Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking of getting a 2008 Pontiac solstice as my first car. I wanted to know if it's a good choice?

·
Registered
5,690 Posts
As Rob said, great fun, but they can be "quirky". I don't ever want to scare off a potential member of "the club", but you need to consider possible maintenance issues.

The 2008 is a 12 year old car and like any 12 year old car, it's going to have some maintenance needs. Would I say these are worse than any other 12 year old car? Maybe not, maybe yes. The GXP is a turbocharged engine which COULD bring some additional maintenance needs. The "N/A" (non-GXP) is a non-turbo and COULD bring less maintenance needs. Both engines are reliable and are used in other GM cars, so replacement parts are available.

The N/A has had issues with the catalytic converter. Both versions have had issues with the water pump. Both versions have had issues with the passenger side air bag sensor. I would consider these issues as higher than average requirements than a typical car. Have they already been addressed on the car you're looking at? If not, be warned that a water pump can run you $1,200.00 at a dealership.

Let us know what model you're looking at (if you have already looked at it, that is.) I'm sure the members here will be more than happy to help you.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
If you can do a lot of your own repairs, The sol can be a fun car to own. First thing to check is trace the VIN number and see if the recalls have been done. Especially the PPS. Water pumps have been a problem, especially on the turbo model. The pumps themselves are cheap enough but most of the replacement cost is labor. If you are like me, you are going to love the car in spite of its idiosyncrasies. Working on them is half the fun.

·
Premium Member
598 Posts
As a first car... I would say no. These cars have limited visibility and are sometimes hard to be seen by other drivers. They can be a little squirrely in wet conditions and at speed. And besides the maintenance issues of a 12 year old car - anything more than a minor parking lot accident, will usually cause the car to be totaled by insurance companies due to lack of available body parts.

Reactions: showtime

·
Registered
2006 Pontiac Solstice
23 Posts
Even without knowing your specific situation, I would not recommend a Solstice as a first car to anyone, primarily because I wouldn't recommend a Solstice as someone's only vehicle. (And I love my Solstice!) Some here may disagree, but I think it's a perfect second car. As far as a first car, you won't have much to compare the Solstice to, so as long as you are a good driver, you'll get used to whatever you have as a first car. I'm going to assume that you're asking about a convertible, just since they are more common. Just some things to consider: If it gets cold where you are, snows a lot, or even rains a lot, a convertible probably isn't a great choice. Same goes for security depending on where you will be parking it. Another reason that a Solstice isn't a great only vehicle is that it's meant to carry up to two people and not much else. That can get annoying if that's all you have to drive.

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
I'm thinking of getting a 2008 Pontiac solstice as my first car. I wanted to know if it's a good choice?
That depends entirely on your situation, as most of the other replies have stated.

My first car was a 1963 MGB that was just about 14 years old at the time, so it was very comparable to a Solstice in many ways. I had to repair it more than once, and always carried tools and spare parts with me, and i don't know of any Soltices that are quite that bad yet. On the negative side, body parts especially are hard to find, so you are more likely to lose the car if you are in a wreck.

Is two seats and no cargo space a problem for you? It wasn't for me, and my first four "only" cars were MGBs and TR-6s, with a motorcycle thrown in the mix. The motorcycle was definitely the biggest problem as an only vehicle! Renting a car or truck is easy and relatively cheap these days if you really need more space so capacity alone, unless you need it a lot, shouldn't be a show-stopper.

Weather conditions can be an issue. Cold isn't a problem, since the heaters are very capable, and even the single-layer top is wind proof. The multi-layer top makes the cockpit as worm or warmer than any other car, and the minimal interior volume make it warm up really fast. Ground clearance is low, and it is rear wheel drive, so even though some people have done it, driving in snowy conditions will be a challenge.

If you provide a lot more detail about yourself and your situation you can get some more applicable answers, but they are probably going to run the range of what you have already seen here.

·
Registered
4,704 Posts
Glass half empty here guy..... I owned a Fiero as my first car...so no room and only 2 people cars were nothing new to me. It does have limited space. Don't plan on buying $200 worth the groceries and getting them all home. Don't plan on golfing with this car, unless you're meeting someone at the course.

Maintenance....yes. I used to refer to these cars as little wanna be Ferraris. In that everybody loved them, but repairs and maintenance were expensive. Nothing is cheap to do on them. And nothing is easy to do. I'm putting a complete stereo system in mine right now. I'm on hour 15 and only half way done because of all of the modifications I've had to do to get things to work/fit. I checked yesterday with the local stereo shop, he quoted me $2500 just for labor for what I'm doing. So that might give some overview of what these cars are like to own.

Will you love it???? ABSOLUTELY. You have to weigh where you are in life. Can you afford a $2000 repair if you buy one? Can you afford to put a battery in it for $300? Can you afford new tires or a timing chain if it goes? All things to consider.

Reactions: GAT

·
Registered
102 Posts
OMG, what a bunch of killjoys here!
The OP question is not "Is the Solstice the most practical car to buy?"
Are we all too old now to remember our first car experience?

NMT114, if you love your car you will take care of it and it will take care of you. Do you love the Solstice? I suspect you do since you found us here. In a Solstice you feel the road, you are tied to the steering, top down you will feel the speed. The closer you are tied to the driving experience the safer you will be driving. Yeah you may drive fast once you gain confidence, but you will be paying more attention and the car will teach you to drive better.

The typical alternative is not even feeling yourself leaving the roadway in your Camry as you focus on your texting. Or maybe you will find yourself upside down going down the road on your roof in a big SUV.

Someone mentioned a 1963 MGB first car. Solstice is safer and more reliable. I had a '65 so I am qualified to say this. Airbags, shoulder belts, safety bumpers, guard rails in doors, ABS, and safer tires on Solstice.

For a first car keep it simple, buy the cheaper NA, no need for the complexity and higher insurance of the turbo GXP. The NA will be just as much fun and just as pretty.

My only counterargument is the light weight and wide tires make the Solstice truly dangerous in the rain. I am qualified to say this because I hydroplaned my Lotus into a guard rail when I was 22 years old.

Now pick your color! And post pictures when you get it!

·
Premium Member
1,416 Posts
Let us know if you buy one Nmt114 & good luck with your purchase. I wanted to buy an MGB many many moons ago but my Dad talked me out of it as he sold them & worked on them. I did regret that decision & instead bought a new Camaro. I have now owned three solstices a long the way & love the cars.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Let us know if you buy one Nmt114 & good luck with your purchase. I wanted to buy an MGB many many moons ago but my Dad talked me out of it as he sold them & worked on them. I did regret that decision & instead bought a new Camaro. I have now owned three solstices a long the way & love the cars.
My first was an MGA. At least now I have electric windows. I HATED side curtains.

·
Registered
291 Posts
OMG, what a bunch of killjoys here!
The OP question is not "Is the Solstice the most practical car to buy?"

Someone mentioned a 1963 MGB first car. Solstice is safer and more reliable. I had a '65 so I am qualified to say this. Airbags, shoulder belts, safety bumpers, guard rails in doors, ABS, and safer tires on Solstice.

second that. my father had a mgb and in now way is the solstice comparable in reliability and daily use. the solstice is absolutely a great daily and does not give more trouble mechanically than my other cars i have owned.

the issues should be storage space and using in heavy traffic as it sits so low, if those are not an issue; buy

·
Registered
1,740 Posts

In my opinion, no.

A good first car would have MUCH more manufacturer support than a Solstice or a Sky, in my never humble opinion.
A good first car would also be a good choice for transportation in any weather.
A good first car would also suffer the consequences of being a first car better than a Solstice or Sky. A parking lot mishap wiping out the hood will give you MAJOR headaches.

I do not recommend any Kappa as a first automobile.

·
Registered
1,740 Posts
My only counterargument is the light weight and wide tires make the Solstice truly dangerous in the rain. I am qualified to say this because I hydroplaned my Lotus into a guard rail when I was 22 years old.
Truly Dangerous in the rain? Respectfully, that's an opinion that defines "opinion". Lots of people crashed in the rain, in many cars. I've seen 5,000 lb SUVs do it.

But never mind that. You're recommending a "truly dangerous" car as a first car. You don't see a schism with common sense in that train of thought?

Reactions: JohnWR

·
Super Moderator
8,323 Posts
Truly Dangerous in the rain? Respectfully, that's an opinion that defines "opinion". Lots of people crashed in the rain, in many cars. I've seen 5,000 lb SUVs do it.
I agree. The NAs were dangerous in the rain because the OEM RS-As were bad in the rain. Really bad. With good tires, I haven't seen any issues that a small amount of common sense wouldn't prevent.

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
My first car was a 1963 MGB that was just about 14 years old at the time, so it was very comparable to a Solstice in many ways.
My first sports car was a 1958 MGA that was 12 years old at the time. I loved that car and it taught me to learn basic mechanics. I have never regretted it!

·
Registered
7,227 Posts
1 - 20 of 30 Posts