Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I’ve been reading what's been said for the last few days and there have been a lot of great posts. Obviously we all want one because it’s a great looking car that will probably be very fun to drive and get a lot of attention.

The salesmen at my dealer have been low-key about any info for the better part of the past year I’ve been checking on this (I’ve been asking about availability). The guy who just sold me a 05 GXP Bonneville in December called me the minute he found out about the EOP, on my instructions. He gave me "break" on the deposit at only $500 because I "showed strong interest" and was "a good costumer" (i.e. just spent $$$$ on something they needed to move off the lot cause 05 is supposed to be their last year for Bonnies). He also told me that there was $1000 depositor ahead of me as first-in-line when I told him I wanted one with everything but OnStar (have it on all my cars now and never, ever used it). When I called him today he didn’t know any of the info from these postings and told me the Dealerships main ordering exec. probably knew all the details I learned on this site. I gathered at that point I probably should only be dealing with her from now on.

Now assuming getting the number from the website is the easy part, and that if one is serious about this they had better be physically at the terminal at 2pm with the dealer (although the salesman said that I could be assured they would take care of me even if I wasn’t there…yeah right), it all really boils down to how many people are going put an order in on 4/15 at their dealer out of the 2000 registered in the EOP, doesn’t it?

If GM polled the participating dealers for orders and then figured on how many would actually go through with it (which should be guessable, roughly, based on previous preorder programs), then that info would be very helpful in gauging one’s chances. It’s reasonable that some of the 2000 may not have any seriously interested buyers, but that should be countered by the large metro dealers were there may be many deposits taken and someone wouldn’t blink at paying just about anything to guarantee an order. I think I’ll call all the local dealers and ask about their deposit lists. I’m not sure how the average dealer would handle a person right there at 2pm to order who hadn’t put money down before, compared to someone like me who they knew seriously wanted one, had the money, and might not be able to be there.

Anybody know how many total dealerships there are? The significance of 2000 EOP participants depends on the percentage of total dealerships who signed up. Also, if any of the dealers posting here would “suggest” how many were on their lists with deposits that might give some flavor of the competition. For those who have tried to get concert tickets in lotteries and similar situations of mass competition, we recall that many people will be disappointed and will have to wait. Personally, I would very much not like to wait and haggle with the dealer later on. But I’ve been told many times this winter by wholesalers that the best time to buy a convertible is in January or February. I suppose I would wait another winter if I had to, but where’s the fun it that? :lol:

:party:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
Welcome Solstick. You are correct, being physically there at 2pm is the most important aspect. Someone said there are 2800 dealers in total, 2000 signed up but I don't think all 2000 have a hot customer waiting, ready to go. IMO many signed up to get the banners, DVD, information for their showroom and in case someone walks in they are ready to go. If no one comes they still make use of the promo materials in the showroom to hype the car later.

Personally I've been saying there should be enough of the first 1000 to go around for all the die-hards. How many people will take the extra effort to be there at 2pm? Most people will procrastinate, are too busy, we'll do it tomorrow, change their mind, that kind of thing. I could be wrong, maybe I'll be surprised but I'm expecting to be the only nut at my dealership at 2pm :crazy:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
2 PM's too late for me. I plan to make a day of it. Found out dealership opens at 9:00 (service at 7:30). Will do the whole "concert camp out" routine. Will bring everything needed to park my butt in the corner studying for a few hours. Been waiting for over a year, a few hours doing take home work at a dealer instead of my house isn't that big a thing. Let people ask, "Why's that guy sleeping in his car out front?" It'll give the sales force something to talk about. :)

·
Registered
228 Posts
Im curious how dealers plan to handle it? I asked my dealer how they plan to handle it hoping shell reply soon. Im curious if you get there at 9 a.m. with your deposit and number will you be "first" in line. Or do you have to be there by some persons table at 2 lol

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
I had plans to camp out at my dealer as well. Now that it looks like the car won't be here until late July/early August, I'm going to have to change my plans. I'm moving cross-country in the middle of July, so I might have to rely on a dealer I've never met in person to put the order in for me as close to 2PM eastern as he can.

Bah! Maybe I'll fly out there in April just so I can be there in person. How's that for obsessed? :crazy:

·
Registered
936 Posts
One thing you guy are missing is that the dealer has no right to make deals on the EOP, it is first come first served. I don't care how much money you have down or how many promises you have from a dealer if he wont take the first person there before you there is going to be trouble.

·
Registered
316 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think ateam is right on. The "no deals" clause seems pretty clear. I think the only special treatment someone can expect is to have the dealer let thme know how many diehards they have interested and how soon they'll let them in and how comfortably they'll let them hang out waiting.

I'll bet there's alot more interest after the TV show and those who want the best chance will literally have to be first at the dealer.

:willy:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I plan to confirm with my dealer that I am the only die-hard with money down. But either way, I plan to arrive at the dealer by noon, and sit back with my paperback until 2pm when my order gets placed. I am fortunate that my job is flexible enough that I can take a 1/2 day off just to order a car. MY hope is that most people can't make such arrangements, and won't hit the dealer's until later that afternoon.

·
Premium Member
898 Posts
I am a little confused. Maybe I have missed something. Is it the first 1,000 or 2,000 that get the special treatment for buying the first cars? The certificte and die-cast model car etc???

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
I would be my guess that any dealer is going to honor those who have deposits first, no many who many jockeys show up at 2PM just because they saw the commercial. Mine has guaranteed by order is going in first. Just to be sure I will probably take him to lunch and then sit infront of his computer until 2PM EST. Wouldn't it be hilarious if somebody does "camp out" all day only to find out their going to be second, third, or more in line? :banghead:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
The EOP program is for the first 1,000 Solstices produced. There are approximately 2,000 dealerships signed up to participate in the EOP.

So, theoretically, if every one of the 2,000 dealers has a person waiting at there dealership at exactly 2:00 pm EST, then only half of these orders will make it on the EOP list. In such a case, it could come down to how fast your dealer rep can navigate the webpage and get your order in. SCARY THOUGHT.

My prediction is that not every dealer will have someone showing up at exactly 2pm, but we won't know for sure until it happens. I don't know how I'm going to sleep for the next three weeks. The anticipation is killing me!!!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Zavean said:
I am a little confused. Maybe I have missed something. Is it the first 1,000 or 2,000 that get the special treatment for buying the first cars? The certificte and die-cast model car etc???

There are 1000 cars, 2000 enrolled dealers. Lets see thats, 1/2 car per dealer. ;)

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
dengel said:
My prediction is that not every dealer will have someone showing up at exactly 2pm, but we won't know for sure until it happens. I don't know how I'm going to sleep for the next three weeks. The anticipation is killing me!!!
Agree, factor in dealers that just have people semi-serious, or dealers who just don't have a Solstice customers, then add in procrastinators etc. and we should hopefully be be ok at 2pm. Short answer I think odds are more like 1-1.

·
Registered
504 Posts
BOY THOSE DONALD WANNA BE'S SURE GOT THE SOLSTICE CROWD JUMPEN AROUND LIKE FROGS ON HOT COALS. BOTH MENTAL AND PHYSICAL. :willy:

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
PAS22 said:
I would be my guess that any dealer is going to honor those who have deposits first, no many who many jockeys show up at 2PM just because they saw the commercial. Mine has guaranteed by order is going in first.
My guess is that dealers will honor those with deposits first, so long as they arrive at the dealership before 2pm. But if the dealer is smart, he won't refuse to place an order for someone standing in his showroom just because other people who haven't shown up yet already have deposits down. To do so would be breaking the rules laid down by GM.

IF you have a deposit down and a dealer's "promise" that you are first but don't feel the need to rush to the dealer by 2pm, you will probably end up losing out.

Personally, if I am at the dealer at 2pm and he refuses to place my order because someone else (not physically present and standing next to me) put a deposit down a few months before I did, I am going to make sure GM grills them for not following the rules of the program.

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
dengel said:
My guess is that dealers will honor those with deposits first, so long as they arrive at the dealership before 2pm. But if the dealer is smart, he won't refuse to place an order for someone standing in his showroom just because other people who haven't shown up yet already have deposits down. To do so would be breaking the rules laid down by GM.

IF you have a deposit down and a dealer's "promise" that you are first but don't feel the need to rush to the dealer by 2pm, you will probably end up losing out.

Personally, if I am at the dealer at 2pm and he refuses to place my order because someone else (not physically present and standing next to me) put a deposit down a few months before I did, I am going to make sure GM grills them for not following the rules of the program.
Since my experience, documented here is similar to PAS22, I agree that a physical presence, regardless of what the dealers/salesman tells you, is indeed key. And why not be there? Since you find out right away if you get one of the 1,000, I say let's party!!

:party:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
I believe the only specific rule is that you have to be there in person on April 15 for your order to be placed (starting at 2pm Eastern). If you made an arrangement with your dealer that you will be first in the system, then I'm sure they will live up to that if you are there @2pm. I can't image many, if any, people coming in on Friday @2pm because of a 1-hour Apprentice show focused on the Solstice.... Could be wrong, though. The customers showing up at the dealership on Friday already know about it right now. So, it's all of us in this forum...take a look around... this is it...you may run into someone from this forum on Friday and not even know it. After you place your order and know you are the first 1000, you come back to this forum and announce it to the world only to read a story that someone cut in front of them and got the order at dealership xyzzy....Then you realize that person is you! Crazy....

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
With all the anticipation and people killing time in showrooms, looks like the longest day of the year in 2005 will be April 15! A Spring Solstice! :)

·
Registered
1,293 Posts
:agree: You got THAT right, Dave!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
dengel said:

:agree: Ya, you had better be their early anyway.

1 - 20 of 87 Posts