Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Any other tall drivers here? I'm 6'1 and although I came an eyelash from owning a 2007 GXP with a manual the deal fell apart. One thing I also noticed was how cramped I felt during the test drive - especially with my left leg having to be pressed hard against the dash to try and work the clutch. I made sure the seat was all the way back. As I start to resume my search again I am seriously considering switching over to an automatic transmission purely from a standpoint of comfort and that I wouldn't have to bash my left leg just to press the clutch. I wanted to see if anyone else here that is tall felt the same way with trying to operate a manual in this car. For those of you who are tall with an automatic do you find it easier?

·
Registered
281 Posts
I'm surprised that at 6'1" you felt cramped. I'm 6'3" and fit into both of ours cars just fine...we have an '06 and '08 GXP. Maybe there was just something goofy about that one car somehow...if you like manual transmissions I might hop into another car before deciding.

·
Premium Member
2,212 Posts
I'm 6 1 and it's fine. Just know that there's no getting your wallet out of your back pocket once you sit down. I mean, this ain't your daddy's Lincoln. Your pretty much planted in once you sit down. I have to use my left hand to push on my right elbow just to get to the seatbelt.

Driving a standard is fun. period. and you know what they say, no pain, no gain.

·
Premium Member
17,536 Posts
Read transmission succage thread before you make a decision.

Having an automatic is better than not having the car at all. :devil:

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Any other tall drivers here? I'm 6'1 and although I came an eyelash from owning a 2007 GXP with a manual the deal fell apart. One thing I also noticed was how cramped I felt during the test drive - especially with my left leg having to be pressed hard against the dash to try and work the clutch. I made sure the seat was all the way back. As I start to resume my search again I am seriously considering switching over to an automatic transmission purely from a standpoint of comfort and that I wouldn't have to bash my left leg just to press the clutch. I wanted to see if anyone else here that is tall felt the same way with trying to operate a manual in this car. For those of you who are tall with an automatic do you find it easier?
Go try another car, not to buy, just sit in it! Early models will not have an Electric seat.

What is your 'inseam'? Mine is about 33" and I don't have any problems.:thumbs:

·
Registered
7,480 Posts
I'm 6'1", 34 inseam, plus wear cowboy boots alot, plus we own both auto and manual Sols. The auto is, well it's an auto, no pedal issues, plus I'm free to manspread my feet.

I also have no issues shifting the manual, but do have to keep my feet closer together during city driving.

My biggest complaint is feeling that the bottom seat cushion isn't long enough, if there was someway to install a retractable mini thigh support, I'd be totally down w/that.

If this was going to be a daily driver, or you live in a very congested area, I'd say go for comfort first. But if this is going to be a summer toy and you're the type of person who want to feel that you're involved w/the mechanics of the car, go for a manual.

For as long as I've been on car forums I've gotten the impression that most people just know if they are an auto person or a manual person.

·
Administrator
9,258 Posts
6' with a 34in inseam....so I'm all leg LOL. I do not have my seat moved all the way back, very slight lean back, and I've had no issues at all with shifting....even during spirited driving. With regard to the comment on the adjustment seat - I've owned 2 Sols, 06 without and 07 with. IMHO it makes no difference in leg room.

·
Premium Member
4,905 Posts
I'm 6'2" ( 6'3" in the morning :) ) and I have one of each ( stick/auto ). I feel no difference. I have the seat all the way back and all the way down.
It is a snug fit, but I fit !

·
Registered
6,052 Posts
Didn't the electric seat height adjustment come into existence during the 07 model year? I'm 6'3", 235 and with the seat fully back my leg doesn't contact the dash at all - though there is not a hellllllluva lotta room between the two. My '07 does NOT have the height adjustment.

You may have driven one with it that was set up higher?

TX is close to accurate re: wallet retrieval. I've been able to do it it it's usually with the top down and the seatbelt off and halfway standing up in the drivethrough, but it IS possible. lol.

First road trip we took in ours was about 7 hours with two short stops. Was a bit stiff but would have been anyway after that many hours. I was very surprised at just how comfortable it was while driving.

Sit in another one.

·
Registered
7,668 Posts
Run the seat all the way back. Now run it a couple of inches forward and then recline the back until it hits the rear bulkhead. Sit in it and intentionally slouch - everyone sits too high when they first get in a strange car.

It should fit you well. Good luck at not becoming one of this 'shiftless' people that can't use a manual trans.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Seats

My biggest complaint is feeling that the bottom seat cushion isn't long enough, if there was someway to install a retractable mini thigh support, I'd be totally down w/that.
CT, This is what I have done on both of our Sols that we have owned. I have put a 1/4" spacer under the front seat mounts. Doesn't lengthen the seat base, but your thighs think it does. Actually, as in for real, I have been doing this to GM bucket seats since I tried it on my '67 Camaro SS. YMMV, but it works for me! :thumbs:

Steve ;)

·
Premium Member
208 Posts
Must depend a lot on an individual's preferred driving position.

A few posts from tall drivers with long legs have no issues with room, yet I'm 5'11" with only a 30" inseam and I have the seat all the way back for things to feel right for me.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have a '34 inseam. I bought a Pontiac Sunfire beater last October for the sole purpose of learning stick. The car lasted 2 weeks and the whole trans went out - but long enough for me to learn to drive stick. I then decided to get my Solstice in manual. Drove a 2009 in Texas back in January that was manual, felt cramped but made it. Was disappointed last week when I got in the 07 and felt severely cramped and this was after adjusting the seat as far back as I could go. In hindsight it was definitely a reason I wanted out after the car wouldn't start. Starting to think I would have a more enjoyable experience if I didn't have to putz around with a clutch. And I agree that having automatic is better than no car at all.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I'm 6'5"......leg length, not waist, I don't have much of an issue.....

·
Registered
643 Posts
It is starting to sound like you are more into the thought of owning a Solstice than the actual owning of a Solstice. You want one so bad because of it's cool looks that you are willing to sacrifice comfort to get it.

Maybe you should try sitting in a Z4 and see if the roominess is any different, or a corvette convertible.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Z4 would have a lot more room as well as the corvette, problem is both of those cars cost a lot more to be in good shape and the Z4 hard top if it fails costs a good chunk of change to fix, or the engine, or anything

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'm 6'5"......leg length, not waist, I don't have much of an issue.....
6'5 and you're comfortable? God what am I doing wrong. I'm gonna go sit in a couple more at a local Carfax and try both a manual and automatic. Like one member here said - it's better to have automatic and make it work that way than have no solstice at all. I want to play with the seat some more too like people have suggested.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm 6'3" with 34 inseam, 197 lbs.
I like to sit fairlyclose to the wheel, the back of the seat in more or less neutral position. Fabric seats w manual adjustment, 5sp transmission. Never tried an automatic.
I find this car to fit me perfectly and everything required seems to be very well placed when driven, heel'n'toe and all...
My previous convertible (2006 MX-5) on the other hand had very shallow/short leather seats with little lateral support... weakest part of the car IMO. I found myself holding on to the steering wheel during spirited turns to keep from sliding...
I have absolutely no complains about ergonomics with this interior.

·
Premium Member
790 Posts
6' 2", 32" inseam and a fat 270 lbs.! I have had both hips replaced and have a bad right knee from a motorcycle accident. I also own an MGB and an MG Midget. I am a little used to tight fitting cars and the Solstice can be a tight fit. 2006 base model, no power seats, manual trans. Took a bit of playing around but I finally have it to where my knees are not touching the dash (just barely) but the right knee is against the center console. Can't have anything on my key ring or it will be against the knee. Today I drove the car to my volunteer job and was wearing a big, bulky knee brace. Quite uncomfortable. With the EDAG hardtop on the car, I was wondering how the hell I was going to get out of the car if I get involved in an accident...

1 - 20 of 28 Posts