Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the firm price of $19,995 including destination charge, will there be a shortage of Solstices? Is Pontiac's intent to create a huge buzz around the product. How long will the firm price stay firm? until 2007 since it is a 2006 model released in summer 2005?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
In beginning there will be shortages mainly because of ramping up of production volume. I'm guessing price will be good for 1 model year but it's just a guess.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
GM has officially said they're not making the same mistake as the GTO and SSR as well. THey're not going to over produce for the first year model introduction.

·
Registered
163 Posts
They will produce whatever the public demands. If the Solstice is selling then GM will build. Come on guys do you really think GM is going to say - you can't have one because there are no more? :crazy: This is a $20K car - not much markup and GM will have to sell as many as possible to make the $$$$ - and they will produce. :agree:

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
AJC said:
They will produce whatever the public demands. If the Solstice is selling then GM will build. Come on guys do you really think GM is going to say - you can't have one because there are no more? :crazy: This is a $20K car - not much markup and GM will have to sell as many as possible to make the $$$$ - and they will produce. :agree:
Hmmm - I don't know what GM will do. GM doesn't seem to do very well at building a positioning map. Each different brand seems to think in some different bazaar manner. Pontiac GTO - cuts into Corvette market (or it might if it actually sold). This could also cut into convertible Corvette market (not on price but somewhat on function). G6 convertible and this are similar in function (both convertibles & margins are probably higher on G6). Sky is almost the same car with different body panels except that I probably can use my GM card on this one. One article even mentions that the Sky is being used to get rid of some of the boring image on the Saturn side.

I have a chevy prizm which has some of the highest customer satisfaction numbers - according to the last year's chevy prizm brochure. GM stops making it. Not sure why. Maybe not making enough on repair work or was cutting into the market between cavalier/malibu/sunfire/grandam.

Selling as many as possible of this car without much margin may just be cutting into their own margins on other cars. =Don't produce too many to sell other cars/increase price on this model/low volume output to keep buzz.

GM gets you on the lot. A certain number of potential buyers on lot = a certain percentage of cars sold & not necessarily Solstices.

·
Registered
97 Posts
Even if there is higher than expected demand, don't expect them to suddenly start cranking them out. There is a lot that goes into manufacturing a vehicle. You see, they plan out how many they'd like to build beforehand. Then they have to get all the parts suppliers in line to build that pre-determined number of vehicles. Just because the plant has sufficient capacity to build more doesn't mean they can. It all depends on the parts suppliers, if they are able to make 30,000 units of a part when initially they were told they were only going to have to produce 20,000 of them. Remember, it only takes a shortage of ONE part to make it so they can't build more than they initially expected. It can take a heck of a long time to add additional capacity to manufacture a part. Take the Duramax Diesel in the GM Pickups. That engine has been out since fall of 2000 and they STILL don't have enough capacity to meet the demand of that engine. They still can't make enough to put one in every truck they build. It varies, but right now they only have 1 engine for every 2 Crew Cab trucks built.

As for the cancellation of the Chevy Prism: They redesigned the car it was based off of (Toyota Corolla) in '03 and gave Pontiac the Vibe (Corolla based). I don't think the Prism really fit into the Chevy lineup of cars anyway, with the new Aveo and Cobalt on the way. They didn't need it anymore. Had nothing to do with not enough service work for dealers. Absolutely not. Cars aren't designed so they'll break later on so the dealers will have something to do in their service department. Their goal is to create a very reliable vehicle so people will have a good experience with it and want to buy another one of the same brand later on. Nobody wins by building cars to consistenly break down.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
eatoninside said:
Cars aren't designed so they'll break later on so the dealers will have something to do in their service department. Their goal is to create a very reliable vehicle so people will have a good experience with it and want to buy another one of the same brand later on. Nobody wins by building cars to consistenly break down.
That's not necessarily true. There is the principle of "planned obselescence." If you ask a conspiracy theorist, he'll tell you that's why DeLorean got framed on drummed up cocaine charges and run out of Detroit. Because he was making his cars out of stainless steel so they'd never rust out, and customers would never want to buy another car because DMC cars would last forever. Yeah :glol: :smash: we all know how reliable DeLoreans turned out to be!

What a crock!

·
5,600 Posts
eatoninside said:
Nobody wins by building cars to consistenly break down.
Amen! :agree:

As we saw during the "planned obsolescence" years of the Seventies, it took GM 25 years to convince the public they sold reliable products. I think GM learned from that drastic mistake.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
eatoninside said:
I don't think the Prism really fit into the Chevy lineup of cars anyway, with the new Aveo and Cobalt on the way. They didn't need it anymore. Had nothing to do with not enough service work for dealers. Absolutely not. Cars aren't designed so they'll break later on so the dealers will have something to do in their service department. Their goal is to create a very reliable vehicle so people will have a good experience with it and want to buy another one of the same brand later on. Nobody wins by building cars to consistenly break down.
I think this is a positioning/margin problem. I would have bought another carolla I mean prism if they would have continue to make them. I'm half tempted to buy a Matrix I mean Vibe, but I'm a bit turned off by owning a station wagon. Again GM brands don't seem to give much thought about positioning their products compared to their own products and compared to competitors' products. But, they do seem to be waking up a bit. g6 convertible should compete nicely w/ sebring convertible. Solstice against miata/toyota spyder/s2000 (kinda). But, then again they just threw out their muscle cars - firebird and camaro and don't really have anything to compete w/ mustang. Unless the cobalt ss is considered competition. GM seems to not consider that customers in market segments bought and liked these products/ and then they haphazardly stop/start making them. Keep the name and function and improve the product.

I could be wrong but Seems like Toyota and Honda still have the same car names - Accord, camry, carolla, civic, etc.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts