Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Will you buy an extended warranty for the Solstice / Sky?

First owners, Are U going to buy extended warranty?

2K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  JBsZ06 
#1 · (Edited)
First owners, Are U going to buy a extended warranty?

Will this new model that was quickly designed need some "extra" operational insurance from GM?

#3 ·
I voted "I will leave this option open, I can buy it later if needed." because if I get the Solstice when it comes out it'll be a hold-over till the higher output Sky arrives. Which I'm guessing will be less then 3 years which is the standard warranty time frame for domestic cars.

#6 ·
bickley said:
How does one negotiate for the warantee? Sorry not a good haggler/shopper....I could use a few pointers.
bickley, go for the extended warranty only if you plan on keeping the car past the initial warranty period. I typically do so they've been worth it to me. Also before you go in to buy, check with your local credit union to see what they offer, or AAA. those sorts of places and see what their costs are. Then when the price is quoted at the dealer, you'll be better prepared. Also be aware, you don't want a warranty from the dealer that specifies that repairs can only be done at their own dealership. Be certain to read the fine print!

#9 ·
We may all be thinking the standard GM 3 year 36000 miles but some of their cars now come with 5 year 60000 miles, let's see what they offer for the Solstice/SKY.

#10 ·
Maybe I've been lucky, but I always look back at how much I've spent after the base warranty period, then compare it to how much it would've cost for an extended warranty that ends at xxx miles (I always bust the mileage before the time expires). So far, I've never bought an extended warranty, and have always come out on top. Of course, I never pay for labor since I turn my own wrenches. It seems every time I do take a car in for warranty work, some knucklehead scratches the paint, or boogers something else up in the process of "fixing" it.

Also, I generally modify every vehicle I own pretty quickly. Even though I have the Magnuson/Moss warranty act on my side, I don't want to fight dealers over whether or not my mods caused part X to fail prematurely.

#11 ·
I would wait until the 35th month or just under 35K miles...which ever came first...

Then I would contact Ken Fitchner at fitchner Chevy and buy the GMPP warranty...

No sales tax....and the guy has the best pricing on GMPP warranty....

This way you have almost all of the original warranty used up before you purchase the GMPP warranty...

I bought this for both my Corvettes this way and its always worked out best for me...

#14 ·
GM offers 3 levels of warranty. I was able to get the top one (gold) for under a grand after saying no, then hemming and hawing a bit after they immediately dropped the price.

I only got it because the Aztek was saving me so much money compared to the class alternatives, and we always drive our cars to at least 120,000.

It's at 34K now and hasn't been in the shop.

#15 ·
I never buy the extended warranty. The only way I can possibly think of one actually being worth the added cost is if you have a very expensive major component fail, such as the engine itself or the transmission. Automakers love to sell people those things for a reason, and it is not because the car buyers are making out and getting a great deal!

I have other reasons too. First, I don't trust dealership service departments, based partially on my own experiences, and in part from stories told to me by friends who work at dealers. I also generally do all my own repairs so the warranty wouldn't be used too often. Finally, I hardly ever keep a car long enough to really take advantage anyway.

Regardless, I just don't like them. Big money is made on them, so I cannot really see how you end up ahead of the game. On one specific car its possible, but over the course of a lifetime the odds are against you.

#16 ·
Replacement parts forgetting even about labor can be priced quite high.

For about a dollar a day, I got a GMPP warranty for a total of 6 years/50K miles with a zero deductible...
Buy it in the 35th month or 35K miles would be my suggestion.......

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.