Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all! I just joined the forum. I am needing some help placing the value of a First 1000 car. It’s a 5 speed with 28,500 miles and is in very good condition. I’ve seen several for sale ranging from 4,900 for high mileage to around 15,000 for well maintained low mileage cars. None were from the First 1000. Does a First 1000 car bring any extra? Thank you for your opinions.

·
Registered
6,951 Posts
We've talked about this several times over the years, and the consensus seems to be that the 1st 1000 are not worth anymore than any other 2006 in similar condition. I wish they were since we own one too, but I don't believe they are.

Having said that if you are also offering all the gifts that GM gave to the 1st 1000 customers than I believe they add value to the car since there is a market for 1st 1000 memorabilia, as long as it's priced reasonably. YMMV

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,341 Posts
Since I own a 1st 1000, I'd like to think that that designation would be worth a premium over any old 2006 Solstice, but it appears that is not the case. The only ones that think the 1st 1000 is worth a premium are the 1st 1000 owners, who know what they went through to get one. To the rest of the world it's just another Solstice, entry level sports car from a defunct manufacturer.

:dunno:

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
The first cars of a type are the least sorted out. By rights, the last year should be the best after all the glitches have been solved.

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
History tells us that when there are significant differences between the initial production cars and later standardized models, the first few cars can draw a premium. Examples would be the first 242 Jaguar XK120s were made in aluminum, by hand and are still worth more than the later pressed steel bodied cars.

The Solstice first 1,000 was a bit of an ad man's creation, though. Nothing significant except that they were the first ones off the line (and that doesn't seem to draw more money, so that didn't pan out for them in that sense) and 1,000 is a big number - more than the total production of many of the cars I've owned.

Great publicity even when paired with a cheesy TV show, so I imagine GM counted it as a win.

Regardless of whether you happen to own one of the 1,000 it is worth picking up the various accoutrements that went with them - the literature etc. will have collector value even if the cars don't.

One thing that always makes me laugh are the numerologists who value the last numbered car more highly than the car that actually came off the line last and was thus the last Solstice ever made. I fail to get how the number signifies over the actual last car........

·
Registered
6,599 Posts
I find it amazing, but my data shows that over 650 regular VIN cars rolled off the line before the first First 1000.
Interesting. So which is more 'collectible', #1 of the 1,000 or the real #1, the first off the line?

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Maybe someday off in the future they’ll have some extra value, who knows. The only special things was a unique VIN number series, a first 1000 badge on the dashboard and some collectible marketing goodies we got. Yeah “that” TV show it premiered on and we got something to talk about on this forum for a year before the car came out lol. Did I forget anything?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts