Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last Friday, a few hours after the sales manager at the dealership told me that 311 was on Transportation Hold and would be shipped by October, it arrived at the lot. I got a message Saturday morning and drove 20 miles to pick it up that afternoon, only to be told the paperwork wasn't processed and couldn't be done until Monday, so come back then. To add insult to injury, the dealer is charging a $99 "processing" fee.

Question: Don't EOP rules prohibit such a fee?

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
65MGB said:
Last Friday, a few hours after the sales manager at the dealership told me that 311 was on Transportation Hold and would be shipped by October, it arrived at the lot. I got a message Saturday morning and drove 20 miles to pick it up that afternoon, only to be told the paperwork wasn't processed and couldn't be done until Monday, so come back then. To add insult to injury, the dealer is charging a $99 "processing" fee.

Most dealers charge a processing fee I believe. My dealer's is 250.00

·
Registered
54 Posts
Don't EOP rules prohibit such a fee?

Glad to hear that you are getting your car.. that's awesome!

My dealer will charge a $75.00 processing fee. It's customary.

I did ask him if there were any other charges (Dealer prep, destination charges, hidden fees, etc), he said "no just the $75.00. So I had him make me print-out with the total amount on it.

·
Registered
383 Posts
Definitely NOT against any rules. The state you live in will mandate the MAXIMUM amount the charge can be, otherwise there are no regulations against it. Most all dealers charge one nowadays. Just be glad it's only $99 and not $495 like it can be in some states.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
65MGB said:
...a few hours after the sales manager at the dealership told me that 311 was on Transportation Hold and would be shipped by October, it arrived at the lot.
Good example that we should not believe the statuses in the system right now.

·
Registered
504 Posts
SCISOLSTICE said:
Paid MSRP ,tax and license. Nothing else.What does a processing fee cover?
ALL the extra BS that dealers don't do for ought. :devil: :cool:

·
5,641 Posts
65MGB said:

Your car was released from Transportation Hold on the 9th (which was Friday), this would have been reflected in the system for anyone that checked on the 10th (which was Saturday). After your car had already arrived. So at the time of your phone call, you received the most current info.

Others have posted that many delaerships do not have office staff on weekends to proccess paperwork. It is too bad you didn't read any of those posts.

No GM rules, anywhere, prohibit a processing/documentation fee. Even GM Employee Purchase Programs, where GM has the most control, allow it.

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Weekend Paperwork

Thanks for the detailed info, SD, but your response raises the obvious question: If dealers don't have staff to process paperwork on weekends, how do they sell cars on Saturdays and Sundays and why charge extra "processing" fees when processors aren't even available?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
The only things you HAVE to pay are the MSRP, Tax/Tag/Title, and that's it I believe. However some dealerships charge you extra for 'processing' or 'dealer fees' or some other term they use. In essence they're just charging you an extra fee to cover the work to do the paperwork for you car. The place I got my car from doesn't charge these types of fees, but I know most dealerships do. It's kinda like tipping to me, why should I pay extra for something I'm already paying you for?

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
65MGB said:
Thanks for the detailed info, SD, but your response raises the obvious question: If dealers don't have staff to process paperwork on weekends, how do they sell cars on Saturdays and Sundays and why charge extra "processing" fees when processors aren't even available?
There is a difference between the sale of a car, and the delivery of it. To sell the car, you essentially need the salesman, and sales manager. They handle the business of the negotiating and reaching a deal. To deliver the car, you end up with other behind the scenes people doing work, such as the title clerk. People who handle the state paperwork for registration, title, tax paperwork, possibly the finance paperwork, etc. You may also need service staff if a state inspection is required prior to delivery. Many of these people, in the service department, in the office, etc just work during the week and not on weekends.

So although they can sell you a car anytime, they may not be able to let you take it home until after they have had a title clerk go over the paperwork and square it away. If this person doesn't work weekends, the earliest they could do it would be Mon morning.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
There is a difference between the sale of a car, and the delivery of it. To sell the car, you essentially need the salesman, and sales manager. They handle the business of the negotiating and reaching a deal. To deliver the car, you end up with other behind the scenes people doing work, such as the title clerk. People who handle the state paperwork for registration, title, tax paperwork, possibly the finance paperwork, etc. You may also need service staff if a state inspection is required prior to delivery. Many of these people, in the service department, in the office, etc just work during the week and not on weekends.

So although they can sell you a car anytime, they may not be able to let you take it home until after they have had a title clerk go over the paperwork and square it away. If this person doesn't work weekends, the earliest they could do it would be Mon morning.
:rant:
Yeah but I've found this process to be total B.S. They can take your money on a weekend to make a down payment, but if something falls through and you get your $500 back, they say come back Monday, we can't do it on a weekend. B.S. If they can take your cash or money off your credit card on Saturday, they can put it back in on a Satuday too.

And this leads to my next thing that sucks about dealerships. I'd like to see the figures on when most cars are sold, but I'll bet the actual "I'll buy it" sale is on Saturdays and Sundays. Any figures are probably tainted because the paperwork gets done during the week. But who goes shopping for a car on a Tuesday? I don't know anyone that would take a vacation day from work to go car shopping. No, the mass public go looking at cars on weekends. So why aren't dealers fully staffed on weekends, with all the accountants/clerks necessary? Rotate days off so their is at least 1 person from each department there as required. In today's business environment this only makes sense, but many dealerships either live in the past or are too arrogant to change their ways for their customer.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
Small Dealer said:
Others have posted that many delaerships do not have office staff on weekends to proccess paperwork. It is too bad you didn't read any of those posts.
Sometimes SD you go out of your way to back GM and dealerships. You are incredibly biased! Don't blame someone on this forum for "not reading a post", like it's his or her job to be informed. What if the person is not even on this forum? Would it still be their fault to you?

No, blame it on the DEALER who failed to tell the person in the message that "you can come by and see it this weekend, but it won't be ready for pick up until Monday."

·
Registered
106 Posts
Bonzo, you took that in a completely different tone than I did...I heard it totally different.

Sounded to me like SD said, "Dude, bummer. Too bad, 'cuz now yer pissed and if you'd seen those posts, you'd be chill." :cool:

Where as you heard," Argh! You dolt! How could you have posted such a comment when you should have already attained all of the knowledge encompassed within these great and noble pages!?!" :willy:

·
Registered
106 Posts
:willy: <----I SO love this thing...

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Bonzo said:
And this leads to my next thing that sucks about dealerships. I'd like to see the figures on when most cars are sold, but I'll bet the actual "I'll buy it" sale is on Saturdays and Sundays. Any figures are probably tainted because the paperwork gets done during the week. ... So why aren't dealers fully staffed on weekends, with all the accountants/clerks necessary? Rotate days off so their is at least 1 person from each department there as required. In today's business environment this only makes sense, but many dealerships either live in the past or are too arrogant to change their ways for their customer.
Bonzo, I'm not a dealer, but I do want to say one thing in their defense.

Most people finance their car purchases. And I don't know of any bank or other financial institutions (like GMAC) that operate their lending departments on Saturday or Sunday. Even banks that have teller hours on weekends have either none or very few hours where loan officers are available to process loan applications (maybe 9am to 11am or noon on Saturday, but that would be about it.) and then you may still need to wait until Monday for approval. This would not be controlled by the car dealers, but instead by the banking industry. And you've heard the term banker's hours, right?

So in this particular case, I would be inclined to side with the dealerships on this one, when they must interface with other businesses and agencies whose hours do not necessarily match that of the dealership.

·
Registered
5,302 Posts
Bonzo said:
Yeah but I've found this process to be total B.S. They can take your money on a weekend to make a down payment, but if something falls through and you get your $500 back, they say come back Monday, we can't do it on a weekend. B.S. If they can take your cash or money off your credit card on Saturday, they can put it back in on a Satuday too.

And this leads to my next thing that sucks about dealerships. I'd like to see the figures on when most cars are sold, but I'll bet the actual "I'll buy it" sale is on Saturdays and Sundays. Any figures are probably tainted because the paperwork gets done during the week. But who goes shopping for a car on a Tuesday? I don't know anyone that would take a vacation day from work to go car shopping. No, the mass public go looking at cars on weekends. So why aren't dealers fully staffed on weekends, with all the accountants/clerks necessary? Rotate days off so their is at least 1 person from each department there as required. In today's business environment this only makes sense, but many dealerships either live in the past or are too arrogant to change their ways for their customer.

I guess Im use to dealing with larger dealships in the northern va area...all have service departments open on Sats....and a staff to do all the paperwork to drive a car off the lot during the weekend...of course the provision is in the small print... you bring the car back if the loan isnt approved and you are responsible for other costs etc etc....all the finance staffs at the major dealerships here..process the loan, the title work, and registration work the same day.....and are normally the same perosn

I would think that any dealerships here..that get that car on Fri...would have it safety inspected..and we have to do an emissions test in this part of the state......and be ready to handle the customer that afternoon....this is a high profile car....I would hope most dealers will treat it has such....

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
theartfuldodger said:
Bonzo, you took that in a completely different tone than I did...I heard it totally different.

Sounded to me like SD said, "Dude, bummer. Too bad, 'cuz now yer pissed and if you'd seen those posts, you'd be chill." :cool:

Where as you heard," Argh! You dolt! How could you have posted such a comment when you should have already attained all of the knowledge encompassed within these great and noble pages!?!" :willy:
Yes, and I heard it that way because while SD is more than helpful to all of us 3rd stringers, and we truly thank him for all his knowledge sharing, he is also first to point out that we mortals are wrong 99% of the time, and the omnipotent dealers and GM are correct 99% of the time. This particular time it was the DEALERS fault, not the customers, because it was the dealers JOB as the Customer Service Agent to inform the customer of the situation. So anyone who drove 20 miles to pick up the car then couldn't has every right to be upset with the dealer.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts