Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
I am only a fan of a tire that works for a vehicle. If you put the Indy 500's on say a Yugo I would not be a "fan" of them.. I am all for whatever tire works the best for a particular vehicle for the the intended purpose of the vehicle is. In this case it is the Indy 500's for the Solstice. In the case of a 2005 Hyundai Tuscon I used to own it was Kelly tires. On my MKS it is some off brand decently made snow tire that has performed the best even as a summer performance tire. The tire that is on my MKZ is a god awful tire that I would never recommend to anyone that drives an MKZ, the tire could perform fantastic on that Yugo for all I know.

Ford Explorers have been known through almost their entire existence that they are top heavy and like to roll over. This is especially known about the 1990's Explorers and in those vehicles on the sun visor there is a label that states they are top heavy and will roll over easily. So to place the entire blame on the tires being the fault of those people dying is badly placed blame. The time tires on say a Solstice would the Solstice roll over and kill people?? Not it would not. The deaths of the people are because of how easily the Explorer would roll over. The tires should not have had their treads separating and had that not taken place the roll over would not have happened but the same tire on another vehicle and had the tread separated on that vehicle the occupants would walk away unscathed. Had Ford not put that low of a recommended PSI rating for the tire in order to save money on designing a chassis that would not be as easy to roll over the tires would not have heated up like they did and the tread would not have separated. Lots of other vehicles had those tires and none had the tread separation problems. Only on the Explorer and that was linked to the recommended pressure that Ford gave the vehicle and being a catalyst for the problem.

This is one of those things that both Ford and Firestone didn't do the right thing and both companies tried to keep it hidden and then when it was discovered they pointed fingers at each other in the blame game instead of both doing what they should have done and owned the problem and handled it together to make things right.

Google and Samsung did the same finger pointing thing when the batteries in Samsung phones started exploding because of the batteries going into thermal runaway. Same kind of thing going on with EV batteries catching fire. Car manufacturer is pointing fingers saying bad batteries and battery manufacturer pointing fingers saying bad software managing the battery. In the middle there is the home owner that now has no house because it burned down from the vehicle catching fire.
Thanks for the analysis, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2007 Solstice GXP Mysterious
936 Posts
Thanks for the analysis, much appreciated.
My ex-wife had a Blazer during the whole Explorer mishigoss. It had Firestone tires that were actually overinflated. She had a blowout doing at least 80 on I95. She got out of the truck, changed the tire, and drove home. Later, when she had an Avalanche, it came with a set of Firestones, and when I replaced them, I got more. The 500 was a crappy tire, but the rollovers were entirely Ford's fault.

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
My ex-wife had a Blazer during the whole Explorer mishigoss. It had Firestone tires that were actually overinflated. She had a blowout doing at least 80 on I95. She got out of the truck, changed the tire, and drove home. Later, when she had an Avalanche, it came with a set of Firestones, and when I replaced them, I got more. The 500 was a crappy tire, but the rollovers were entirely Ford's fault.
The tread separation that the Firestones were experiencing sounded more like the problem she had with the evaporating tire that made you hate Michelin.
Even at that, it is impressive that she could have a front tire blow out at 80 and control the vehicle well enough to not damage anything.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
4,581 Posts
Ehhh, not always. I need new tires; don't know what I'm going to get but know what I'm not going to get. Suggestions for non-theivingstones welcome.
Well both on the internet and from many people I know the pilot super sports (PS4s?) are pretty much as good as it gets.
They are pricey but I don’t know anyone personally that runs them that has a bad thing to say about them and if your buying a super summer tire and you are even thinking about tread life just move on to another class of tire as you are misunderstanding what it was made for.
I personally love my Indy’s and the OP asked for feedback from people that have them.
They remind me a lot of my star specs I ran on my last solstice and I really liked those back then too.

But the OP did mention in the first post that they wanted “the best” and as great as the Indy’s are for me, if money had not been a part of the equation I would have gone with the Michelins.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
7,775 Posts
The best? the definition of best is subjective and has lots of variables as well. The best at what? off the line or cornering? The best in the wet or on dry? the best in hot weather or cooler?.. unfortunately there is not one brand or model tire that fills the bill for any of those driving conditions.

The best street legal road track tire I have ever had was the Yokohama Advan A048's Specifically the compound that was used for the Lotus Elise. I do not know if that compound tire is available in any other tire size then what the Lotus Elise has from the factory. It might be. This tire sucked on anything other then hot dry pavement. If the pavement was too cool it was like driving in Crisco. Forget about snow and wet roads could be done but you would have to drive as if you were driving in snow, slow as hell and with great care. on a 1900lb car the tires were good for 6,000 miles. on a 2900lb car I would guess < 4,000 miles. When I owned my Lotus Elise some 12 to 13 years ago the tires cost about 400 each installed. But of you put any other tire on the car you would loose a heap load of handling and feedback. It would change the whole experience of driving the car to one that was no where near as good.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
I say the Indy 500's are the best bang for your buck high performance summer tire. There isn't a tire made that will do what the Indy's do for what they cost. A better tire may give you 10% or 15% better traction and handling but they will cost you 2 to 3 times more money. Unless you are running the vehicle in a competition spending almost 2 grand on tires and getting only 10% better traction and handling would be money well spent. That is just my thoughts and others might feel it is worth spending the money on. I have things that I can spend the additional money on that would make me a whole lot happier.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
The tread separation that the Firestones were experiencing sounded more like the problem she had with the evaporating tire that made you hate Michelin.
Even at that, it is impressive that she could have a front tire blow out at 80 and control the vehicle well enough to not damage anything.
Is itvtruecthat b
I say the Indy 500's are the best bang for your buck high performance summer tire. There isn't a tire made that will do what the Indy's do for what they cost. A better tire may give you 10% or 15% better traction and handling but they will cost you 2 to 3 times more money. Unless you are running the vehicle in a competition spending almost 2 grand on tires and getting only 10% better traction and handling would be money well spent. That is just my thoughts and others might feel it is worth spending the money on. I have things that I can spend the additional money on that would make me a whole lot happier.
Hello All,
I think I generated this discussion...
So I've ordered up the indies at my local firestone...so many good reviews.
The out the door price is $1034.00. By getting thier credit card and a $90 rebate plus 5% off my first purchase it comes to $892.41. Also getting $30 off alignment.
I don't care about tread life as I only put a few thousand miles a year on my garage queen 07 gxp and never get it wet so even wet driving doesn't matter. I drive all year in virginia with the top down and we get almost no snow here so I think I'm good.

I really have enjoyed all the opinions and feedback.

Cheers to all!

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
As a suggestion. If you have TPM (Tire Pressure Monitoring) in your car get the sensors replace if they have not been. The batteries in the sensors are only rated to last 10 years. So if they haven't been replaced you are on borrowed time. The labor to install them when a tire change is being done will be a sizeable amount lower then having to take the tires off to install them later on.

If you have already replaced them I am one to replace things before they break. The TPM sensors are mounted to the wheel by the actual fill stem. You can tell because the stem is made from metal and not rubber. Inside of that fill stem are O-rings that seal the sensor to the wheel. Those O-rings are made of rubber and just like any rubber it dries out and will crack. Every time I do a tire change on my vehicle I have them rebuild those stems. It's only a couple of bucks for the rebuild kit and the typical labor charge is 5 to 10 bucks. For the small amount of money spent you can be more comfortable about not having an issue that has the potential to cost a lot of money in towing charges the replacement of the sensor should the tire go flat while you are driving and the possibility of damaging the wheel should the tire go flat when driving at highway speeds. When those O-rings fail a lot of the time the tire will go flat in a big hurry not leaving you a whole lot of time to pull off the highway before the tire comes apart.

The rebuild kits are not something that is normally stocked and they will also have to be ordered. I have heard mixed reviews on the "universal" type of sensors that tire places have. it's up to you if you want to use universal or something more specific to the system in the vehicle. I do not know what the costs are as I am coming up on my next tire change as well and will soon find out because I have to replace my sensors too.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
As a suggestion. If you are getting 4 tires, alignment and also the sensors you have leverage to wheel and deal. So when they tell you a price hem and haw about it a little and say things like "That's more then I was thinking it would be" and "I'm going to have to check my finances" Those are what I call be back bus phrases. Once a person gets on that bus they never come back. Sales people know this and they do not want you to get on that bus. Depending on the salesman you can say straight out "You can do better then that"

One other thing you can do is call TireRack.com. call them on the phone tell them the vehicle and the tire you want and the TPM sensors if you need them. Work them for their best price. Have them make a quote and get the quote number. Most times you can get a crazy good deal from them when you call them on the phone. Do not buy from them. Once they do the quote up if it is cheaper then the deal you got call the place and tell them the price you were given from TireRack. Most places will beat the price. I got a set of 4 studded winter tires , 4 wheels and 4 TPM sensors for a Hyundai Accent for 600 bucks mounted, balanced and put on the car. The car had pizza cutters for tires and they were 15" wheels which is a lot cheaper but that price with the wheels for studded snow tires is crazy. This was 8 years ago and prices are higher but 8 years ago that was still a great deal.

Check it out and see what happens worst thing that can happen is you don't get a better deal and an hour of time is spent. You could end up with a great deal and save a hundred or hundred and a half.ya never know. I spent a tad over 600 for my Indy's out the door with rebuilding the TPM sensors. That was 3 years ago.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #31 ·
As a suggestion. If you are getting 4 tires, alignment and also the sensors you have leverage to wheel and deal. So when they tell you a price hem and haw about it a little and say things like "That's more then I was thinking it would be" and "I'm going to have to check my finances" Those are what I call be back bus phrases. Once a person gets on that bus they never come back. Sales people know this and they do not want you to get on that bus. Depending on the salesman you can say straight out "You can do better then that"

One other thing you can do is call TireRack.com. call them on the phone tell them the vehicle and the tire you want and the TPM sensors if you need them. Work them for their best price. Have them make a quote and get the quote number. Most times you can get a crazy good deal from them when you call them on the phone. Do not buy from them. Once they do the quote up if it is cheaper then the deal you got call the place and tell them the price you were given from TireRack. Most places will beat the price. I got a set of 4 studded winter tires , 4 wheels and 4 TPM sensors for a Hyundai Accent for 600 bucks mounted, balanced and put on the car. The car had pizza cutters for tires and they were 15" wheels which is a lot cheaper but that price with the wheels for studded snow tires is crazy. This was 8 years ago and prices are higher but 8 years ago that was still a great deal.

Check it out and see what happens worst thing that can happen is you don't get a better deal and an hour of time is spent. You could end up with a great deal and save a hundred or hundred and a half.ya never know. I spent a tad over 600 for my Indy's out the door with rebuilding the TPM sensors. That was 3 years ago.
That's all good advice. The price of the tires ranges from $239 to $211 (walmart)Walmart, so the prices have just plain gone way up in the last couple of years. The local discount tire was exactly Firestones price. But I am a natural borm bargainer so I'll try my best . Thanks for the advice. I don't have tpm on my 07. That came in 08 i believe.

·
Registered
7,775 Posts
It is standard in 2008 I thought it was an option for 07. I could be wrong tho.

Yeah I know prices have gone way up in the past 2 to 3 years. You said you got the tires mounted, balanced, disposal and also an alignment for 892.41 that is a good deal. I may have misunderstood tho Not sure if that was the price for the tires only. If that was the price that puts the cost of the tires close to 750ish when taking 125 off for the alignment. So not bad if that is the case.

I drive my car hard and I live in the Rocky Mountains and some of the roads are quite the rush to drive on. My tires are not quite at the wear bars but I would say all in all about 12,000 miles is what I got out of them over a 3.5 year span of time. Totally worth it to me because I don't put a lot of mileage on the car either but the miles I do but on it are a lot of fun and definitely got the blood pumping.

·
Registered
326 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
It is standard in 2008 I thought it was an option for 07. I could be wrong tho.

Yeah I know prices have gone way up in the past 2 to 3 years. You said you got the tires mounted, balanced, disposal and also an alignment for 892.41 that is a good deal. I may have misunderstood tho Not sure if that was the price for the tires only. If that was the price that puts the cost of the tires close to 750ish when taking 125 off for the alignment. So not bad if that is the case.

I drive my car hard and I live in the Rocky Mountains and some of the roads are quite the rush to drive on. My tires are not quite at the wear bars but I would say all in all about 12,000 miles is what I got out of them over a 3.5 year span of time. Totally worth it to me because I don't put a lot of mileage on the car either but the miles I do but on it are a lot of fun and definitely got the blood pumping.
That price is everything but alignment but I have a $30 coupon off that (whatever it costs...don't know yet) and that's a "lifetime alignment ". Yea it seems like a good deal, deferred interest and all that incentive stuff.

Cheers

Kent

·
Registered
2 Posts
Purchased 07 GXP with 9,200 (not a misprint) miles on her is 2016. I added B-tune and DDMWorks brace kit. The OEM tires of course had lots of tread on them still however they were older than I was comfortable with knowing I had trips planned to the smokey mountains including "The Dragon" so I put fresh rubber on it. Normal research on such stuff and I put on a set of Bridgestone G-Force Comp 2s. They were superior to the old rubber from the factory but not sure what factory ones were and being so old, it was not surprising. The mountain trips were pure joy in the Solstice with less than 1K miles on them. I'm sure there are much cheaper sets but I'm a firm believer in not skimping when it comes to tires no matter what I am driving. Only have 26K on the Solstice now but I'm noticing the tires aren't quite as good as they were but then they are 8 years old. Any who I too may be looking soon for UHP tires soon even though I have plenty of tread left.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I am pretty much in the same boat as you 2wrdr... Car has Goodyear Eagle F1 on it, plenty of tread since they only have about 20k on them, but they're at least 13 years old. They are hard as a rock, make a lot of noise in any hard turn, and just don't inspire confidence. I had planned to put new tires on it this year, but we never drove the car - I took it out once a few weeks ago. Since in the past we have driven it anytime they hadn't salted the roads, I want a good all season tire. I'm between a Michelin Pilot Sport AS4 and the Continental Extremecontact DWS 06 plus. I have experience with both, leaning towards the Continentals...

·
Administrator
12,114 Posts
I don't know anything about the Contis, but have the Michelins on both of my cars and am very happy with them.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I have the Contis on our Cayenne. Not really a good comparison since it weighs twice what the Solstice does, but I have been happy with them. I also put the Michelins on our Beetle TDI, but didn't drive on them all that long before switching to the winter tires. I know they're both plenty of tire for a 2.4 Solstice, one is about $100 less for the set.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts