Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Forgive me for I haven't read all the info about the first 1,000 orders. I see that there is a dealer in NY that is selling two of the first 1,000 for $3,000 over sticker. I had thought that all of the first 1,000 Solstice's were pre sold to customers?

This seems inexcusable that same dealership has two up for sale? Any thoughts on why this is occurring?

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
Marc NY said:
Forgive me for I haven't read all the info about the first 1,000 orders. I see that there is a dealer in NY that is selling two of the first 1,000 for $3,000 over sticker. I had thought that all of the first 1,000 Solstice's were pre sold to customers?

This seems inexcusable that same dealership has two up for sale? Any thoughts on why this is occurring?
If the cars were ordered by a specific customer, who then declined delivery of the car once it arrived, it would then be available for the dealer to sell. But if a single dealer has 2 First 1000 cars listed for sale, and with a mark-up, I would be quite suspicious. It seems like an odd coincidence that two First 1000 customers would decline delivery of their cars.

You should report the dealer to GM, and ask GM to look into whether these EOP orders were handled correctly. Especially since one of the important parts of the First 1000 program revolved around GM "strongly encouraging" dealers to sell these First 1000 cars at MSRP.

·
Registered
472 Posts

·
Registered
141 Posts
Check your PM

Marc NY said:

Curious ??

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dengel said:
If the cars were ordered by a specific customer, who then declined delivery of the car once it arrived, it would then be available for the dealer to sell. But if a single dealer has 2 First 1000 cars listed for sale, and with a mark-up, I would be quite suspicious. It seems like an odd coincidence that two First 1000 customers would decline delivery of their cars.

You should report the dealer to GM, and ask GM to look into whether these EOP orders were handled correctly. Especially since one of the important parts of the First 1000 program revolved around GM "strongly encouraging" dealers to sell these First 1000 cars at MSRP.
encouraged MSRP to original customer. Since sale to other than original customer may deduct a future allocation, and unless dealer violates some other part of program or otherwise ticks off GM then that would be the only penalty. As far as selling over MSRP...I don't care for it any more than the next person but to prevent it completely there has to be a change in federal trade laws.

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
achieftain said:
As far as selling over MSRP...I don't care for it any more than the next person but to prevent it completely there has to be a change in federal trade laws.
So when you go to sell your car you wouldn't be bothered if the government set that price either?

MSRP = Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
LBJay said:
So when you go to sell your car you wouldn't be bothered if the government set that price either?

MSRP = Manufacturer's SUGGESTED Retail Price
No it is not that I don't think that market conditions can certainly bring about situations where MSRP is just the starting point to go upwards. Example of situation that does not seem quite right: my nephew needed a door handle part for his Kia Sephia. Kia has an online catalog that lets him find the part by number and MSRP is $33.60. Several online dealers have the part for MSRP and will only charge outgoing shipping additional, which is to be expected. Local dealer was willing to sell it to him for $49.99, but then capitulated and did agree to sell it at the suggested price. He did not ask for special order or anything other than it being put on a stock order which is usually cheap or free freight in. My point is you wonder why something like parts need to be upcharged 50% and how many people pay without thinking.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Car manufacturers don't have enough control over dealers.

·
Registered
134 Posts
birdliver said:
I'd hope that an action like this would be based on a little more info than what is currently available here. And, as someone else pointed out, that list would be more useful if remarks explaining why the dealer made the list accompanied the listing.
:agree:

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
mceb said:
Car manufacturers don't have enough control over dealers.
By law... Auto manufacturers are not allow to control distribution.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
$$ISKING said:
Curious ??
Hmmmm.... those cars wouldn't happen to be in Rochester, NY, would they? :brentil:

1 - 14 of 14 Posts