Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
:cryin: The first scratch :cryin: Oh well the pressure is off me. The first scratch to her car and she did it. Fortunately, well below the front grill, so you have to get real low to see it. The best thing is I warned her several times that she would hit a parking curb if she wasn't careful, so she doesn't have any excuses.

Now,any suggestions for the touch-up paint?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Just buy her another one..... if she scratches that one..... divorce her....

·
Registered
191 Posts
I like my Idea better..... I'm a very defensive person when it comes to a new car though..... I'll walk the mile and a half to the mall entrance just so I can park in an open lot....... Seriously though...... if nessa got scratched I think I would bleed

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
I'd be going nuts! :willy: I am a fanatic about the appearance of a car when it is new! I wash/wax my vehicles enough that I become familiar with scratches too, so even when I have an older vehicle I still know when it has suffered a recent scratch! Sorry to hear your new Sol suffered it's first blemish!

·
4,592 Posts
Any of you old timers remember a long time ago, Solsticeman recommended that as soon as you get a new car, take a key and place a small nick in the door to "just get it over with". That one stayed with me for a long time....... :lol:

I shot from a very old memory on that one, so forgive me if I messed it up!

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
RODEO said:
Any of you old timers remember a long time ago, Solsticeman recommended that as soon as you get a new car, take a key and place a small nock in the door to "just get it over with". That one stayed with me for a long time....... :lol:

I shot from avery old memory on that one, so forgive me if I messed it up!
:lol: Go ahead. This one is all you! I think I will take my chances on waiting for scratches to happen on their own! They sure happen enough on their own! :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Fformula88 said:
:lol: Go ahead. This one is all you! I think I will take my chances on waiting for scratches to happen on their own! They sure happen enough on their own! :lol:
Yep, that was my thought when he said is, but it stuck with me anyways........ :glol:

·
Registered
191 Posts
I would hate to have to shoot myself for scratching my car....... no self application here

·
Sol Driving Member
2,597 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I'd be going nuts! :willy: I am a fanatic about the appearance of a car when it is new! I wash/wax my vehicles enough that I become familiar with scratches too, so even when I have an older vehicle I still know when it has suffered a recent scratch! Sorry to hear your new Sol suffered it's first blemish!
It has been driven off the showroom floor, it isn't new any more...at least that is how I willl try to convince my that iit isn't so bad when the same thing happens to mine. :willy: Just don't lwt the wife get the first scratch. :brentil:

·
Mod Emeritus
7,468 Posts
GO_DRVN said:
It has been driven off the showroom floor, it isn't new any more...at least that is how I willl try to convince my that iit isn't so bad when the same thing happens to mine. :willy: Just don't lwt the wife get the first scratch. :brentil:
My Fiero is 18 years old and I still go balistic when I find a new scratch! :brentil:

Although I have mellowed some. Now that the paint on the trunklid has begun to peel off on it's own accord, I don't go quite as nuts anymore. ;) :lol:

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
Fformula88 said:
My Fiero is 18 years old and I still go balistic when I find a new scratch! :brentil:

Although I have mellowed some. Now that the paint on the trunklid has begun to peel off on it's own accord, I don't go quite as nuts anymore. ;) :lol:
Amazing how when it begins to disintegrate on it's own, we just begin to accept it. :) As soon as I get my Sol I'm gonna start tearing my 65 Malibu convertible down and do a complete rebuild, and then I will give it a beautiful paint job again. But since I'll have the Sol it will allow me to take all the time I need without the pressure to get it done so that I can get it back on the road again.

·
Registered
179 Posts
Thats what I want pics of

Editguy said:
Amazing how when it begins to disintegrate on it's own, we just begin to accept it. :) As soon as I get my Sol I'm gonna start tearing my 65 Malibu convertible down and do a complete rebuild, and then I will give it a beautiful paint job again. But since I'll have the Sol it will allow me to take all the time I need without the pressure to get it done so that I can get it back on the road again.
I'd like to see your restoration project as you go. It will take a while for my hubby to get started on his baby, now that we've got to pay for mine. We "refound" her 2 years ago after selling her to his brother when children came along. Now that kids are older, we are able to recommit to the SS restoration. However, a new 2 car garage is in order BEFORE he begins his project of love, because as bad as I am about my sol getting scratched ( we put packing covers over almost everything in the garage, including his 4 wheelers) he will be worse when it gets done.
BTW, '65 Chevy Malibu SS, 327 w\300 h heads, bored .40, lunati cam, .468/.470 split lift, 292/276 duration, flat top pistions, balanced, turbo 350 w\shift kit, posi trac rear. He is looking to (eventually) do a body off rest. on this one.
We will have to put new qts, floor pans, find or buy all chrome. All in all, not as bad as it could be, but will be a slow and long process. I'd love to keep up with you.

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
AV8AV8tor said:
:cryin: The first scratch :cryin: Oh well the pressure is off me. The first scratch to her car and she did it. Fortunately, well below the front grill, so you have to get real low to see it. The best thing is I warned her several times that she would hit a parking curb if she wasn't careful, so she doesn't have any excuses.

Now,any suggestions for the touch-up paint?
Everybody who buys a Solstice is going to do this sooner or later. It's just lower than the parking curb. I know, I've done it too. Luckily, the scratches are down so low, that you have to turn your head upside down to see them. The little touch up brush is the way to go here if the scratches bug you.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I though I was being so careful

My husband has warned me also, but sure enough, as we were outside this am, I thought I was seeing reflections of the pin oak leaves under the car, except I couldn't figure out how they were reflecting in the same direction. As I laid down to look closer, it wasn't a reflection at all! Somehow I scratched the underside of the front. I've been going over all the places I've been since washing it yesterday afternoon, and still can't guess where it happened. I was only at the high school fooltball game, and didn't park in the lot wit curbs, but on grass by the front gate. I guess when I backed out it may have happened, or over those damned speed breakers! I didn't have the radio on and I don't recall hearing anything!
So I laid in the driveway crying. I guess you guys won't be doing that, but I did. I'm still sick over it.
AV8AV8tor said:
:cryin: Now,any suggestions for the touch-up paint?

·
Registered
2,171 Posts
WannaSolstice said:
I'd like to see your restoration project as you go. It will take a while for my hubby to get started on his baby, now that we've got to pay for mine. We "refound" her 2 years ago after selling her to his brother when children came along. Now that kids are older, we are able to recommit to the SS restoration. However, a new 2 car garage is in order BEFORE he begins his project of love, because as bad as I am about my sol getting scratched ( we put packing covers over almost everything in the garage, including his 4 wheelers) he will be worse when it gets done.
BTW, '65 Chevy Malibu SS, 327 w\300 h heads, bored .40, lunati cam, .468/.470 split lift, 292/276 duration, flat top pistions, balanced, turbo 350 w\shift kit, posi trac rear. He is looking to (eventually) do a body off rest. on this one.
We will have to put new qts, floor pans, find or buy all chrome. All in all, not as bad as it could be, but will be a slow and long process. I'd love to keep up with you.
I will try to do pics as I go. You do the same when your husband gets started on his. Body off is exactly what I'm going to do. I'm going to do new qtrs and door skins. I've wanted to do this for a long time, but I have always needed the car as a backup. The Sol will allow me to finally get it done, and to enjoy it while I'm doing it! I wish mine was a SS, but it is a convertible and even in it's current, aged look, I get offers for it no matter where I go. But I can't sell, it would be like selling a member of the family!

·
Registered
1,487 Posts
Keep in mind that a light scratch in the clearcoat will leave a white mark. If that's the case, you can often get it out by merely taking some Scratch-Off or detailing glaze to polish it up. It will take some hard rubbing, but I've seen some pretty impressive results on some scratches that I didn't think would come out. This obviously won't help if the paint is actually gouged, but if that's the case, you usually see either black plasti or metal underneath instead of a white mark. Anyway ... just a thought.

·
Premium Member
4,041 Posts
Sooner or later it happens. My incident happened about two weeks ago. I stopped to gas up and when I opened my door it caught the edge of the curb around the gas pumps. The curb had a SHARP corner sticking out. OUCH! I now have a very tiny mark on the back edge of my drivers door at the bottom. I was bummed for days and then I finally got over it. I bought the car as a daily driver and I knew it would happen sooner or later. I had my Miata repainted after three years to eliminate all of the chips and marks which happen to a driven car, I guess I'll have to bite the bullet and just know it will have to someday happen to my Solstice too. I've been thinking about asking any Forum members who shaved off their GM emblems if they would send me one so I could glue it over the mark. :lol:

·
4,592 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I had my Miata repainted after three years to eliminate all of the chips and marks which happen to a driven car
How much did that cost to do?

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.