Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
For those of us geting an early Solstice where will will you take it? For me, I think a great top down summer trip would be up M35 and US2 along the north coast of Lake Michigan to Machinac. Maybe a buz down the back roads to Road America for the Vintage Races. And for the cost of a one day membership, a spin around the track in the Sol!

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Primus said:
If I *do* get one I think my first trip will be a nice drive along the Missouri River then down to the Lake of the Ozarks where my family has a place. I'll have to remember to wear sunscreen with the top down though :cool:

Between the Harley and now (hopefully) the Solstice I will need to buy sunscreen by the case!

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
500 mile break in, then a trip to the dealer for an oil change checkup, then a trip to the dyno shop to see what this engine really does. :D I want to try to get info out as soon as possible.

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
You might try a 1000 mile break in - but I'm sure if I mention it, it will start a tangential discussion. I've heard many different theories for engine sealing and wear-in...

·
5,600 Posts
"Jimbo, you just bought a Pontiac Solstice. What are you going to do now?"

"I'm going to Disney World!" :D

·
Registered
403 Posts
Since I am in a special situation (military stationed in Europe), my first trip will be around London, across the channel and then down the Normandy coast. Future trips across Europe to Italy (and a chance to see the top speed on the autobahn). But every trip will be special to some degree as for a while it should be the only production Solstice in England (or Europe). Thank you Overseas Military Car Sales!

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Frosty said:
Since I am in a special situation (military stationed in Europe), my first trip will be around London, across the channel and then down the Normandy coast. Future trips across Europe to Italy (and a chance to see the top speed on the autobahn). But every trip will be special to some degree as for a while it should be the only production Solstice in England (or Europe). Thank you Overseas Military Car Sales!
With any luck, I'll be bringing mine over next June. But I'll be at Ramstein in Germany. I doubt we'll run across one another :lol:

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
2KWK4U said:
With any luck, I'll be bringing mine over next June. But I'll be at Ramstein in Germany. I doubt we'll run across one another :lol:
Air Force bases are great place to set up Sunday Slalom.

·
Registered
3,512 Posts
I've got a Shore house reserved for a week in August down the Jersey Shore. Should be a great road trip! I just hope the weather will be warm and sunny, since I won't have room to pack much more than a couple of bathing suits and my sunscreen!!! :cool:

·
Premium Member
5,206 Posts
achieftain said:
Air Force bases are great place to set up Sunday Slalom.
Isn't that what the Lotus facility in England it built on?

And Goodwood Raceway in southern England?

I think several winter test facilities are set up on unused runways.

You bet air force bases are great places to set up tracks. Most airports work well, but the military air strips are EXTRAwide. SCCA runs autocrosses down somewhere in Indiana, I think.

I remember running in the early-mid 90's at autocrosses up in Traverse City - on unused air strips in the fall.

·
Premium Member
8,901 Posts
solsticeman said:
You might try a 1000 mile break in - but I'm sure if I mention it, it will start a tangential discussion. I've heard many different theories for engine sealing and wear-in...
I'm going to talk to the dealer and see if I can get them to find some official GM information, if not then maybe an unofficial suggestion on their break in ideas. Kinda wish they had test cars going around the country that pre-order people could try out before buying. Because I sure as hell don't want to do to my nice pretty new Solstice what I did to the MSM I test drove. I abused that sucker cause I knew they had 20 others just like it I could pick from instead. I want to open the 2.4L VVT ECOTEC all the way, but I have no desire to do that on my brand new car. So even if most people say the cars are broken in and ready from the factory, i'm still going to treat it nice for first 500, 1000, 2000, or however many miles it takes.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
solsticeman said:
Isn't that what the Lotus facility in England it built on?

And Goodwood Raceway in southern England?

I think several winter test facilities are set up on unused runways.

You bet air force bases are great places to set up tracks. Most airports work well, but the military air strips are EXTRAwide. SCCA runs autocrosses down somewhere in Indiana, I think.

I remember running in the early-mid 90's at autocrosses up in Traverse City - on unused air strips in the fall.
And the Cleveland Grand Prix is run on Lakefront Airport.

·
Registered
1,312 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Assuming there is delivery of the Solstice in time, we could have in informal get together at Road America (Elkart Lake, WI) for the Vintage Races (or as my friends say: "Wine and Cheese Racing"). Miata guys gather at turn one. Bigshots (i.e. Porsche, Corvette, BMW etx. have their own paddocks). You can even buy a one day membership for a prerace drive-your-own-car on the track. Hell, even if the Sol isn't built in time we could commiserate at the by then December delivery date and toast a few as we watch everyone else tool around in their other-brand roadsters!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts