Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello

Is anyone riding on firestone firehawk indi 500's? Narrowing things down to michelin s4 and a few others. My Hankook v12's are getting on..they've been pretty good on my 07 gxp but I'd like to get the very best for spirited handling.

Thanks for any input.

Also I have one polished wheel with some road rash i may want to replace while I'm at it if anyone is selling just one in very good condition.

· Registered
410 Posts
I put the Pilot Sports on my car as soon as I got it. Only other tire I might throw on there are the Yokahama Advan Sports but they are quite expensive.

· Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,626 Posts
I have the Indy’s as do quite a few others here.
Love mine for spirited driving in the twisty turny mountains.

· Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,855 Posts
It's not too often when you can find the tire that works perfect with a vehicle. If you are OK with using a high performance tire that has no mileage guarantee the Indy 500's are hands down the best bang for your buck. Don't expect to get 30k+ miles out of them. I have a set on my car and they need to be replaced after about 12K miles. I drive it like I stole it and I live in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado so I drive some pretty twisty roads. It has taken me 3 or 4 years to rack up the 10K miles so I got my moneys worth out of the tires.

They are fantastic on dry roads, far better then one would believe on wet roads and snow you can forget about going anywhere. The tires are a soft compound tire and work best in warm dry weather. The tires have a stiff sidewall and I recommend 25 to 26 PSI when the tires are hot. That pressure gives the tire a nice even wear and doesn't make the ride too stiff. Mess around with the tire pressure to find you liking. 1/2 a PSI on inflation can make a lot of difference in how the car handles and also how it feels.

Reactions: The Silver Fox

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
It's not too often when you can find the tire that works perfect with a vehicle. If you are OK with using a high performance tire that has no mileage guarantee the Indy 500's are hands down the best bang for your buck. Don't expect to get 30k+ miles out of them. I have a set on my car and they need to be replaced after about 12K miles. I drive it like I stole it and I live in the Rocky Mountains of Colorado so I drive some pretty twisty roads. It has taken me 3 or 4 years to rack up the 10K miles so I got my moneys worth out of the tires.

They are fantastic on dry roads, far better then one would believe on wet roads and snow you can forget about going anywhere. The tires are a soft compound tire and work best in warm dry weather. The tires have a stiff sidewall and I recommend 25 to 26 PSI when the tires are hot. That pressure gives the tire a nice even wear and doesn't make the ride too stiff. Mess around with the tire pressure to find you liking. 1/2 a PSI on inflation can make a lot of difference in how the car handles and also how it feels.
Wow thanks for the info.

I put maybe 3k miles a year totally joyriding garage queen never gets wet and no snow in va.
Never put the top up.
Hope fires aren't any noisier than my Hankooks
I bought a set of Pirelli P zero's and have never been more satisified with any tire. Fantastic ride, excellent handling.
I bought a set of Pirelli P zero's and have never been more satisified with any tire. Fantastic ride, excellent handling.
@07 Boss
Ever tried the Advan A048's?? They are pretty sick tires.
will check them out thanks

· Registered
7,855 Posts
They will be quieter. The Indy 500's are a soft compound. When tires are noisy it is usually because the tires are made using a harder compound. Any tire that has a mileage guarantee is going to be made from a harder compound.

Reactions: HHGadget

· Registered
109 Posts
The Indy 500's are great. I have had them for a couple years now. Great rain performance, handled great on the Tail of the Dragon, and a couple road rally's I have been on. The only tire I like better were the Goodyear F1's but they were discontinued for the two sizes I needed. I have a wider tire in the rear, helps in solo competition. Pricing is affordable also.

Reactions: HHGadget

· Registered
327 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The Indy 500's are great. I have had them for a couple years now. Great rain performance, handled great on the Tail of the Dragon, and a couple road rally's I have been on. The only tire I like better were the Goodyear F1's but they were discontinued for the two sizes I needed. I have a wider tire in the rear, helps in solo competition. Pricing is affordable also.
Thanks.....appreciate the input !

· Registered
7,855 Posts
The Ford Explorer was first offered for sale in March 1990.[22] The Explorer was originally designed by taking an SUV cabin and attaching it to a Ford Ranger undercarriage. This cut the cost of producing the new Explorer because Ford could use existing facilities, parts, and robots and would not have to design everything from scratch.[23] This created problems though. Because the Explorer added more upper cabin weight to the already somewhat higher pickup chassis, it had a higher center of gravity and was more likely to roll over in the event of an accident. It was also more likely to sway during sharp turns because it used the same leaf spring suspension that is found on the Ranger.[23] The likelihood of a crash and likelihood of injuries and fatalities from a crash were greater in an SUV experiencing a tread separation than on a pickup truck.[1]

Ford came up with three options for correcting this problem; use shorter suspension springs to lower the vehicle half an inch in the front and 1 inch in the back, lower the tire pressure to give the Explorer a more car-like ride, or widen the wheel base by two inches which would involve a substantial redesign.[23] After the Explorer rolled over in company tests prior to production Ford decided to lower the suspension and remove air from the tires to 26 psi compared to 35 psi for the same tires on the Ranger.[14][24] They did not widen the wheel base. One consequence of lowering the tire pressure is increased tire temperatures which could lead to a tire failure.[25] Firestone warrantied these tires at 26 psi for 11 years
The whole firesone tire deal wa a combination of things. It was just as much Ford fault if not more so because of the design of the Explorer where a simply gust of wind would roll the thing over. This happened to my brother in law. Stiff gust of wind at maybe 50MP and the thing rolled right over as he was driving down the road.

· Registered
7,855 Posts
I am only a fan of a tire that works for a vehicle. If you put the Indy 500's on say a Yugo I would not be a "fan" of them.. I am all for whatever tire works the best for a particular vehicle for the the intended purpose of the vehicle is. In this case it is the Indy 500's for the Solstice. In the case of a 2005 Hyundai Tuscon I used to own it was Kelly tires. On my MKS it is some off brand decently made snow tire that has performed the best even as a summer performance tire. The tire that is on my MKZ is a god awful tire that I would never recommend to anyone that drives an MKZ, the tire could perform fantastic on that Yugo for all I know.

Ford Explorers have been known through almost their entire existence that they are top heavy and like to roll over. This is especially known about the 1990's Explorers and in those vehicles on the sun visor there is a label that states they are top heavy and will roll over easily. So to place the entire blame on the tires being the fault of those people dying is badly placed blame. The time tires on say a Solstice would the Solstice roll over and kill people?? Not it would not. The deaths of the people are because of how easily the Explorer would roll over. The tires should not have had their treads separating and had that not taken place the roll over would not have happened but the same tire on another vehicle and had the tread separated on that vehicle the occupants would walk away unscathed. Had Ford not put that low of a recommended PSI rating for the tire in order to save money on designing a chassis that would not be as easy to roll over the tires would not have heated up like they did and the tread would not have separated. Lots of other vehicles had those tires and none had the tread separation problems. Only on the Explorer and that was linked to the recommended pressure that Ford gave the vehicle and being a catalyst for the problem.

This is one of those things that both Ford and Firestone didn't do the right thing and both companies tried to keep it hidden and then when it was discovered they pointed fingers at each other in the blame game instead of both doing what they should have done and owned the problem and handled it together to make things right.

Google and Samsung did the same finger pointing thing when the batteries in Samsung phones started exploding because of the batteries going into thermal runaway. Same kind of thing going on with EV batteries catching fire. Car manufacturer is pointing fingers saying bad batteries and battery manufacturer pointing fingers saying bad software managing the battery. In the middle there is the home owner that now has no house because it burned down from the vehicle catching fire.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts