Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, I will be doing my very first high speed touring event at Hallett Raceway on Sunday. I'm very excited!

I do have a brakes question. My car has roughly 50k miles on the original brake fluid. Never ha any issues, even on the pig trail runs. That said, I read that I should probably change out the fluid for a high temp fluid and go ahead an bleed the brakes.

Stupid question I'm sure:

Would this be advisable, to bleed the brakes and put in a new fluid before a race weekend?

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Super Moderator
16,392 Posts
I have no specific knowledge to offer, however when we did track day in Austin at the nationals there were a lot of armatures on the track for a lot of hot laps with the factory brakes and no issues.

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Oh, yeah. Especially after the Razorback Run. Flush and fill with Dot 4 or better. Track day running w/ moderate to hard braking WILL cook the stock, Dot 3, fluid.
Oh, and remember NOT to set your parking brake anytime during the track day. Aks me how I know...;)

·
Premium Member
10,464 Posts
As others have said, do the fluid change and bleed.
Make sure you test it with a few runs before the race.
Good luck and enjoy it.

·
Registered
14 Posts
For Hallett - Flush with a good hi-temp Dot 4 fluid. Make sure your pads are in good shape, and if you need, change out to a better pad. The stock pads will get soft at Hallett and leave a lot of material on the rotors.

Depending on how long your sessions will be, you may want to flush the radiator as well. It is going to be close to 100* and the cars do get hot running on a tight track like that.

Also - listen to your instructor. The bitch corner was named that for a reason!

·
Registered
848 Posts
absolutely want new fluid with 50k and 4+ yrs on original fluid. As mentioned are these also original pads? Just make sure you test beforehand if you aren't experienced at bleeding brakes, don't want a mushy pedal. I probably would not put new pads on unless you go with a stockish type pad since some of these performance aftermarket pads warn that they have a slow break in period.

·
Premium Member
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well, my first HST track day went amazingly!

First two laps of the first session were caution laps in which I was able to follow an experienced driver and see the lines. After that we were set loose. The first session was definitely a fire hose effect on learning how to drive 10/10s. I chose not to bleed the breaks and put in new fluid. That being said, I was a little nervous on how hard I could be on the brakes, so the first session I was pretty cautious around the track. Cautious/over-excited. My excitement to try to keep up with other cars, or stay ahead of other cars got the better of me as I went around a hairpin turn and hit the rumble strip on the passenger side. It was high enough to jar the car loose and cause me to slide off to the left. I got going again and then focused myself and realized that I need to focus on learning the track; not racing anyone else. So I did. By the end of the first session I was running from 1:48/lap to 1:46. Each session was 8-10 laps btw. The second session I dropped it to 1:44. The third session stayed about the same, but with one dramatic exception. I spun it.

There was a guy in a raced up Civic who was a couple seconds a lap quicker than me coming up behind. He was getting crazy close to me; and you are not supposed to pass except for on one of four approved straights. I was in a long stretch of no passing and didn't want to mess up his lap time by slowing him down. Well, as I came around 5 "Dam Turn", which is a slow left hander sweeping down to a very short straight before the hairpin. It apparently is a tough turn for cars with power and short wheelbases. i.e. Vipers, me... So I spun it around doing about 60-65mph. I pushed in the clutch and brake like I was told. Started slowing down on the track nicely, then went off into the grass, and immediately remembered the instructor saying that it will feel like you speed up in the grass. It did... I could see the tire wall whooshing by on my right and I braced for impact as I slid backwards. Came to a stop about 10 feet from the wall. Whew...

The flag marshall was waving the yellow flag and I waited till an appropriate time to rejoin the track and took off. Pulled in the pits and the track marshall asked me if everything was good. I said yeah, he said, "Well, get back out there!" By the end of the session I was down to 1:42.

My fourth session I had about 1/8th of a tank left. I set off with a passenger this time; a buddy of mine who's helmet I borrowed. I told him we may only get a few laps. Sure enough, at the conclusion of lap 2 the low fuel light came on. I made it around a third lap when, on the last turn, the engine sputtered. I idled down the straight into the pits and pulled up to the gas station. They were out of 91 octane. I had to get race gas. 104 octane. $8.50/gallon. So 10 gallons later and nearly 90 dollars in the tank, we set off again.

By the fifth session, I was determined that this car was capable of a 1:39. I just knew it. I just needed to learn the track and the car better. I set out as the first car in line and had the track to myself for the first two laps. I was determined. Then a highly modified Miata, driven by one of the regular experienced drivers, came out on the track behind me. I was quicker on the straights as the supercharger kicked in, then he reeled me in on the corners. I eventually let him pass, because I remebered a Miata guy complaining in the driver's meeting about people not letting them pass. So I did, but I wasn't going to let him get away. And he didn't! I focused on following his line and braking patterns. I kept right up with him. It was a real cat and mouse game where he pulled away on the corners and I reeled him in on the straights. It was awesome! By the end, we were spent. Thumbs up all around.

I pulled into the paddock and approached my wife, who was tracking the times on her phone app. She had good news. 1:39! I did it! Last lap on the last session. Huzzah! What a day!

·
Registered
1,910 Posts
Glad to hear you had a good day at the track. :thumbs:
Now, you'll need to check your sway bar bolts and especially the hub bolts. After some hard running, they have a nasty habit of coming loose. It's a bad thing if your hub comes off. :yesnod:

LINKY

1 - 9 of 9 Posts