Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
543 Posts
Argument end point

PbFut said:
Just visiting. It is curious as to the idea of what a flywheel will and will not provide. I offer this information for those who may wish to understand the effects in greater detail.

From my own experience. The average driver will not like a lightened flywheel. You get a small but noticeable performance gain in lower gears at the expense of smooth ideal and possibly increased transmission gear lash or chatter. The clutch can also chatter during slow launch engagement. The engine is much easier to stall at launch. You get a snappier sounding engine. You know, rap, rap, rap, as the RPM quickly goes up and down much more quickly. Fast shifting can be easier and I find heel and tow shifting to be much easier.

This link will explain the effects, as well as provide mathematical calcs for those needing engineering proof. http://www.uucmotorwerks.com/flywheel/how_a_lightweight_flywheel_works.htm
The site is for the BMW engine, but the principals are the same.
:agree: Positive proof why every high performance car from smallest class (H Modified) to largest (unlimited) run light flywheels on all tracks where you find a corner, and of course the drags. I believe dry lakes and Bonnaville would be the exceptions.
So, it looks like this one can be put to bed. :willy:
If you can remember to give it a little throtle when you take off, go with the light one. I wouldn't pull the engine just for this though. However, if I was going to pull it for any reason I would install the flywheel and clutch package. Just like we did in the good old Hot Rod days. Ah, -- that was before most of you were born.:lol:

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Little Red #531 said:
:agree: Positive proof why every high performance car from smallest class (H Modified) to largest (unlimited) run light flywheels on all tracks where you find a corner, and of course the drags. I believe dry lakes and Bonnaville would be the exceptions.
So, it looks like this one can be put to bed. :willy:
If you can remember to give it a little throtle when you take off, go with the light one. I wouldn't pull the engine just for this though. However, if I was going to pull it for any reason I would install the flywheel and clutch package. Just like we did in the good old Hot Rod days. Ah, -- that was before most of you were born.:lol:
Hmmm... clutch package. Do tell. I haven't heard anyone bringing up the clutch. What exactly would a new clutch package do? Where do you find one? How much? Installation?

·
Registered
3,865 Posts
mabrylm said:
Hmmm... clutch package.
You basically replace your OEM clutch (clutch disk, pressure plate and throw out bearing) with an aftermarket one. Some packages include a lightweight flywheel. You would do this when you've exceeded (or are going to exceed) the clamping force of the stock clutch.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
Yeah, light weight 18x8 wheels in our bolt pattern are going to easily run $2000+ for four wheels. We haven't even started talking about tires ye to put on them. :(

·
Registered
803 Posts
Just think of it like an underdrive pulley. It isnt gonna give u actual horsepower, but it will help free up horsepower from other mods. On these cars it is well worth it. I have done it on everyone of my cars.

Now as stated above, they want a stock one on a completely different HEAVY car.

·
Registered
5,686 Posts
mabrylm said:
Hmmm... clutch package. Do tell. I haven't heard anyone bringing up the clutch. What exactly would a new clutch package do? Where do you find one? How much? Installation?
Clutch package is what you replace when you have worn the old one out with all the upgrades :)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Solstice GXP/LNF flywheel

well you aren't really "gaining" any HP, but your engine is not working as hard to get the HP to the wheels.

with the lightened flywheel the engine will rev and and come down much faster.

there is some debate as to the benefits of a lightend flywheel, but i always thought is was a cool idea, although i have no first hand experience with one.

someone with more experience can probably explain much more than i.
The flywheel is what is termed dual mass. It has a weight inserted into the wheel to give a torsional damping. That is so the gears in the transmission don't rattle on idle. For any performance upgrades this is almost a foregone conclusion that it has to go. At wot, you need energy to spin up the mass. That's energy you want going to the rear wheels, not holding the crank back.

41 - 48 of 48 Posts