Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
The Ride & Drive show in the Buffalo area is on for thurs & fri.
They all came into town today. I warmed up to the guys and after the track course was set up, he took me around it about 7 or 8 times turning 7k rpm. Believe me, it turns almost like a go kart. Brakes are excellent with no noticable fade. He took it to 7 k rpm then hit the brakes bringing it to a stop in ~30ft. He then took it out onto the road taking us to 80mph+. He said there was no lag spot in acceleration if you know how to shift it. I also took some measurments off the road to the bottom of the grille, and to the bottom of the fascia, and to the bottom of the air deflector. I believe the license plate can be mounted below the grille.
They brought about 15 Solstice's of all colors.
You can see them at Antique World on Main St in the Clarence Hollow.
Oh...Traveling in high gear at ~ 60mph and you floor it, there is no response whatsoever..nothing..need to down shift.

·
4,592 Posts
GNS said:
They all came into town today. I warmed up to the guys and after Scott set up the track course, he took me around it about 7 or 8 times turning 7k rpm. Believe me, it turns almost like a go kart. Brakes are exellent with no noticable fade. He took it to 7 k rpm then hit the brakes bringing it to a stop in ~30ft. He then took it out onto the road taking us to 80mph+. He said there was no lag spot in acceleration if you know how to shift it. I also took some measurments off the road to the bottom of the grille, and to the bottom of the fascia, and to the bottom of the air deflector. I believe the license plate can be mounted below the grille.
Now I know where Ff88 is this afternoon :cool:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
RODEO said:
Now I know where Ff88 is this afternoon :cool:
Yup, bet he's there!

Thanks GNS, sounds like you had a blast.

·
Registered
515 Posts
GNS said:
I also took some measurments off the road to the bottom of the grille, and to the bottom of the fascia, and to the bottom of the air deflector. I believe the license plate can be mounted below the grille.
No, no, no! Moving the front plate any lower than it already is (as in lower on the grill or below the grill) will cause airflow problems. The fan will run more, the engine will run hotter, and you're just asking for problems. This comes from the Kappa engineers in Detroit.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Chris said:
No, no, no! Moving the front plate any lower than it already is (as in lower on the grill or below the grill) will cause airflow problems. The fan will run more, the engine will run hotter, and you're just asking for problems. This comes from the Kappa engineers in Detroit.
If the plate is hinged at the top and allowed to swing back with air press. it will not obstruct air flow as far as sq.in. goes if the plate matches the curvature of the lower facia which is only a slight curve for the plate hgt of 6 in..

·
Registered
515 Posts
GNS said:
If the plate is hinged at the top and allowed to swing back with air press. it will not obstruct air flow as far as sq.in. goes if the plate matches the curvature of the lower facia which is only a slight curve for the plate hgt of 6 in..
It's your car, obviously, but I felt this was a needed warning. I'm only passing on info I was told from the engineers that designed the car (and airflow). Personally, I would not monkey with airflow.

This part is just a guess and DID NOT COME FROM GM, but moving the plate may have a negative impact on your warranty.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Chris said:
They're just messin' with you then, because no one in their right mind would design a passenger car with so little tolerance for heat. These aren't race cars, they're passenger cars, designed to be in rush-hour traffic for hours at a time, designed to work in cold Chicago winters, and hot Arid-zone-ah summers. I find it hard to believe that the car would be THAT senstive to moving the plate.

Passenger cars aren't starved for air. They're flooded in air. Dunk a Solstice in a lake. Do you think there's anywhere that water didn't get into it? Air is a fluid, just like water, at the operational speeds of a passenger car.

I can't believe that moving the plate lower, while probably illegal, will have an adverse effect bad enough to cause problems. Plenty of air can still go around the plate, it's only about a foot wide.

But what the hell do I know? I only graduated cum laude with a degree in Aerospace Engineering. No, really! No, seriously! It's true.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Thre front air dam I would imagine would help with cooling as well (e.g. camaro's and firebird's). Also works good at catching plastic bags floating on the roads. Should have took a pic of it when I was at the party.

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
The Batman said:
They're just messin' with you then, because no one in their right mind would design a passenger car with so little tolerance for heat. These aren't race cars, they're passenger cars, designed to be in rush-hour traffic for hours at a time, designed to work in cold Chicago winters, and hot Arid-zone-ah summers. I find it hard to believe that the car would be THAT senstive to moving the plate.

Passenger cars aren't starved for air. They're flooded in air. Dunk a Solstice in a lake. Do you think there's anywhere that water didn't get into it? Air is a fluid, just like water, at the operational speeds of a passenger car.

I can't believe that moving the plate lower, while probably illegal, will have an adverse effect bad enough to cause problems. Plenty of air can still go around the plate, it's only about a foot wide.

But what the hell do I know? I only graduated cum laude with a degree in Aerospace Engineering. No, really! No, seriously! It's true.
:agree:

·
Registered
905 Posts
Drex said:
Thre front air dam I would imagine would help with cooling as well (e.g. camaro's and firebird's). Also works good at catching plastic bags floating on the roads. Should have took a pic of it when I was at the party.
My Sunfire has it too, just another thing to scrape on the ground though :(

·
Registered
177 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Adrenaline said:
The air deflector directs the air vertically up to the rad. and is located at the bottom of the rad. The deflector is made of flexible rubber like material and is 3.12 in. off of the ground. The bottom of the grille is 10 in. off the ground. The bottom of the facia (body) is 6 in. off the ground.

·
Registered
281 Posts
Adrenaline said:
Better to scrape that than the body, no? The deflectors are kinda sacrificial, designed to be replaced every few years, I think.

On my '94 Camaro, I still have the original piece and it's really been ground down through the years. It's probably over 2 inches shorter than when new.

On late model Corvettes, that deflector is spring mounted, so that it gives way when it scrapes, which it does on every incline, and every speedbump, etc.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
The Batman said:
Better to scrape that than the body, no? The deflectors are kinda sacrificial, designed to be replaced every few years, I think. QUOTE]

:agree: Better to hear the scrape and know you better watch out than hit the body.

My brain tells me you are right about the air flow thing (since you didn't say what school you actually went to, we must assume it was Mickey Mouse U :lol: ), but I'm not sure it's a warrented issue. Going through the effort to put it lower with some sort of hinge just sounds like wasted energy to me. It's not going to look any better in my opinion. Either put it where it's supposed to go, or don't put it on at all. So far, of the people in "front license plate states" on this forum, I think about 80% of them are going to just leave it off. Hey Moderators, do we have a poll about that anywhere yet?

- Leave It Off
- Put It On With Factory Bracket
- Modify/Move it
- Don't Live In a Front License Plate State.

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
I'm not especially worried about the front air dam. What makes it different from the 'Vette and the F bodies is how close it is to the front wheels. That long overhang of yesteryear exacerbated the ground clearance problem by making the lowest point on the car scrape for several feet before the wheels started climbing an incline. And as has been said, it is a flexible, sacrificial curb feeler. But I will have to modify my parking lot "drive by feel" technic when approaching bumper stoppers. I've had to reattach one on a pickup when my daughter tore it off on a high curb.

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GNS said:
They all came into town today. I warmed up to the guys and after the track course was set up, he took me around it about 7 or 8 times turning 7k rpm. Believe me, it turns almost like a go kart. Brakes are excellent with no noticable fade. He took it to 7 k rpm then hit the brakes bringing it to a stop in ~30ft. He then took it out onto the road taking us to 80mph+. He said there was no lag spot in acceleration if you know how to shift it. I also took some measurments off the road to the bottom of the grille, and to the bottom of the fascia, and to the bottom of the air deflector. I believe the license plate can be mounted below the grille.
Oh...Traveling in high gear at ~ 60mph and you floor it, there is no response whatsoever..nothing..need to down shift.
I stopped by today. No rides were being offered, but they let me snoop around. Both outside, and inside at their displays where they were doing the training.

There were probably about 20 Sol's all told. A couple for the circular coned off track, a bunch lined up for a drive around the block, and a couple inside for the in class session of the training.

I have seen the Solstice in person before, but this is the first time I had seen any in colors other than silver. I thought the red and the white looked best. I like stand out colors, and both of these were sharp. It looked good in all colors too. Those were just my favorites.

I guess my biggest surprise was how small the interior looked. I wouldn't call it cramped (I consider the NB Miata a little cramped) but it will feel snug. The seats did not appear to be especially wide, and the dash didn't seem especially far forward. It will be a good, sporty driving environment, especially with the top down. However, I am not sure how it will feel with a decently lengthy drive with the top up. I wasn't going to be so bold as to just jump into one (Pontiac rep didn't invite me to and I didn't want to pry too much after getting permission to walk around inside their training building) so final judgement will be reserved, but first impression is that it may feel a little claustrophobic with the top up. Then again, it could all be an illusion since the side windows are not really that big.

After seeing the engine bay, I wish Mallett luck squeezing an LS2 in there, and having sufficient room, exhaust, intake and airflow room for cooling. It's going to be one tight fit.

I did not look in the trunk. I didn't want to spoil my day. :)

They look good sitting there. All lined up, it takes a double take to tell wether they are Posche Boxters or Pontiac Solstices (because you cannot see their grille's when they are bumper to bumper). Pontiac certainly got the styling right on these beauties.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
My front plate holder will be a guy in an orange vest holding a sign thas says slow on one side and stop on the other.

I hope he doesn't drop my front plate trying to hold onto his walkie talkie :devil:

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
Now that's one great trunk solution, don't look in the trunk until after you drive it off the lot :lol:

I had hoped you were going to get to drive one, too bad, would have liked to hear your thoughts. Oh, well, soon enough. Thanks for sharing!

I'm growing on red, and white has always been a favorite, good to her those comments. Can't wait to see one finally!

·
Registered
105 Posts
where next?

Fformula88 said:
I stopped by today. No rides were being offered, but they let me snoop around. Both outside, and inside at their displays where they were doing the training.

There were probably about 20 Sol's all told. A couple for the circular coned off track, a bunch lined up for a drive around the block, and a couple inside for the in class session of the training.

I have seen the Solstice in person before, but this is the first time I had seen any in colors other than silver. I thought the red and the white looked best. I like stand out colors, and both of these were sharp. It looked good in all colors too. Those were just my favorites.

I guess my biggest surprise was how small the interior looked. I wouldn't call it cramped (I consider the NB Miata a little cramped) but it will feel snug. The seats did not appear to be especially wide, and the dash didn't seem especially far forward. It will be a good, sporty driving environment, especially with the top down. However, I am not sure how it will feel with a decently lengthy drive with the top up. I wasn't going to be so bold as to just jump into one (Pontiac rep didn't invite me to and I didn't want to pry too much after getting permission to walk around inside their training building) so final judgement will be reserved, but first impression is that it may feel a little claustrophobic with the top up. Then again, it could all be an illusion since the side windows are not really that big.

After seeing the engine bay, I wish Mallett luck squeezing an LS2 in there, and having sufficient room, exhaust, intake and airflow room for cooling. It's going to be one tight fit.

They look good sitting there. All lined up, it takes a double take to tell wether they are Posche Boxters or Pontiac Solstices (because you cannot see their grille's when they are bumper to bumper). Pontiac certainly got the styling right on these beauties.

Will the next dealer presentation be in NYC metro area or New England?

Any chance you could attach one of those GPS systems they have for tracking your teenager to one of the haulers? ;)

There must be an event like a country fair or something in the NYC metro area or New England this weekend then the R&D on Monday?

Even a Pontiac named theater? (ie; the new Chevy HHR is at the Chevrolet Theater in Wallingford CT.

I would really like to see the car in person if I could.

Thanks to all on the forum. It is fun to be able to talk cars at will without the groans from the family!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Bonzo said:
The Batman said:
Better to scrape that than the body, no? The deflectors are kinda sacrificial, designed to be replaced every few years, I think. QUOTE]

:agree: Better to hear the scrape and know you better watch out than hit the body.

My brain tells me you are right about the air flow thing (since you didn't say what school you actually went to, we must assume it was Mickey Mouse U :lol: ), but I'm not sure it's a warrented issue. Going through the effort to put it lower with some sort of hinge just sounds like wasted energy to me. It's not going to look any better in my opinion. Either put it where it's supposed to go, or don't put it on at all. So far, of the people in "front license plate states" on this forum, I think about 80% of them are going to just leave it off. Hey Moderators, do we have a poll about that anywhere yet?

- Leave It Off
- Put It On With Factory Bracket
- Modify/Move it
- Don't Live In a Front License Plate State.
Great Idea... I'll start a poll.

1 - 20 of 73 Posts