Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

21 - 40 of 101 Posts

·
Registered
120 Posts
Riven,

Let me know when you get your black material, and your final cost shipping to 48422, and I'm in for one, maybe 2. Thus far I've never even used my cup holder because I'm afraid to....

Thanks...
Art

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
I got to thinking that before I start making and shipping these I should confirm.... My car is a 2006, are the cup holders of all years exactly the same?

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
The 2009 cup holders are an improved design. They are designed with a retention screw flang missing on the earlier design. Also, they have a modified folding mechanism with a travel stop mounded into the end of the retracting curved part

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Operator error. I had selected the support option but neglected to select support EVERYWHERE which actually lays it down. Sigh. Its printing now. It looks much better.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
As I mentioned I get the black material in on Wednesday. I will do a couple test prints to made sure the roll is good. Then, I will start cranking out some of these for you guys.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
This is the whole reason that I wanted to fix my cup holder.

I needed a cell phone holder and that seemed like the least destructive place to put it.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
Here is the result when done correctly. These are in ABS. Pretty strong and once a little sanding and trimming work very well.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
16,058 Posts
And in red for Punisher. I have several other colors as well. Thanks much for the file. I am going to one in nylon and carbon fiber to see how they turn out. Takes about half an hour and a few feet of material. Riven did the heavy lifting and this is his project.

Riven if you want one in ABS in a particular color, or maybe carbon fiber let me know and I will use you as my next test case.

Attachments

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
I tried it in ABS first but it didnt seem to slide well. The PETG is slicker for me. It almost feels lubed. Did you have any issues with it sliding smooth in ABS? It could just be me. I never got my ABS tuned in just right.
Another question, i see you did 40%ish?? Infill, does it still feel strong. I went straight to 100% when i did mine, I may be waisting plastic.

·
Registered
238 Posts
I tried it in ABS first but it didnt seem to slide well. The PETG is slicker for me. It almost feels lubed. Did you have any issues with it sliding smooth in ABS? It could just be me. I never got my ABS tuned in just right.
Another question, i see you did 40%ish?? Infill, does it still feel strong. I went straight to 100% when i did mine, I may be waisting plastic.
The Fiero console skeleton is ABS. As a result, it's nearly impossible to find one that isn't cracked and broken. If they'd made it out of a less brittle material (like nylon) few would be broken. I don't know much about PETg, but if it's like nylon and less prone to cracking than ABS, I think it's a superior material for this application.

·
Registered
88 Posts
If you do some Acetone vapor smoothing I'm willing to bet it'll be indistinguishable from a oem one.

I might give it a try later, I just hate printing in ABS.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Generally speaking PETG is supposed to be more durable than ABS, but durable is an interesting term people use for it. Its really more flexible, which in theory would increase durability, but it really all depends on the application.
This has only been in my car for about a week, so I really don't know how durable it is yet.

PETG had a glass transition temperature of 175 deg. ABS is a bit over 200 deg.

For those interested I had this site bookmarked when I first started reading about PETG.

https://rigid.ink/blogs/news/175700615-petg-filament-heres-what-you-need-to-know

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #39 (Edited)
My first test in black is done. I am going to break this one in a couple of ways to make sure the print settings are good for the new material.

I am going to do them all in 100% infill, but I am playing with adding more parameters (at 6 now) to keep the load going around continuous layers.

They take a couple hours to print, so they come off pretty quickly.

Attachments

21 - 40 of 101 Posts