Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was never willing to pay the crazy price for a replacement passenger cup holder but recently bought a 3D printer.

So I modeled up a replacement and printed it real slow, hot, with no fan in PETg so it would be really strong.

Works great. The clear/white isnt optimum but its what i had at the time in PETg.

https://youtu.be/OsBuXn3hKGY

Attachments

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Very cool!

Though I understand your reasons for using PETG, I would think you could've printed in black ABS instead - since the original was ABS anyway (and you can always print another if it breaks :)). Also you can do the acetone-vapor polish trick with ABS and have it look more 'factory'.

Good for you on the thought, design and final result. Way to go!

@rob the elder, looks like we'll have to start a 3D print sub-forum ;)

·
Premium Member
3,645 Posts
I was never willing to pay the crazy price for a replacement passenger cup holder but recently bought a 3D printer.

So I modeled up a replacement and printed it real slow, hot, with no fan in PETg so it would be really strong.

Works great. The clear/white isnt optimum but its what i had at the time in PETg.

https://youtu.be/OsBuXn3hKGY
A very nice first-post to the forum.

:party:

·
Registered
5,049 Posts
Nice! If you share the STL file others without a printer can go through a service like shapeways.com and get them done. Or you can put it on their website and offer it for sale to others. I've done several prototypes in nylon 12 through that site for customers and they are quite durable.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I will try to get it on thingaverse tonight.

I dont have an enclosed printer so i dont print in ABS much but i should have used black PETG probably.

·
Premium Member
515 Posts
That cup holder you put together for me fell apart the first time I used it. I think that insert was still too short. I could use one of these if you fab some up.

·
Super Moderator
16,061 Posts
got my new printer driver software loaded and the thingverse file translated. Unfortunately, it is not coming out as a recognizable part. More like a large collection of spider webs. Something was lost in the translation.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I ordered some black PETG. So if anyone wants me to print them one I will. Say $12 shipped? Figuring 10 for the part 2 for shipping.

·
Registered
6,807 Posts
Just a heads-up. It will cost you ~$3 to send via USPS first class in a padded envelope, plus the cost of the envelope (50c from Dollar tree). Plus Canada folks will cost a fair bit more to send to.

1 - 20 of 101 Posts