Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wow! This was unbelivable! I was just sitting at work and a guy came over and said that he could get me into the CREC building to see the solsitce! So I was like HELL YEAH! We drove over and got in the building and it was amazing! I got to sit in it, put the roof up and down and even talk to the guy who is the head of production delivey for canada!

He was very vague and he was saying a whole bunch of stuff but one improtatnt thing he did say was he expected to see units stating to be delivered mid July.

Today made my whole year, this car is so beautiful. And to top it off the car they had was my exact car that I ordered, Deep blue with black leather interior.

One thing I didn't expect was that it's really small, smaller then I remember it after seeing it at the Autoshow. The seats were amazingly comfortable and the visibilty for me was no problem.

Any questions? I'm still on a Solstice high at the moment.
BTW, I couldn't take any pics.

P.S. If you live in Oshawa and want to see it you can drive into the CREC parking lot and go around back. You can see the Solsitce it is parked up against the chanlink fence. They also have an RX-8, Cobalt SS and a Chevy HHR.

·
Registered
201 Posts
SlipSlider said:
Any questions? I'm still on a Solstice high at the moment.
BTW, I couldn't take any pics.

Wow, awesome good for you...:thumbs:

Did you get to put the top up/down?

·
Founding Member
5,849 Posts
Uh,oh, what do you mean it was real small, smaller than you remember it? Does it match those pictures we've been looking at?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
sight unseen said:
Wow, awesome good for you...:thumbs:

Did you get to put the top up/down?
yeah I did. It's really easy. You can do it with one hand from one side of the car. The only thing I noticed was that when you fold the top back onto the trunk and then close the truck its hard to tell if the truck closes all the way. It's hard to explain but there is no convincing snap or click.

The roof is small.. and again, smaller then I expected. The rear glass window is thin glass. It felt like plexyglass. But it wasn't plastic.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
solli4me said:
Uh,oh, what do you mean it was real small, smaller than you remember it? Does it match those pictures we've been looking at?
It's not bad that it was small. That was just an observation of mine. It's the same size as one in pictures but you don't realize the actual size of it till your right up next to it. I like that it's that small.

It's like you would never realize how big a hummer is till your right up next to it trying to get into it.

·
Premium Member
177 Posts
It's still bigger than the Miata I hope? According to the size chart it looks like its the same size as the BMW Z3. What do you think?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
kenf said:
It's still bigger than the Miata I hope? According to the size chart it looks like its the same size as the BMW Z3. What do you think?
It's got to be bigger then the Z3. It's perfect size anyway.

The guy mentioned that they had someone who was 6'8 300 lbs. sit in it and he fit in it fine, but he wasn't moving around much once he got in.

·
Registered
305 Posts
You are one lucky man!!!! Seems like everyone who sits in one finds it comfortable.

I am glad to hear they think cars will show up in July. This is about what I expected.

If I am real lucky the closer you are to the plant the sooner you will see your car. I am only about 2 hours away if that.

How tall are you? Seems like even if you are 6 foot tall it is not an issue.
Being 5'10'' and ~175 lbs, it seems like it will fit me like a glove.
My wife is about the same as me, but has longer legs I am more worried
about her (very picky).

How easy was it to attached/detach the top anchores into the top
of the trunk?

Do they release automatically when you pop the trunk?

I am jonesing to see one in person, the auto show I went to locally was
supose to have one, but did not. I was pissed. Oh well I went for it anyway
which is the carziest/smartest? thing I have ever done.

I am sure I will love the car.

Tell us anything you think of with your experience, we love it. :grouphug:

Thanks!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Sounds like an awesome experience! Can you give us a little more detail on how you fit, and your size? I am sure that is going to be a common question. How was leg room, shoulder room, hip room, etc. How did the shifter, pedals and steering wheel placement seem? How did the materials quality seem?

Essentially, give us a full blown review (as long as your allowed to tell us)! :lol:

·
Registered
146 Posts
way to go

That's pretty cool that the car was the same as yours! I can't wait to see, hear, drive, sit and have mine! Any Pics?

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Bought_It said:
You are one lucky man!!!! Seems like everyone who sits in one finds it comfortable.
I am glad to hear they think cars will show up in July. This is about what I expected.
If I am real lucky the closer you are to the plant the sooner you will see your car. I am only about 2 hours away if that.
How tall are you? Seems like even if you are 6 foot tall it is not an issue.
Being 5'10'' and ~175 lbs, it seems like it will fit me like a glove.
My wife is about the same as me, but has longer legs I am more worried
about her (very picky).
How easy was it to attached/detach the top anchores into the top
of the trunk?
Do they release automatically when you pop the trunk?
I am jonesing to see one in person, the auto show I went to locally was
supose to have one, but did not. I was pissed. Oh well I went for it anyway
which is the carzies/smartest? thing I have ever done.
I am sure I will love the car.
Tell us anything you think of with your experience, we love it. :grouphug:
Thanks!
I'm 5'10 and probably 160lbs.. and I fit in there perfect. So your fine for sure.

There are pins on the top that slide into the top of the windshiled and then from there you turn a level that locks the top to the windshiled.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fformula88 said:
Sounds like an awesome experience! Can you give us a little more detail on how you fit, and your size? I am sure that is going to be a common question. How was leg room, shoulder room, hip room, etc. How did the shifter, pedals and steering wheel placement seem? How did the materials quality seem?

Essentially, give us a full blown review (as long as your allowed to tell us)! :lol:
I'm not one for writing reports. But I'll try and remember as much as I can.

Like I stated above, I am 5'10 and 160lbs and I fit fine. I never figured fitting for me would be an issue so I never really gave it much thought. Everything was placed within reach, and the shifter was in a very comfortable position. That's one thing I remember. I gripped the wheel with one hand, got comforable in the seat and held the shifter.. man it felt awesome. Visibility for me was fine, the windshield was at eye level. The other guy that came with me was probably 6'1 and he made a comment about taller people might have trouble seeing out as the top of the windshield much be in their eye level (I believe the seat was all the way back).

Fit and finish in the interior was good. Nothing looked out of place (the guy said this one was built 3 weeks ago and fit and finish is even better now. That includes the top and body panels). I would equate the finish of the interior to the G6. And that's a good thing.

I opened up the stroage bn between the 2 seats and it was a lot smaller then I would have hoped. I could probably fit 10 cd cases stacked in it. It opened by pushing in a button and then when the button poped out you turn it to release the door. I would have liked this to be a lockable compartment.

The cup holders are right below the storage area, right behind your elbow. I believe they are positioned high enough that you will not hit them with your elbow while shifting. When in, the cupholders(2) are flush with the interior, then you just push it in and it folds out. There is another cup holder on the right side of the handle where the passengers left leg would rest. When you push that one in it folds out to a position right beside the handle. They guy said that that is the one that the driver would most likely use when the passenger seat is empty.

And the trunk "is a lot smaller then I would have thought"... When the top is down, there is no room. Don't kid yourself into thinking your going to put a gold bag in there, cause your not. With the top up there is a decent amout of room. You could put a golf bag and maybe 3 six packs of beer in it.

The top fit kinda ugly. Those fins that snap down to the trunk don't look smooth. They seem to fit ugly and they even look ugly (the cloth).

Anything else people would want me to discribe.

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
hojopa said:
That's pretty cool that the car was the same as yours! I can't wait to see, hear, drive, sit and have mine! Any Pics?

No, i'm not allowed to bring cameras onto GM property.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
SlipSlider said:
I'm not one for writing reports. But I'll try and remember as much as I can.
You did a great job describing it! Thanks!

On the wings, did the material look wavy or wrinkled like we saw in the pictures from the factory's auto show? Is that what you meant by ugly?

·
4,592 Posts
SlipSlider said:
The top fit kinda ugly. Those fins that snap down to the trunk don't look smooth. They seem to fit ugly and they even look ugly (the cloth).
Good review SlipSider!

About the top, OUCH!

The top will be a must see for me to make a decision. Those pics from the plant a week ago didn't get me far either. Then again, a roadster can go almost year around with the top down here in so cal!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Good review SlipSider!

About the top, OUCH!

The top will be a must see for me to make a decision. Those pics from the plant a week ago didn't get me far either. Then again, a roadster can go almost year around with the top down here in so cal!
You could just remove the top from the car. Then you would have trunk space and open air motoring! Not just one or the other! :cool: :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
You could just remove the top from the car. Then you would have trunk space and open air motoring! Not just one or the other! :cool: :lol:
I was going to type that exact thing, I can't think of why I didn't ;)

There is the solution, everyone should buy a Solstice, rip of the top, throw a cooler full of food and drink in the trunk, and move to the southwest USA :lol:

·
Registered
1,452 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
Fformula88 said:
You did a great job describing it! Thanks!

On the wings, did the material look wavy or wrinkled like we saw in the pictures from the factory's auto show? Is that what you meant by ugly?
The actual top... top.. looked good. It wasn't wavy or wrinkled. It was those fins that were ugly. I like the idea of them, and they look cool when they are snapped in. It's just the material on them looked ugly, looked like they used way too much stiching. I didn't think they snapped in tight enough either. They snapped in and then kinda bounced back up a bit.. that was weird. That might have been the "fit" issues.. he also said that it still leaks in some places. But it will not ship with leaks.

Everyone there had their mouths open.. No one had any thing bad to say about it. I heard many people proclaim "Nicest looking car GM has ever made".

Bottom line, if you put a preorder in and you're wondering if it was the right decision then until today I was in your shoes. And now, I KNOW it was the right decision.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
And to top it off the car they had was my exact car that I ordered, Deep blue with black leather interior.
Was the interior all the same color of black? I mean was the dash, door panels, plastic bits, etc black or different shades of dark gray?

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Minor thing, but did you sit with your arm out the window? Was it comfortable? Did you try getting in and out of the car with the top up? Was it easy or contortionist act?

I'm just curious, I'm getting mine no matter what.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts