Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Searched the forum, got lots of great info as always. I have a 2006 NA Solstice with LSD and 5 speed. Previous owner had diff serviced in April 2013 at local dealer because it "started making a howling noise out of the blue." Dealer reported no metal or material in the oil, installed 75/140 "gear guard" and "limited slip concentrate" and sent him packing. My symptoms are whining at most any speeds and chattering / maybe even tire scrubbing at low speeds on hard turns. I was a GM Tech in the 90's and this is definitely LSD related. Lots of the posts I read were 5+ years old. Can anyone tell me the latest and greatest? Info on this? I know lube and additive are crucial. I was debating using Royal Purple 85W 140 if factory lubes don't work. Also, is there a good source for replacement units remanned or used if the damage is already done? I saw a post somewhere that said 2008 and up were redesigned and the unit is shared with a Cadillac platform? Thanks for the help.

·
Premium Member
3,571 Posts
Sounds like you have gathered most of the info available already.
I have an 06, rear end was replaced early in it's life for the howl.
A brace was added to the design some time in 07 if I remember correctly.
Cadillac rear end is interchangeable, but has a different gear ratio.
Not much else to report, you will get more in depth feed back from some of the gurus that hang out here.

P.S.
I bought a spare back in 07, it's sitting in the basement just in case. LOL

·
Registered
5,430 Posts
Sorry Scoot - my knowledge is limited on this issue (as it is with most issues - lol). Anybody else?

Bueller?

Bueller?

·
Registered
53 Posts
I had the same issue. Considering the known issues with the diffs, I pursued the issue as a defect with GM to no avail. The GM route cost my $75 for an evaluation at the dealer in which they told me my diff was bad and that it was not a defect that caused it. The dealer then recommended I had them replace the diff which was ~1600 bucks to do. Out of all of my vehicles, I have never had diff issues let alone at 35k miles.

So, I told them to pound sand, and I got a diff off of ebay for $300. So for $300 bucks and a Saturday of my time I got it all fixed XD

Good as new.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am dumbfounded. I was an ASE certified master tech back in the early 1990's, worked at a Cadillac dealer. Driving and listening to this thing, I thought for sure I would need to rebuild this diff. Chattered bad at low speeds, lots of gear whine when under light load or transitioning from load to no load. Today I drained the diff and checked the fluid. It looked great. Previous owner had it changed about 1200 miles ago, so it should look decent, but the noises I was getting were horrible, so I expected lots of metal or clutch material. I put in Royal Purple 75W 90 and all bad symptoms vaporized. Sounds like a brand new diff. It was a Chevy / Cadillac dealer that serviced the diff back in April. I'm guessing they get a lot of comebacks when they do diff services.....So, trans fluid is next at this point. Car only has 57,000 miles, but if this stuff is that good in the diff, it's gotta be good for my manual trans. Just wish it wasn't $20 a quart.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@ Geologger, check out High Performance Synthetic Lubricants and Motor Oil - Royal Purple
It is synthetic gear lube with friction modifier already in it. This means it can be used in limited slip applications without any additives. I bought mine (75W / 90) at Advance Auto parts. I'm pretty sure auto zone carries it as well. I'm not sure where you can get it in Canada, but it is worth hunting it down. I have 30+ years experience in automotive repair. This stuff surprised me for sure. My diff had "01487 Gear Guard 75/140" and " Limited slip concentrate 01491" in it from a Chevy / Cadillac dealer visit by previous owner from April 2013. I purchased the car cheap from previous owner because he was locating overseas, he thout the diff was toast ( so did I) and he just wanted it gone. Needless to say I am pleased with Royal Purple.

·
Registered
1,195 Posts
^ I read that thread just now. Looks like the CTS offers a rear end cooler, wonder if its a pump/cooler assy.? That might be a good upgrade for the KAPPAs. A rear end cooler would also come in handy after a night of eating burgers with ghost peppers sprinkled on top!

·
Premium Member
140 Posts
Thanks Scooter. Looks like several outlets in Canada for Royal Purple: Canadian Tire (there's an outlet in every town in Canda!), Partspro.ca, Precisiontuning.ca. Price for the Max-Gear 75/140 is about $21 per quart.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was having chatter problems at low speed the last couple of years. GM did their thing last year according to their TSB. Drained the fluid, refilled, did the figure 8 thing, drained again, added the friction modifier additive. About 2500 miles later the chatter from the posi-traction started again. Once it got warm and I did any low speed tight turns noisy as hell. It's like the friction modifier just faded away over time.

Just replaced the diff lube with Royal Purple and now the noise is gone. The diff and rear end are very , very quiet. No telling if it stays away long term but the GM response to this problem just didn't work for me. The axle noise at low speeds was pretty bad, any tight cornering , lots of noise, not grinding but nearly as bad as metal on metal grinding. When the fluid was changed there wasn't a lot of metal shavings in it so it seems there wasn't damage being done, just noisy. Glad to see the Royal Purple diff fluid did get rid of it, really thought after the GM attempt using their suggested methods per their TSB that if it came back it was time for a new diff. Lets see if this lasts long term. The GM fix made it go away for a year or about 2500 miles ( I only drive the car on nice days in the summer). I note a lot of other GM forums with this same diff are using Royal Purple to eliminate the noise. The diff fluid I used was Royal Purple Max Gear 75W/90 it has the friction modifier built into it so it says. So far , so good but it's only been a couple of days. I bought the fluid at Cdn Tire.

·
Premium Member
3,858 Posts
I have been using their products in my cars for a number of years now with great results I am currently running the oil in my car and will be changing my trans and differential fluids when I finish up my suspension upgrades a lot of my friends who race only use their products in their cars and swear by the stuff. The above posts speak for themselves.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Well I can say I put in my G80 diff & it curied the problem. Now to run it a while & change it again in say 10K to be sure it is clean. Drained oil was black. BTW per what I can find out Valvoline SynPower & Pennzoil full Synthetic both meet the GM spec & do not need the modifier.

·
Registered
75 Posts
I've had this problem for years. Mine is a 2006 MY with NA engine and auto trans with LSD. 16,000 miles. Every time I get the fluid changed, the problem goes away for a while, and then comes back. The dealer won't cover a new replacement LSD, even though took it in for this while still under warranty (and after). Before I store it for the winter, I might take it to a local shop and have them put in Royal Purple!

·
Registered
174 Posts
Apollo,

Make sure your dealer is using the proper fluid. There is a LOT of confusion, even on the GM side. Originally, my dealer thought they were going to use GM fluid 88862625.

The TSB referenced (#10-04-20-001D) has been updated to remove the Solstice and Sky using the 88862624 (8886265 in Canada) lubricant. Note that TSB is dated 2011!!! Meaning GM didn't figure it fully out until 2011.

The accurate fluid for 2006/2007 is 89021677 (89021678 in Canada) with 1052358 (992694 in Canada) friction modifier if you have the LSD.

I had this done and the noise is gone. Now, I have only driven a couple of thousand miles on the car since the service, so we will see how long this lasts. Interestingly enough though, my work order noted that the fluid has a 'life long warranty'. Not sure if this means GM will continue to replace it if I have more issues.

Total dealer cost to drain and replace the fluids was only $90 CDN. Seemed cheap enough for me!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts