Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 84 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Admittedly, I do not work at the LARGEST volume Pontiac dealer in NoVA, but as big as most and probably #2-3. If our first 4 months allotment are any indication of how many will be available in this VERY LARGE and VERY WEALTHY market area, MSRP, Supplier pricing, Employee pricing and pretty much anything other than GM Card dollars will be a pipe dream. Its going to be a seller's market in these parts boys and girls, start saving your nickels.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I definitely don't like the sound of that. Wonder what my dealer is looking at. They're a pretty little fish in a big pond here. I'll have to ask Friday.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Great job so you can kill sales just like you guys did on the gto. Congrats for being a moron.

I swear gm needs to go with a strong arm tactic for these stupid dealers trying to ruin a car that could help gm regain market share

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
The numbers are smaller than you might imagine...

From the beginning, GM has been saying that this would be a Limited Production vehicle; that means small production numbers and small dealer allocation. I seem to remember that they were talking about 20,000 units per year. [Others on the forum will no doubt cross check me on that number.]

When we look at allocation numbers, some of the 20,000/year will go to the US, some will go to Canada, and some may go to other countries as well.

Now, since I don't have the number of dealerships in Canada (or any other countries for that matter), we'll use a highly simplified model to start looking at the order of magnitude: let's make a calculation as if all 20,000 were going to the US. [To our Canadian colleagues and other folks around the world, please don't take offense, I'm not trying to ignore you or say you don't exist--this is a mental exercise to see the order of magnitude as an upper bound... Please bear with me.]

20,000 units per year / 2800 US dealers ~= an average of 7.1 units per dealer per year​
Looking at a quarterly allocation, we have:

7.1 units per dealer per year / 4 ~= an average 1.7 units per quarter per dealer.​
Canadians and others, please bear with me, I'm not ignoring you!
Clearly, the numbers will be substantially less than these upper bound maximums because GM will be providing joy to our Northern neighbors and our colleagues around the world. Further, some dealers will have greater allocation, some will have less.

Now, for argument sake, let's guess at what the number of dealers in Canada might be and refine the calculation a little:

2,800 US dealers + 1,200 (pure guess) Canadian dealers ~= 4,000 dealers.

20,000 U/yr [units per year] / 4000 dealers ~= 5 U/yr per dealer​
That brings us down to about 1 per dealer per quarter on average, with some dealers having more, and some having less. What will become obvious from this mental exercise is that indeed, this will absolutely be a sellers market--THESE CARS ARE GOING TO BE SCARCE!!

So don't expect to see any Solstices on dealer lots--they will almost all be delivered from orders placed by excited fans.

·
Registered
496 Posts
Canadian Solstice

As stated in another thread Canadian allocation is 2000 units and just over 1000 have already been ordered by Canadian dealerships.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Breeze said:
Its going to be a seller's market in these parts boys and girls, start saving your nickels.
Same song, different verse.

This always happens when a “hot” new model sports car is first introduced.

I went through this when I bought my 350Z in ’03. When I first went into dealerships in the fall of ’02 most had none or only 1 per dealer (here in KC). At first they were $5K “market adjustments”. Within a few months, they were down to full MSRP.

I waited and got mine in July 2003, at $1500 under MSRP.

My advice to everyone is to just be patient, by this fall and winter the dealers will “deal”.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Get your MSRP agreement in writing!

For those that have not already put down a deposit with a handshake agreement (or none at all) I strongly encourage you to get any verbal agreements you make with regard to MSRP in writing.

The time when you place the deposit is the perfect time to set the expectations. After you place the deposit, it will be substantially more difficult, because you won't have any immediate monetary leverage with the dealer.

When I placed my deposit, even though the Fleet Manager (who I was working with) and several of the other employees including the Finance Manager said that they didn't sell above MSRP [they said they were selling the G6 at sticker], I took with me the following agreement:
2006 Pontiac Solstice Deposit Acceptance

In consideration for $500 in deposit to be applied to the purchase price, -dealer-name- agrees to offer (subject to availability) -your-name- a 2006 Pontiac Solstice at MSRP without a dealer or market based price markup. This MSRP price point will apply to a unit purchased through either the Early Order (First 1000) program or a regular order from their dealer's regular allocation.

Signed:

The standard disclaimer applies: "I am NOT a lawyer." It's just a suggestion for how you can get something preventing markup gouging in writing.

Reading it now, I realize a subtle point about the agreement clause: if the dealer refuses to offer you the car at MSRP, then they must refund your deposit because to offer a car for sale with some type of markup would breach the agreement.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Might have to wait until Q2 2006 for things to cool down...

MarkZ said:
This always happens when a “hot” new model sports car is first introduced.

My advice to everyone is to just be patient, by this fall and winter the dealers will “deal”.
Actually, since the first units being ordered outside of the EOP plan will be delivered to the dealers some time in the October time frame (smack in the middle of the fall) I think you'll have to wait until several order cycles have gone by.

If all of the units they have coming are already sold, then they have substantial reason to believe that the point on the supply/demand curve for this model is well below the price point at which they can make the most money. Dealers are generally good capitalists, and will almost perforce put substantial "market demand" markups on the vehicles.

In this case, since the supply is limited by GMs production, there may be no way to prevent markup except to do as Billabongi suggests:
Billabongi said:
I swear gm needs to go with a strong arm tactic for these stupid dealers trying to ruin a car that could help gm regain market share

·
Registered
533 Posts
Breeze said:
Admittedly, I do not work at the LARGEST volume Pontiac dealer in NoVA, but as big as most and probably #2-3. If our first 4 months allotment are any indication of how many will be available in this VERY LARGE and VERY WEALTHY market area, MSRP, Supplier pricing, Employee pricing and pretty much anything other than GM Card dollars will be a pipe dream. Its going to be a seller's market in these parts boys and girls, start saving your nickels.
I live in Northern Virginia. If I still planned to buy a Solstice, I would be put off by the tone of this post. If I was still undecided between the MX-5 and the Solstice, this issue might have been a deciding factor.

·
5,641 Posts
Billabongi said:
Congrats for being a xxxxx.
I think an apology is needed.

·
5,600 Posts
Ah, the Doom & Gloom of sports car ownership. :glol:

In all my life, I have never met anyone who couldn't get a basic sports car because the Manufacturer could not meet the demand. Never. It has never happened. Despite the initial high demand that can't be met for many months, supply ALWAYS meets demand. After that point, getting a sports car is easy and you should not have to pay over MSRP.

This forum is starting to get a little schizophrenic with anticipation. What is it going to be like here when the frenzy starts in earnest? :willy:

·
Registered
767 Posts
I'm glad I have a signed contract at MSRP. Last January, the dealer had no problem signing it. I explained to him that he had not done anything to sell the car, and I had done all the research and investigation. I knew much more about the Solstice than he did then, and bet I still do. Just waiting for April 15 to make sure I get one of the first 1000. After that, I can just sit back and watch all the madness.
:cool:

·
5,600 Posts
tcl said:
I live in Northern Virginia. If I still planned to buy a Solstice, I would be put off by the tone of this post. If I was still undecided between the MX-5 and the Solstice, this issue might have been a deciding factor.
Your statement that you would let an anonymous poster's comment influence your choice of car is pretty damn funny. :glol:

I call your bluff, friend.

I have no problem with the tone of the intitial post, reading it as a warning not to be disappointed not to get one of the 1st thousand Soslti, because the few that are available will be bought with huge premiums over MSRP by pushy, arrogant, rich, greedy SOBs from the DC beltway. That's how I read it anyway - don't be disappointed if you don't get one, or be prepared to spend a fortune outbidding them.

FWIW, re-read your own post and see what your tone conveys because it is pretty bitter in tone for someone who is buying a car model that saw record gouging in it's first year of introduction. :lol:

·
Registered
228 Posts
Small Dealer said:
I think an apology is needed.
Not to be rude but apology for what? If the a lot of dealers end up doing what some are already doing expect to see what happened to the gto happen all over again. GM finally finds a car that has a strong intial following and some dealers are just waiting to ruin it.

Im entitled to my opinion that those dealers are morons.

To make it clear im not calling all dealers morons just the ones who plan to ruin a car over money. When in reality if they stuck to a resonable price theyd make a lot more profit.

Let me add I am not here to piss people off, Ive been excited about this car aslong as probaly anyone else on this board. Im just unhappy with how some gm dealers handle car sales, as you can tell from some of my posts. Ive had better luck with import dealers, which could be a big reason why gm is losing market share everyday

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
Billabongi said:
Not to be rude but .
But that is how your post came across. You are entitled to your opinion. And some dealers can spoil it for the rest by abusing MSRP with add-ons ad infinitum. Call them stupid, idiotic, etc if you want. Just not what you called them. That term is reserved for the consumers that blindly line up at the trough and gladly fork over that extra 1k-5k that is not necessary.

Unfortunately I will probably have to wait till next year for my Solstice, but even if I was able to secure a,n EOP 1000 or whenever I get it or how long I have to wait. the verbal committment from my local long standing small town dealer means I will never have to pay more than MSRP fot my ride, and quite frankly with a multi-car relationship I won't be paying even that much.

·
Registered
533 Posts
jimbo said:
.... I call your bluff, friend.

... FWIW, re-read your own post and see what your tone conveys because it is pretty bitter in tone for someone who is buying a car model that saw record gouging in it's first year of introduction. :lol:
Not bitter, just annoyed at the threat of mark ups in my area on a car that the manufacturer is marketing as affordable. If the mark ups occur, they might force true enthusiasts to stand in line behind a bunch of impulse buyers.

Not bluffing either. If I was undecided between product A and product B and one had a large mark up and the other didn't, the mark up would be a significant factor in my decision.

·
Registered
180 Posts
The dealer I went in Canadian was going to order it for MSRP and did not talk about selling above MRSP. Change dealer ifone wantto sell for more
You have the power, do not be seduced

·
Registered
163 Posts
GM is in BIG trouble - they will be selling as many Solstices per demand. This dealer is BSing us. GM is in no situation to limit their cars. They will be giving them away after the first 6 month of production. Be patient!
:willy:

·
Registered
35 Posts
tcl said:
Not bitter, just annoyed at the threat of mark ups in my area on a car that the manufacturer is marketing as affordable. If the mark ups occur, they might force true enthusiasts to stand in line behind a bunch of impulse buyers.

Not bluffing either. If I was undecided between product A and product B and one had a large mark up and the other didn't, the mark up would be a significant factor in my decision.
:agree:

One thing you can always depend on -- dealer/salesman arrogance.

Personally, I am not committed to buying a Solstice. I’ve liked what I’ve read and seen so far in car magazines. I’ve read some good information on this forum & like what most of the people here have shared. But I’m not a GM fanatic or employee. Pontiac will have to sell me on this car.

I am also considering very seriously the new Miata. My choice, later this year, will be between the Solstice & Miata. If GM dealers are inflexible, arrogant, and unwilling to deal vs. the opposite from the Mazda guys, well…..

GM seems to have a good car here, and Lord knows they’ve been getting beat up by the imports for the last couple decades. I just hope they don’t screw up a good thing. Again.

1 - 20 of 84 Posts