Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been lurking for a few weeks, but finally joined the "club" with a 2006 Solstice. I've always liked the Solstice, but wasn't actively looking for one. Living in southwestern Pennsylvania where it's often raining or snowing, I convinced myself that a convertible just wasn't a wise choice. Then I happened upon a gorgeous Solstice for sale nearby on Craigslist. After one test drive, I was hooked. With 69,000 miles, the car appears to be completely stock, and very clean. And I'm excited to finally have a manual transmission again after many years of not driving one!

I noticed pretty quickly that the stock radio is pretty lousy, so of course that's one of the first things I plan to upgrade. Parts are already trickling in, so here's what I plan to do so far:
-restore the headlights (they're pretty oxidized)
-replace radio and speakers with a touchscreen unit with navigation and backup camera
-add foot well lighting
-put a carbon fiber wrap on the boomerang (only because previous owner had a gps or phone mount stuck on the dash that pulled the paint off, so now I have to paint it or cover it)
-add DDMWorks cup holder center console
-add German trunk lid support

I also noticed that the dead pedal foot rest is broken at the bottom, so I'm looking for one of those. No one else will ever notice, but now that I know about it, I have to look for one.

In a short time lurking, I've already learned so much here, and I look forward to being part of your community.

·
Premium Member
1,148 Posts
I've been lurking for a few weeks, but finally joined the "club" with a 2006 Solstice. I've always liked the Solstice, but wasn't actively looking for one. Living in southwestern Pennsylvania where it's often raining or snowing, I convinced myself that a convertible just wasn't a wise choice. Then I happened upon a gorgeous Solstice for sale nearby on Craigslist. After one test drive, I was hooked. With 69,000 miles, the car appears to be completely stock, and very clean. And I'm excited to finally have a manual transmission again after many years of not driving one!

I noticed pretty quickly that the stock radio is pretty lousy, so of course that's one of the first things I plan to upgrade. Parts are already trickling in, so here's what I plan to do so far:
-replace radio and speakers with a touchscreen unit with navigation and backup camera
-add foot well lighting
-put a carbon fiber wrap on the boomerang (only because previous owner had a gps or phone mount stuck on the dash that pulled the paint off, so now I have to paint it or cover it)

I also noticed that the dead pedal foot rest is broken at the bottom, so I'm looking for one of those. No one else will ever notice, but now that I know about it, I have to look for one.

In a short time lurking, I've already learned so much here, and I look forward to being part of your community.
welcome to the forum!! post a pic of your new ride.

·
Premium Member
2,079 Posts
Congratulation! So now the mods start. A DDM brace kit should be on your list. Have many miles of smiles.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My dead pedal is a base black plastic. I've read some of the threads here about them being discontinued by GM at this point. I did see a chrome version on ebay from a Saturn, but they were asking quite a lot, and I didn't really want the chrome. I thought about making one out of fiberglass, or even wood, but would rather see if I can find one first. Thanks.

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Congratulation! So now the mods start. A DDM brace kit should be on your list. Have many miles of smiles.
Thanks! So from your recommendation, I assume that there would be a noticeable difference with the brace kit? I've always been an SUV guy, and this is my first sports car. In fact, it's the first "car" that I've owned in 25 years. (My daily driver is a Dodge Durango R/T.) My point is that I don't have much to compare it to to know how it "should" drive. I was just excited to drive a stick again. What improvement should I expect from the brace kit?

·
Super Moderator
7,009 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

Most people have commented that the speakers are pretty good, so you might want to change the head unit before making a decision about replacing them.

Thanks! So from your recommendation, I assume that there would be a noticeable difference with the brace kit? I've always been an SUV guy, and this is my first sports car. In fact, it's the first "car" that I've owned in 25 years. (My daily driver is a Dodge Durango R/T.) My point is that I don't have much to compare it to to know how it "should" drive. I was just excited to drive a stick again. What improvement should I expect from the brace kit?
My opinion of the braces (many people will disagree, of course):
  • The rear suspension "ProBeam" will make an immediate and noticeable improvement in stability for all drivers
  • The tunnel "Backbone" will noticeably stiffen the car, which you may or may not like. I prefer the car without it.
  • The front "Venom Brace" made no noticeable difference at all. I tried it, it was in the way, and I removed it.

·
Premium Member
492 Posts
Welcome to the forum - after installing the braces, go find some sticky tires!

·
Registered
51 Posts

-add foot well lighting

You are going to Love It ! They are Squeaky, Rattling and sometimes an annoying cheap piece of plastic will break or fall off , but like that annoying little brother you love them to death ! It's in your blood now ! Welcome to the Family !

·
Registered
5,269 Posts
lol - Tuff's assessment is pretty much spot on. Like any ride, it has it's quirks but overall I think you'll love the snot out of it!

But of course that's just coming from another "adict" owner here....!

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Welcome to the forum, how far south and west in Pa are you, I'm near Waynesburg
I'm in Johnstown - not nearly as far south and west as you! It's nice to hear of others in the area, though. I've only seen one other Solstice on the road in recent memory, and the strangest thing is that it happened to be on the day that I was driving mine home! (It was in East Freedom, PA, in case that's anyone here's stomping ground.)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts