate forum should be done more often.
  • Lock all the dang old Coupe Registry threads. There is only One And Only Coupe Registry ! :)

Last but not least . . . Keep Up The Good Work Moderation & Admin Team !!! You Are All Doing A Great Job !!!

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious
678 Posts
I think this is a great idea. Even if just to consolidate the most common ones for starters to see how well it works.

For example, when i recently posted my daily experiences in upgrading my seats, it is very "seat of the pants" info and various meanderings off topic within the thread. I would hope there would be a way to consolidate that info to just the relavant information for the next person to come along.
That being said, it would be usefull to have a starter template to begin the topic.
Kinda like:
1) Tools Required
2) Parts (and part numbers) needed to perform the repair/upgrade/mod.

To me the biggest challenge with the forum is the lack of our ability to upload video. It can be really difficult at times to provide a "close up" picture of something, without the context of where it is in relation to the vehicle.
I really dont want to start a "youtube" channel just to upload a 10 or 15 second video detailing an issue or solution.
The other problem with using outsourced content storage is we end up with older posts that no longer contain the photo documentation originally provided, the linked video is no longer available, etc negating a good portion of their worth as an "archive" of information...

Just some thoughts.

·
Administrator
8,668 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Good idea. Kappa wiki

help us by having an easy to acces and reference place to go for questions that get asked over and over again by new members. Also provide a way to quality control them. And best of all, not depend on individual members memory to go dig out data
That is pretty much the thought process that I started with. The procedure to take a door apart (for example) doesn't change over time, so having it archived simplifies finding it.

I do not see this including things like audio upgrades, or lighting changes, or other "unique" things, except that the procedure for accessing the radio (needed for changing the audio) would be.

To me the biggest challenge with the forum is the lack of our ability to upload video.
The other problem with using outsourced content storage is we end up with older posts that no longer contain the photo documentation originally provided, the linked video is no longer available, etc negating a good portion of their worth as an "archive" of information...

Just some thoughts.
Video is being discussed at the forum administration level.

Reactions: HHGadget

·
Super Moderator
17,048 Posts
As a work around, we can establish our own youtube channel and post video there. I already have one with a few videos. We could use that if nothing else. Its not a big deal. And we can have shared copies of the video on the cloud and easily accessible copies on our YT channel

(5) Solstice logo 3d print - YouTube

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
It's not a bad idea but it would need a moderator that would be responsible for formatting the information. The trick to making it work is they all need to be formatted in a way that is easy to understand, easy to read and the format would be applied to each and every single instruction/post. This needs to be the responsibility of a moderator because a user knowing how it should be formatted and what bbcodes to use it simply going to be way to much work and no one is going to want to spend the time to do it. Trust me on this I know because of the countless program code repositories that force format standards on the contributor and quite often the contributor just plain gives up and walk away because it is something they are doing to be nice and it ends up taking up to much of their time and ends up being a job.

The content contained within the post should not be changed by a moderator only the formatting of it. Because replies would not be allowed the information contained within these posts would have to be written so that all information is there. Torque specs should be listed in a table at the end. This has to be done to include answers to questions that cannot be asked. The peron reading it should not be sitting there wondering what is being told to be done. DETAIL, DETAIL and more DETAIL. provide visual reference points and or edited photos with areas pointed to and circled in green (0, 255, 0). The green is easiest to see on top of all colors except green. I do not believe there to be this green anywhere inside any of our vehicles from the factory so it's a safe bet to say it will stand out.

Here is an example format.

DESCRIPTION/NAME____________________________________________________
difficulty level: time to complete:

Synopsis________________________________________________
general description of the problem and a quick blurb about what the repair is

Tools Needed____
bulleted list all tools needed
  • Hammer
  • #2 Phillips screwdriver
  • 1/4" drive ratchet
  • 10mm 1/4" drive 6 point short socket

Parts/Supplies___
bulleted list of all parts and supplies needed
  • 1pc - 12630084: GM Water Pump
  • 2 gal - DexCool Antifreeze 50/50 mix

Outline of the problem_
In depth description of the problem

DTCs__
bulleted list of DTCs: DTC name that get set because of the problem.
  • P0100: MAF Sensor Circuit
  • P0102: MAF Sensor Circuit Low Frequency

Possible Causes_
each cause needs to be bulleted see example below
  • Overheat________________________________
    information specific to the possible cause
  • Bad bearing__
    description

Repair Procedure_
This must be very detailed and include schematics that are embedded into the post.
NO VIDEOS
NO LINKS TO IMAGES
NO LINKS TO OUTSIDE DOCUMENTS

Links to posts in this forum are OK so long as the link is to the post directly and not the page or the topic. The person reading this should not be instructed to read an entire topic or a whole page of posts to locate a piece of information that is being referenced. When referencing it needs to be specific, it can't be "Do what it says to do in this post."

The limit of 10 images per post will need to be raised to 30 images per post. I do not know what the maximum character limit is for a post and that may also need to be raised.

and here is the bbcode version
Code:
[SIZE=6][COLOR=rgb(41, 105, 176)][U]DESCRIPTION/NAME____________________________________________________[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
difficulty level:                                                                         time to complete:

[COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][SIZE=17px][U]Synopsis________________________________________________[/U][/SIZE][/COLOR]
general description of the problem and a quick blurb about what the repair is

[SIZE=17px][COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][U]Tools Needed[U]____________________________________________[/U][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
bulleted list all tools needed
[LIST]
[*]Hammer
[*]#2 Phillips screwdriver
[*]1/4" drive ratchet
[*]10mm 1/4" drive 6 point short socket
[/LIST]

[SIZE=17px][COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][U]Parts/Supplies[U]___________________________________________[/U][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
bulleted list of all parts and supplies needed
[LIST]
[*]1pc   -  12630084: GM Water Pump
[*]2 gal - DexCool Antifreeze 50/50 mix
[/LIST]

[SIZE=17px][COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][U]Outline of the problem[U]_____________________________________[/U][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
In depth description of the problem

[SIZE=17px][COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][U]DTCs[U]__________________________________________________[/U][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
bulleted list of DTCs: DTC name that get set because of the problem.
[LIST]
[*]P0100: MAF Sensor Circuit
[*]P0102: MAF Sensor Circuit Low Frequency
[/LIST]

[SIZE=17px][COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][U]Possible Causes[U]_________________________________________[/U][/U][/COLOR][/SIZE]
each cause needs to be bulleted see example below
[LIST]
[*][COLOR=rgb(65, 168, 95)][U]Overheat________________________________[/U][/COLOR]
information specific to the possible cause
[*][COLOR=rgb(65, 168, 95)][U]Bad bearing[U]______________________________[/U][/U][/COLOR]
description
[/LIST]

[COLOR=rgb(163, 143, 132)][SIZE=17px][U]Repair Procedure[U]_________________________________________[/U][/U][/SIZE][/COLOR]
This must be very detailed and include schematics that are embedded  into the post.
NO VIDEOS
NO LINKS TO IMAGES
NO LINKS TO OUTSIDE DOCUMENTS

Links to posts in this forum are OK so long as the link is to the post directly and not the page or the topic. The person reading this should not be instructed to read an entire topic or a whole page of posts to locate a piece of information that is being referenced. When referencing it needs to be specific, it can't be "Do what it says to do in this post."

The limit of 10 images per post will need to be raised to 30 images per post. I do not know what the maximum character limit is for a post and that may also need to be raised.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
2,768 Posts
I am not sure why the underline is being truncated sometime and not others. The underlines should go across the page and they should get shorter for each nested section.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts