Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
He paid $557,500 :eek

The Ford GT is one awesome car, but that is a lot of bread to put down on one just to be the first to own it! I am glad to see he plans on driving it hard and not just sticking it in a garage somewhere and trailering it to shows. He better hope he doesn't put it into a wall somewhere. That ,ust be why Ford is sending some people out to teach him the intracacies of driving the GT!

Its about time Ford put together a real sports car, even if its way too expensive for most people to drive. Now they need a sports car a little lower in price to get your average enthusiats behind the wheel. :patriot

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I love that car! If I were a super rich guy I would buy that over any Ferrari, Porshe, Lambergini, etc, in a heartbeat. However I probably woudn't care that much about being first! Talk about dealer gouging! I guess if you're that rich it really doesn't matter and you get to right off the mark up on your taxes because it went to charity. Those rich guys really know how to work it!

Its about time Ford put together a real sports car, even if its way too expensive for most people to drive. Now they need a sports car a little lower in price to get your average enthusiats behind the wheel.
They do! The Miata is just that, and as long as they have such an interest in Mazda, I doubt they will try to compete directly with them. They also have th e Mustang, and I'm sure the latest generation will show up at tracks around America just like previous ones have, but I know what you mean, they need a car more in line with the Corvette. The Thunderbird should have been that car. I still think with enough R&D the Thunderbird could become that car but they seemed to have completely given up on it because they misjudged the market and took a little hit. They need to toughen up and put the thunder back in the bird!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
AeroDave said:
I love

They do! The Miata is just that, and as long as they have such an interest in Mazda, I doubt they will try to compete directly with them. They also have th e Mustang, and I'm sure the latest generation will show up at tracks around America just like previous ones have, but I know what you mean, they need a car more in line with the Corvette. The Thunderbird should have been that car. I still think with enough R&D the Thunderbird could become that car but they seemed to have completely given up on it because they misjudged the market and took a little hit. They need to toughen up and put the thunder back in the bird!
I don't consider the Mazda sports cars, Miata or RX-8, to really be Fords. Unlike some of the recent Ford platforms, the Miata is totally Mazda. There really isn't a Ford bone in the car. The RX-8 probably has a little more Ford influence, but it was still mainly designed and engineered by Mazda and not by Ford.

A Corvette competitor was more in line of what I was thinking anyway. Something above a Mustang, below a GT, $40-$80 range. The Mustangs are great muscle cars/pony cars, but they are not well rounded sports cars. The new '05 Stangs will probably be better, but its obvious they meant them to remain muscle cars with the emphasis on straight line speed by keeping the solid rear axle. Your right, the T-bird should have been a Vette competitor. Instead they made it some sort of overpriced, underpowered luxo-convertable which doesn't do anything well exept imitate the original T-birds styling (in a not so good way IMO). If they were going to make it look like that, they should have at least given it more guts under the hood.

·
Registered
281 Posts
i was all set to agree, but ive changed my mind. this is the FIRST GT of a limited production run. the price he paid is high, but i think he will make a profit someday. that is, if he doesnt beat the hell out of it racing. what he should do, is buy a second one to race.

personally, i think first cars like this should be auctioned off to collectors and enthusiasts with most of the purchase price going to charity.

you know what the best thing about the GT is? it might prompt GM to build the "blue-devil" vette!

Fformula88 said:
He paid $557,500 :eek

The Ford GT is one awesome car, but that is a lot of bread to put down on one just to be the first to own it! I am glad to see he plans on driving it hard and not just sticking it in a garage somewhere and trailering it to shows. He better hope he doesn't put it into a wall somewhere. That ,ust be why Ford is sending some people out to teach him the intracacies of driving the GT!

Its about time Ford put together a real sports car, even if its way too expensive for most people to drive. Now they need a sports car a little lower in price to get your average enthusiats behind the wheel. :patriot

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
Bizz said:
i was all set to agree, but ive changed my mind. this is the FIRST GT of a limited production run. the price he paid is high, but i think he will make a profit someday. that is, if he doesnt beat the hell out of it racing. what he should do, is buy a second one to race.

personally, i think first cars like this should be auctioned off to collectors and enthusiasts with most of the purchase price going to charity.

you know what the best thing about the GT is? it might prompt GM to build the "blue-devil" vette!
Your right that he could stand to make a lot of money if he doesn't beat on this GT. But he has stated that he will be beating on it and racing it. There will be wear and tear issues. Since he will be driving it hard, its certainly not a good investment. Maybe he was just willing to spend that much since the money will be going to charity, and he would have donated it to a charity one way or the other anyway.

I am not sure the Ford GT will be a deciding factor for GM producing the Blue Devil. Rumor has it that the standard Vette Z06 may have enough power and handling ability to take on the Ford GT on its own. However, we'll have to wait and see on that one. If it doesn't, then GM should definately make the Blue Devil!

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Your right that he could stand to make a lot of money if he doesn't beat on this GT. But he has stated that he will be beating on it and racing it. There will be wear and tear issues. Since he will be driving it hard, its certainly not a good investment. Maybe he was just willing to spend that much since the money will be going to charity, and he would have donated it to a charity one way or the other anyway.
I'm sure he didn't buy the car as an investment. It's a toy. A thing to have fun with and show his friends. The amount he paid for it is probably his weekly or monthly income. When you think of the staggering amounts of money some people make in this country, you start to see how a car like this is a drop in the bucket. If he stacks it around a light pole, oh well, no biggee, just get another one, or more likely something else. I'm sure he couldn't give a rats ass what the car will be worth when he sells it.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
The process began nearly a year ago when Mr. Shirley earned the right to purchase the first production Ford GT at Christie's Auction in Pebble Beach. Mr. Shirley told MSN Autos, "I went to the Christie's Auction intending to buy the car, but I didn't expect the bidding to be quite as spirited as it was." The proceeds of the auction, which netted $557,500, benefited the designated charities of the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.
Am I right in reading that the $557,000 just bought him the right to purchase the first car and not the actual price of the car? Or did Ford donate the car? Or was that the total proceeds from several items auctioned? Or have I been reading too many contracts today? Sorry, been a long day.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts