Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ordered within 30 minutes of the opening. Did everything I was suppposed to. Got a car. Is one of the first 1000 NO. Does it matter NO. What does matter is that the seats may not be two tone and On Star may not be included. I ordered the car because I like it. If you ordered the car for the badge maybe you need reconsider your purchase! The process was a mess GM scrrewed it up an dthe dealers screwed it up further. Does it matter. NO you ordered a car and are getting a car. Maybe GM will decide all the cars ordered will get a badge. Oh wait they already do its called a VIN #.

·
Registered
33 Posts
There was the expectation that even though it was stated to be first-come first-served, that the process would be somewhat fair and equitable. It was not and I think that is why so many are miffed.

If, for instance, everyone went in with the idea that it was going to be a lottery for the first 1,000, there would be no room for complaining. It did end up being a lottery (luck of the draw) and those that made an extra effort to get to the dealers first were not rewarded for that effort.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Collectors Car - that's the big deal!

Those who will be lucky enough to get one of the first 1000 will have a instant collectors car. If you go back in history and look at the great Pontiac sport cars you will see the limited edition or first run cars are very valuable now. A Pontiac GTO Judge can bring over $100K at auction these days; and if it's one of the first produced, wow! The VIN plays a big part in the cars future value. Getting you hands on one of these first 1000 will put your car into this category; how value, time will tell.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Delnari said:
Those who will be lucky enough to get one of the first 1000 will have a instant collectors car. If you go back in history and look at the great Pontiac sport cars you will see the limited edition or first run cars are very valuable now. A Pontiac GTO Judge can bring over $100K at auction these days; and if it's one of the first produced, wow! The VIN plays a big part in the cars future value. Getting you hands on one of these first 1000 will put your car into this category; how value, time will tell.
Most high dollar collectable cars were more than the first ones. They had features and options that made them rare, and they were built in very limited numbers. Although the first 1000 is limited based on the dash badging, there really is going to be little to be no substantive difference between them, and 1000+. No higher HP limited motor, suspension package, etc. With the number of base Solstices that will be produced, I just don't see these as becoming ultra rare high dollar collectibles down the road.

If they do, I'll be proven wrong 30 years down the road. However, would you be willing to pay for the car, storage to keep it new, original, and low mile for 30 years in the hope it becomes collectable? With 20,000 first year Solstices, all essentially the same, about to be produced. I wouldn't.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Big Deal

The big deal is many of us had been planning, doing a lot of research, spending a lot of time finding a dealer that would take a deposit for many months before the EOP program came out. Then someone watches the apprentice, gets a 1st 1000 car during the summer and puts many of us at the back of the line. We probably won't get a car until December.

What if this was a GM plan to get as many people committed as possible before the MX-5 came out in the summer? What if they knew that that the MX-5 was going to beat them to market? They would need a plan to get as many people as possible to order a Solstice. They sent out a brochure with the GM card to make them think the GM earnings would be accepted. The people interested would use their cards for a downpayment. The card division would collect more interest and the dealers would get a interest free loan for many months. The 1st 1000 think they will be getting their car in weeks but later find out it may be the 4th qtr. They are told thousands of people are waiting in line so if they get out they may never get a car. What do you think of the plan?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I really don't think you'll have to wait till Dec to get a car. It's not like they pushed you out of line either. They just have the Disney Fastpass Lane.

·
Registered
18 Posts
The ones that will be valuable are number 1 and number 100. The rest are just cool. :cool:

·
5,600 Posts
First 1000. What's the big deal? Some people just have to be first with everything. Some people just want whatever is new. Some people saw the 1/1000 badge and it triggers some sort of "limited edition" portion of their brain.

Some people think it will be a collectable. I don't know. Your average car or motorcycle that gets bought and stored rarely keeps up with the Stock Market returns. Yeah, you will score with a true collectible like an Enzo, but ask any DeLorean owner how much they have skyrocketed in value.

For my part, I guess it is for the best I don't want a 1st year Solstice. I would hate to put a quarter million miles touring the country in one of the 1st ever made. I am sure the early Sol's will be an enthusiast's car and warrant preservation/restoration, just as I am sure the car is going to change drastically over the years becoming bigger and heavier, making the light and fun current version a real delight to own years from now. But I can't see it being a big $ collectable.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
First come first served vs lottery -- kind of a cross, really...

Hook'em said:
There was the expectation that even though it was stated to be first-come first-served, that the process would be somewhat fair and equitable. It was not and I think that is why so many are miffed.

If, for instance, everyone went in with the idea that it was going to be a lottery for the first 1,000, there would be no room for complaining. It did end up being a lottery (luck of the draw) and those that made an extra effort to get to the dealers first were not rewarded for that effort.
Friday was rough for everyone, especially those who really had their hearts set on a 1st 1000 car. That has been discussed at length in other threads.

On the issue of the processing being unfair, I'm not sure how it could be seen that way:
  1. If it were a lottery, the folks who showed up first would be upset.
  2. If it the systems hadn't had some difficulties handling the volume of hits to the web front end, then the registrations would have gone VERY quickly, and folks would probably be even more upset saying, "My time stamp was 14:04:06 and I got wait listed!"
The numbers tell the story: some 5000 folks tried for 1000 spots. It was always going to be disappointing for someone. Even the numbers coming out of GM well before the 15 painted a bleak picture: >2000 dealers signed up for the program to get 1000 of the 1st 1000 cars on a first come first served basis? Talk about a land rush! this was my first clue that only a lucky few would see the placard on the dash. I decided that it was no longer a self selected group, it was an army of passionate potential purchasers.

For myself, I had guessed based on the number of registered forum members that I had almost no chance of getting a 1st 1000 car. At the time, there were just over 1000 members. These were the devoted fans who were not shy about their enthusiasm. I guessed that there would be at least 3 times as many folks who were reading and hadn't registered yet. That meant more than 4000 folks plus anyone who saw the car on the Apprentice... A whole lot of folks! I went to the dealership, fully expecting to be wait listed and just ordering a car as early as possible.

Now let's look at the second alternative from the list above again. Had the system worked flawlessly with instant registration confirmations, then it would have been a "speed typing" contest. Those with the ability to navigate the web based interface with greater speed would have won out, and there would still be hard feelings.

Realistically, what occurred was more like the U2 pre-sale tickets to the fan club, and bore an eerie resemblance to the 1992 Zoo TV U2 concert tour. U2 decided it wanted to side step the scalpers, and decided that instead of allowing the normal direct ticket master terminals, they would allow the tickets to be sold exclusively over the phone via the TicketMaster call center. WOW! The phone system in Southern California was completely unusable for more than 6 hours, and the tickets didn't all get sold until about the 4 hour mark! My self, I gave up after 90 minutes, figuring that "surely all of the tickets have been sold by now".

So, was it first come first served? Yeah, partly. Was it a bit like a lottery? Yeah. But it was the folks who were first in line at the dealership terminals who were most likely to get a 1st 1000. It did pay to put in the effort to be first at the dealer, but could every person first in line at a dealership get a 1st 1000? With >2000 dealerships, NO WAY!

But was it unfair? Well... I find it really hard to describe it as unfair. With the exception of eliminating the speed typing contest, it went off pretty much as described in the rules. Truth be told, had there not been system problems, it might have been less egalitarian by giving a slight edge to the swift of keyboard....

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
I think I'm with Crimson Avenger on this one. Even though it was really mucked up, as usual, "the universe tends to unfold exactly as it should".

It turned out to be a lottery - rather than a "how fat is YOUR wallet" contest, or a "how enthusiastic are YOU about this car" contest, or "how fast can your dealer type" contest.

The participants in the lottery? Well, they were people willing to plunk down a deposit, go to a website and register their interest in the car with a valid buyer's name, address, etc. Who better to allow participation in a lottery?

There were supposedly over 800 people that had put down money at dealers to be "the first". Look at the number of folks on the forum alone that did so. If there's a judge of serious buying interest, that would be it - putting $1000 down on a car that doesn't have an official production date for the next year (as many put down their deposits last year). Had they given preference to those people, the first 1000 would have been gone BEFORE the ordering process began - and (THIS IS A KEY POINT - LISTEN UP!!!) the dealers would have gotten them and given them to the highest darn bidder!!!

So you didn't get a first 1000. You didn't win that lotto jackpot, either. Nor that $50,000 scratch off ticket. Ed McMahon never came to your door either.

You "registered" for a lottery drawing the next day, took some time off work for a decent chance at an MSRP purchase of one of the first 1000 Solstices produced.

By the server jamming up and letting random orders through, it spread the availability around the country in prolly the most fair method possible. They weren't gone in 15 seconds. They didn't go to the one who had the most money or the fastest computer network. Thankfully, they didn't go to dealerships to be sold to the person with the most money (no offense to the supporting dealers on the forum). They were RANDOMLY DISTRIBUTED to 1 out of 15 or 20 "registered interest" BUYERS.

What better way is there to do it?

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
I'm living testimony that just because you went in early, put money down early, and did everyhting possible to increase my stakes in the EOP game, I still lost. If dealers had 5 computers going at once too, the #5 person could have actually ended up being the only one at a dealership getting one. I really think that's what happened at my dealership. I was promised to be #2 on the systems to get a car, but they had 3-5 computers entering at once. So my chnaces of getting in were actually far smaller then I had assumed.

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Single threading at 1 PC per dealer is the only way I think they could have improved it a bit. That would have enabled dealers to stage buyers in order according to deposit age which would have stopped #5 getting the only spot for example.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
mceb said:
Single threading at 1 PC per dealer is the only way I think they could have improved it a bit. That would have enabled dealers to stage buyers in order according to deposit age which would have stopped #5 getting the only spot for example.
Yeah, true. However that would have resulted in places like the dealership I went to in getting zero EOP cars. However it's a catch 22. Because dealers had multiple computers attacking the solstice1000.com site they themselves in essence caused the resulting errors and downtime. So if they had done it one at a time they all would have had a much better chance of getting one because the resulting DDoS attack would not have taken place.

·
Registered
11 Posts
First 1000 just hype?

When I saw the new Solstice at at the Toronto Auto Show earlier this year I liked it, and decided to order one. I placed my order and paid my deposit on March 29th -two weeks before the EOP. My dealer confirmed that my order was accepted and in GM's system.
I won't get a plaque proclaiming "1 of 1000" but I sure hope I don't get bumped by 5,000 "wait list" hopefuls who think that a little stick-on plaque will add to the enjoyment of their car and render it an instant classic.
I don't want to upset everyone who wanted to get "1 of 1000" but I think GM just wanted to generate a buzz over their new roadster and came up with their "whacky" promotional plan for the The Apprentice.
Part of the allure this car has to me is it's uniqueness. I want one because I really like the car - and a lot of people had never heard of it yet. It has classic potential; only time will tell. In my opinion Donald Trump's hype and endorsement of the Solstice on a TV show has tarnished that image.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Or, as it turned out, eventually the dealer had four terminals trying to log on, everyone trying to buy me my car (even I was enlisted to repeatedly refresh one of them). Even then, I ended up with a Waitlist by just a few minutes.

But each was given a copy of my registration email and the training instructions Small Dealer had posted. Thank You, Small Dealer, whoever you are!!

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
I was lucky, I got one of the first 1000. Four other people at my dealership got on the waiting list. I don't want one of the first 1000 as a collectors item, I want it so I can drive it. I decided to try for one of the first 1000 so I could possible get one while there was still summer left, while the fun of driving country roads was still a possibility. If I didn't get one of the first 1000, I was going to place my order the same as everyone else. This wasn't a competition, it was a random selection. There are a lot of guys on this forum who have paid their dues for a lot longer time than I have. I feel sad for them because they didn't get one of the first Sols, but these aren't the last of the Sols to be manufactured, they're the first. I may regret getting one of the first cars, I may be plagued with little problems which get worked out when production goes into full swing. In the end all of us who want a Sol will be able to get one. They will come at different times and will be just as genuine as number 1 of 1000. If you love the car, you love the car. Don't let the disappointment of a server glitch overshadow the fact that the Sol will be a fantastic car. Will it be a collector car? Probably not but I hope everyone who tried to get one wanted the dar to drive, not to cover with a sheet and wait thirty years in the hope the car would turn into their retirement account. Sorry for the ranting and raving, but I see this forum as a fantastic place with loads of info and fantastic people. The attempt for the first 1000 is over, let's get on to doing what I see the forum doing best, passing on info, putting pressure on GM on important issues and supporting each other. When I get my car I'll let any forum member drive it if they think they can't live without getting behind the wheel. I'll post when mine comes as I hope other forum members will. Let's get on with things.

·
5,600 Posts
Miata Man said:
If you love the car, you love the car.
Thank you and Amen! :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Careful....

DreamerDave said:
Or, as it turned out, eventually the dealer had four terminals trying to log on, everyone trying to buy me my car (even I was enlisted to repeatedly refresh one of them). Even then, I ended up with a Waitlist by just a few minutes.

But each was given a copy of my registration email and the training instructions Small Dealer had posted. Thank You, Small Dealer, whoever you are!!
But, then, I'm the paranoid type, and I waited until after 2004-04-14T21:00:00-04 to even register via the Apprentice web site, just to be sure not to violate any of the rules and disqualify myself.... :leaving:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
YES! The randomness appears!

solsticeman said:
I think I'm with Crimson Avenger on this one. Even though it was really mucked up, as usual, "the universe tends to unfold exactly as it should".

--snip--

They were RANDOMLY DISTRIBUTED to 1 out of 15 or 20 "registered interest" BUYERS.

What better way is there to do it?
Solstice man, are you sure you're not a Quantum Physicist, a Cosmologist or something like that? Oh, wait, we're not allowed to ask questions like that... Have to keep up that anonymity, and preserve the secret identity... Sorry.

But in all seriousness, that's EXACTLY the point I was trying to make. I truly believe that this was about as close to fair as it could be given >2000 dealerships, exactly 1000 cars, and more than 5000 enthusiastic folks of all strips (new comers and the ones with cobwebs running from their noggins to their monitors who've been waiting for years for the car...)

"Thanks for your support" :jester:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts