Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All!
Just did an even trade of my custom painted ‘53 Ford for an ‘08 GXP with 57,000 miles. I live in Southwest Virginia where there are very scenic roadways. The vehicle seems to run well and really holds the road. I took it for state inspection yesterday and the tech said it is like new underneath. Good to know. Any advice?
I just ordered an interior drivers side door handle as mine is peeling and is a bit sharp. Is this a job I can do myself or should I find a tech?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice you have for me.

Attachments

·
Registered
6,882 Posts
Congrats, check into what's know as a chassis brace package. There's a couple different vendors that offer their own versions. You didn't mention if auto or manual, but if manual a DDM short shifter, and you might want to check into tunes. GM does offer one if you want to stay all OEM, or you can go w/an aftermarket can tune that are cheaper and offer greater performance that the GM one.

This is a recent thread regarding tunes, worth a read if you want more performance: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f43/gmpp-tune-tunes-general-159387/

·
Super Moderator
6,015 Posts
Hello All!
Just did an even trade of my custom painted ‘53 Ford for an ‘08 GXP with 57,000 miles. I live in Southwest Virginia where there are very scenic roadways. The vehicle seems to run well and really holds the road. I took it for state inspection yesterday and the tech said it is like new underneath. Good to know. Any advice?
I just ordered an interior drivers side door handle as mine is peeling and is a bit sharp. Is this a job I can do myself or should I find a tech?
Thanks for reading and I look forward to any advice you have for me.
Welcome to the forum and the family.

If you are moderately competent working on things you should be able to do it yourself, as many people have. You can find a how-to here on the forum or on YouTube.

Here is a very lengthy, but very informative post with a lot of new-owner information: https://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f25/wise-words-wise-man-new-owner-information-88538/#post1322250

Something I do not think is in that post is information about the Passenger Seat Sensor for the airbag. There is a recall for chronic failure of the sensor, but you should already know that. The single most important thing to know is to never kneel or put concentrated force anywhere in the seating area, as it is the most common cause of premature failure.

There are also several mentions of warranty repairs that, due to the age of the cars, are no longer going to be covered.

While there are a lot of things you can do to your car, and one or two that I consider essential, you really should simply drive it for a while to try to learn what you like and don't like about it. It is pointless for you to spend time and money on what I consider essential if you don't.

Good luck, have fun, be safe, and don't be afraid to ask questions. You will, however, be advised to "Do a search" if it appears that you are just asking out of the blue.
The forum search is under TOOLS in the toolbar, and is called Advanced Search. There is also, of course, Google.

·
Premium Member
3,588 Posts
check out the Virginia sky/solstice group on Facebook. ( https://www.facebook.com/groups/vmssc )
They are doing a Skyline drive run on Oct 12, 2019
Always a good time with great people!

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Congratulations on the new car. You'll love it. I'm on my second; never should have gotten rid of my first one.

My first one had the GMPP tune, installed by GM (as is necessary for the code reflash). I can state that the gains were real; I could break the rear tires free in turns, and the car would get rubber in gears 1-4 when new to begin with...if you flogged it. I only did that trick twice. The nice thing about the GMPP tune at the time (2011 when I had it done) was that it carried the warranty.

Today, the GMPP tune still does interest me, as while it costs a bit, I had quite a trouble-free experience and my indicated MPG actually increased on the highway.

The link John provides ha this info, but in the interests of reinforcing the info, do not ever tow the car. Flatbed only. In addition, many Sols have "fender frown" on the inside bottom of the front fenders, from damage due to, frankly, ignorant techs lifting the car incorrectly. It's pretty standard. GM did it to my '07 Sol GXP in 2008. My current one has extremely minor damage there and it can't be seen; I've seen some mashed flat underneath. These cars need to be lifted similar to Corvettes, with 'pucks' that place the lift in the correct location. John's link covers that too, but it is worth mentioning twice.

·
Premium Member
422 Posts
Welcome to the forum... check the dates on the tires - one of the best upgrades for my GXP was getting rid of the TEN year old Goodyears and putting on a set of Michelin Pilot Sports!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts