Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Do you have a Fiero or are a Fiero enthusiast?

• I currently own a Fiero!

Votes: 10 32.3%
  • I used to owned a Fiero, or just really like Fieros in general.

Votes: 5 16.1%
  • No Fiero

Votes: 16 51.6%
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I know we have a LOT of Fiero owners on the forum. Myself, Solsticeman for certain. I have also seen Eatoninside, Cheever, and many others. (PS, sorry for not mentioning others, but I cannot remember everyone off the top of my head). Anyway, I thought there certainly is enough of us that we should have a Fiero thread to see exactly how many we have! :smile

I included a poll to keep track.

·
4,592 Posts
My best friend had one, if I rememer correctly a 6 banger, real fast and fun! :thumbs

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The 6's are fun Rodeo! They are torquey down low and take off from a stand still very well. They could use a little more upper RPM power, as the engine runs out of breath. Its not powerful compared to modern cars (the base Solstice will have more power than a V6 Fiero) but its enough to make the car a lot of fun!

Our Fiero people must not be around yet this weekend! I know there are a number of them on the forum, but so far I am the only current owner in the poll.

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Our Fiero people must not be around yet this weekend! I know there are a number of them on the forum, but so far I am the only current owner in the poll.
They are all trying to lift their jaws from the floor after seeing the hump on the camel's back (err, hump in solstice's trunk). :lol That was very much the scoop of the month!

·
Registered
53 Posts
I never owned a Fiero, but I used to be a P.D.I. manager and had my choice of any used car to drive as one of my perks. I drove a Fiero anytime it was available and enjoyed the ride without having to deal with the problems.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
My only experience with Fieros was a test drive at the dealer in '83 or '84. Never owned one and never had a lot of interest in one outside of the fact that I thought that Pontiac was moving in the right direction then, and the Fiero represented good things to come. To bad I was kinda wrong.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
AeroDave said:
My only experience with Fieros was a test drive at the dealer in '83 or '84. Never owned one and never had a lot of interest in one outside of the fact that I thought that Pontiac was moving in the right direction then, and the Fiero represented good things to come. To bad I was kinda wrong.
I don't think GM was doing too bad in the 80's. Their market share did decline some, but they also were still sticking out some good products. Unfortunately, by the end of the decade, they had killed or ruined many of those good cars and proceded to let their reliability plumet through the 90's. There was way too much mis-management.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
piippor said:
I had an 84 Fiero 2M4, lol. Black. Auto. I do miss it, but the Solstice looks to be a much better car over all.
After waiting almost 20 years for another Pontiac two seater, it better be improved! Or were all in trouble! :lol :jester

·
Registered
42 Posts
I had an '85 GT, the first car I bought (used when I finished Grad School. I loved that car, had a few electrical gremlins, but all in all I couldn't ever figure out what all the bad press was about, once they got over the early fire thing. I would love to get another one probably the last model year, before examples in good condition become too hard to find. Only problem is I only have storage for one summer car, and would really love to get the HO Solstice when it comes out. Either that or get a house with a bigger garage.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Damovc said:
I had an '85 GT, the first car I bought (used when I finished Grad School. I loved that car, had a few electrical gremlins, but all in all I couldn't ever figure out what all the bad press was about, once they got over the early fire thing. I would love to get another one probably the last model year, before examples in good condition become too hard to find. Only problem is I only have storage for one summer car, and would really love to get the HO Solstice when it comes out. Either that or get a house with a bigger garage.
Summer storage is exactly my problem! What to do with the Solstice and my Fiero! :crazy The Fiero certainly has to stay!

The bad press was because the Fiero didn't make the best sports car, especially in 1984 with the I4 as the only engine. Once word got out that it underperformed, it didn't matter anymore that it was upgraded. Most people simply thought they continued to underperform, even with the V6, and for 88 the revised suspesion.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Most people simply thought they continued to underperform, even with the V6, and for 88 the revised suspesion.
So was 88 the last year of production or 89, I can't remember. By the way, saw the pictures of your Fiero you posted on one of the threads, nice job, looks great.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Damovc said:
So was 88 the last year of production or 89, I can't remember. By the way, saw the pictures of your Fiero you posted on one of the threads, nice job, looks great.
Thanks for the compliment! :thumbs

1988 was the last model year for production, with production ending I believe in May of 1988. There are some references to a 1989, some are typos, others are of the redesign prototype which GM had completed. It’s a shame they killed it because the 89 is a great looking 2 seater! GM even showed it in 2003 at the Fiero 20th anniversary get-together in Pontiac MI!

·
Registered
97 Posts
Yup! I am a proud Fiero owner. I wish I had more than one of them though. I currently have an 88 GT 5-speed. Doesn't have a motor in it right now though. I'm putting in a 383 SBC. I had a 3.4 camaro motor in it, then turboed it, but it wasn't fast enough, so I took it out and sold it.

I really want a 88 GT 5-speed with t-tops. So far they are more than I can afford.

FIERO'S RULE!!!!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
eatoninside said:
Yup! I am a proud Fiero owner. I wish I had more than one of them though. I currently have an 88 GT 5-speed. Doesn't have a motor in it right now though. I'm putting in a 383 SBC. I had a 3.4 camaro motor in it, then turboed it, but it wasn't fast enough, so I took it out and sold it.

I really want a 88 GT 5-speed with t-tops. So far they are more than I can afford.

FIERO'S RULE!!!!
Yeah, a turbo 3.4L is just SO SLOW, how could anyone stand it! :rolleyes :jester J/K, the 383 SBC will certainly be a fun little road rocket!

I'd love an 88 T-top too, GT or Formula, but prices for good condition examples are so high it really doesn't seem worth it to me. I'd probably think differently too if I owned one! :smile

·
Registered
1 Posts
Two fiero's for me, an 84 SE that my family has owned since i was 3 and an 87 coupe i picked up while i was in college. Hopefully within a year i'll have a solstice to go with my other 2 seaters.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Well, I'm a fiero owner too. Red 88 GT (automatic-yuck). Corvette brakes & GTP hoodvents are the only mods so far-other than normal maintenance like stainless steel transmission & brake lines, etc. I've been on pennocks forum since 2000 but don't post nearly as much as all the regulars. Sadly, as much as I love my fiero, it appears that I will have to say goodbye to her to make room for the new 2 seater. I shouldn't have any problem selling her since she's an 88 with only 57k miles.

·
Registered
527 Posts
Hmmm, I've noticed a large number of the large number of fiero owners are 88 owners.... I wonder about the significance...

1 - 20 of 27 Posts