Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

Vote for ALL choices you can attend (not just your favorite): [See activities list]

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
2005-09-30 update: Preliminary results posted to thread, and duplicated at the end of this post.

The initial meeting of the West Coast Solstice Club has been set for the weekend of November 5/6. This will be a founding and planning meeting. Now, we need to select the venue so that we can reserve our block of rooms.
When you vote in the survey, be sure to vote for ALL choices you are willing to attend--DON'T vote only for your favorite. :cool:

The optional Friday nights are just an add on. And we've planned some optional events on Saturday mornings for those that want to stay 2 nights.

If you're not already a Solstice Forum member, now's the time to join and cast your vote! :thumbs:
We need a minimum number of rooms rented to get the group rates, so every vote counts.​
There are three venues we have selected and negotiated reduced group rates for rooms:
  1. Monterey
  2. Big Sur
  3. San Simeon
Monterey
Venue: The Colton Inn
Features: On site Meeting Room with large conference table, on site large BBQ grill
Cost:
  • Regular Fri/Sat rate: $139/night
  • Group rate $99/night
Location: Walking distance to Downtown Monterey, 2 miles to Monterey Bay Aquarium. 5.5 hours from LA via Interstate 5 (or 8.5 hours up PCH from LA)

Activities:
  • Optional Friday night: stay over
  • Optional Saturday morning: 17 Mile Drive (optional with Friday night stay)
  • Optional Saturday lunch: Big Sur (optional with Friday night stay)
  • Saturday dinner: BBQ at the Inn
  • Saturday evening: Organizational Meeting
  • Sunday Morning: Coast Hwy to Golden Gate Bridge
  • Sunday Lunch: Sausalito
Big Sur
Venue: Big Sur River Inn
Features: Formal Restaurant, Sandwich Bar, Pool, and "River Chairs" on site
Cost:
  • Regular Fri/Sat rates:
    • $135/night one queen bed
    • $150/night two queen beds
  • Group rates:
    • $100/night one queen bed
    • $120/night two queen beds
Location: on PCH in Big Sur 7.5 hours from Los Angeles up PCH, 23 miles south of Monterey

Activities:
  • Optional Saturday morning: Coast Hwy South to Cambria (optional with Friday night stay)
  • Optional Saturday lunch: Cambria (optional with Friday night stay)
  • Saturday dinner: Diner at the Big Sur River Inn Restaurant
  • Sunday Morning: Coast Hwy North to 17 Mile Drive
  • Sunday Lunch: Monterey on Fisherman's Warf
San Simeon
Venue: Courtesy Inn
Features: Meeting Room, Indoor Pool, Spa
Cost:
  • Regular Fri/Sat rate: $79/night
  • Group rate $59/night
Location: 4.5 hours, 250 Miles from Los Angeles, 40 miles North of San Luis Obispo, 120 Miles South of Monterey

Activities:
  • Optional Saturday morning: Coast Hwy North to Big Sur (optional with Friday night stay)
  • Optional Saturday lunch: Big Sur (optional with Friday night stay)
  • Saturday dinner: Possible catered BBQ at the Inn by The Smokin' Rib BBQ Company ($18/plate with 50 signed up)
  • Sunday Morning: Coast Hwy South to Morro Bay, Glass bottom boat tour of Morro Bay
  • Sunday Lunch: Morro Bay

2005-09-30 Preliminary Survey Results:

Updated: 2005-09-30 11:07:00-07 PDT
I've heard from RichSol, SolLate, orlando, AeroDave, and JetBlackE31. Thanks, folks. I've updated the lists to reflect your added availabilities, or your confirmed unavailabilities.​

Hi folks, here's the summary of the "I can attend venue X" survey:

Monterey:
  • 18 total members
  • 17 rooms needed
  • 6 members "left out"
San Simeon:
  • 15 total members
  • 13 rooms needed
  • 8 members "left out"
Big Sur:
  • 12 total members
  • 10 rooms needed
  • 14 members "left out"
By "left out" I mean of the folks who indicated they could attend one of the venues, but not that particular venue. Folks for whom the whole California Central Coast is beyond the pail are shown already in the survey.

The clear winner with the greatest number of members available, and the fewest number excluded is Monterey. If we can verify sufficient room availability, that choice is looking like the most promising.

San Simeon runs a close second.

Here's the list of those that excluded themselves from the different venues:

Monterey self excluded:
  1. Capt. Jack
  2. hagenaer
  3. jimbo
  4. RichSol
  5. SOL189
  6. SolLate
San Simeon self excluded:
  1. Chance
  2. gravana1
  3. jimbo
  4. psycho-squirrel
  5. Solace
  6. solkool
  7. solsticedream2
  8. Swinging Steak
Big Sur self excluded:
  1. canoeq
  2. Capt. Jack
  3. Chance
  4. gravana1
  5. hagenaer
  6. Jt Star
  7. orlando
  8. psycho-squirrel
  9. RichSol
  10. SOL189
  11. Solace
  12. solkool
  13. SolLate
  14. solsticedream2
I'll send PMs to the Monterey and San Simeon "No"s and see if there's any flexibility. I will need to know whether or not it's a firm "No" so that we can get about the right number of rooms. (The Colton Inn in Monterey has 50 rooms, and I'll know tomorrow when I call, how many of them we can get--they've got another group considering meeting there that weekend as well.)

If Monterey cannot accommodate all of us, then we might wind up in San Simeon after all. ;)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
I voted for Big Sur and San Simeon. I'm too close to Monterey. The San Simeon option might be the best because the lower nightly charge could attract more participants, and it is very centraly located.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Monterey Locals: vote like AeroDave, but post too...

AeroDave said:
I voted for Big Sur and San Simeon. I'm too close to Monterey. The San Simeon option might be the best because the lower nightly charge could attract more participants, and it is very centrally located.
But, if it were Monterey, you might still attend, and stay in your own home Friday and Saturday nights, right?

We'd still expect you to eat some of the BBQ... It would be a moral imperative! ;)

So you folks who are within driving distance of Monterey, vote the way AeroDave voted, but post to the thread and indicate if you would be able to make the BBQ and meeting Saturday night in Monterey. :cool:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Centrally located

How could I NOT go to any one of these? If we do Monterey, I will know some other roads in the area that are good for early morning drives (besides 17-mile drive, although 17-mile is a MUST as well). I haven't driven many of them in about 9 years, though, and I'm waiting until I actually have my Solstice to refamiliarize myself.

So shall I refrain from voting so as not to throw off the numbers for reservations? I would just stay at my home overnight no matter what the venue. I don't mind driving up and down the PCH a little to get to the meeting. :)

·
Registered
106 Posts
I could do San Simeon saturday morning and early afternoon (having to leave by 2:30p at the latest for work @ 6p) There, unfortunately isn't an option for me to vote for...that and I may reconsider using some of my paid vacation to venture up there ~ then I could do Monterey/Big Sur...hehe...get paid to hang out...love it. :cool: I guess it depends on how fast the n00b managers get up to speed here. :willy:

oooh...the drive from the 101 to Pinnacles National Monument...there's some fun... :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
2KWK4U said:
How could I NOT go to any one of these?

So shall I refrain from voting so as not to throw off the numbers for reservations? I would just stay at my home overnight no matter what the venue. I don't mind driving up and down the PCH a little to get to the meeting. :)
Posting that you'll attend some or any of the meetings/activities is actually BETTER than voting. (It helps bump the thread ;))

Thanks for the note. Sounds like I'll definitely get to see you again in November. :D

With regard to the other roads, don't worry, there will be plenty of chances to share them on future weekend meetings. I figured I'd hit the biggest roadster trips I could fit into the schedule. Myself, I'm particularly partial to the Golden Gate Bridge trip. :cool:

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
But, if it were Monterey, you might still attend, and stay in your own home Friday and Saturday nights, right?

We'd still expect you to eat some of the BBQ... It would be a moral imperative! ;)

So you folks who are within driving distance of Monterey, vote the way AeroDave voted, but post to the thread and indicate if you would be able to make the BBQ and meeting Saturday night in Monterey. :cool:
Yeah, I'd go. It's just I haven't been down to San Simeon in a long while and I'm more in the mood for a longer road trip that's all. Saving money's also a factor now that I have car payments again! :cryin:

·
Registered
844 Posts
I like the idea and thanx for the poll with some options for people to consider, but maybe you could consider waiting a few more months?

Why you ask? Well people might want to actually drive their Solstices to this event, and the deliveries have not been able to keep up with demand. Also, November isnt exactly top down driving weather.....I would really prefer april thru sept and yes I live on the west coast.

One more thing, how about considering a few options outside of california every once in a while? I love the PCH but there are many scenic drives from san diego all the way up to oregon and washington state. I would be driving from Canada so northern calif is roughly one extra day of travel, whereas Oregon's coast (also very scenic despite the state it's in) is closer and easily within one LONG days drive.

I just wanted to add my two bits worth of input for anyone planning such an event. It would be nice if it was an international west coast meet rather than just a California owners meet.

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yup, most of the activities are focused around driving the roads

AeroDave said:
Yeah, I'd go. It's just I haven't been down to San Simeon in a long while and I'm more in the mood for a longer road trip that's all. Saving money's also a factor now that I have car payments again! :cryin:
Yup, that's why we're conducting the survey. There are several complicated factors, so the best way to find out what folks are willing to "drive out to" and/or pay for a night's lodging is to provide several alternatives and see which ones folks will attend. Sometimes, that extra $40 in the room rate makes all the difference.

Regarding the longer road trip, keep in mind that the trip from Monterey up the coast to Sausalito is more than 125 miles each direction, so, it's a full day's drive round trip at a leisurely pace... 2.5-3 hours up, lunch 1.5 to 2 hrs, 2.5-3 hours back.... is about 6.5 to 8 hours... ;)

Now, for those already in the bay area, it's a daily affair, but the temptation of The Golden Gate Bridge was just too much to pass up for a roadster trip, so it made it into one of the suggested activities.

We'll see how the survey proceeds. My hope is that folks will like the possible venues and answer, "Sure, I can do these two, but the other one is too {expensive/far/whatever} for me". If we don't get a clear winner, then we'll change the vote and hold a popularity contest. I'm really trying to make this as inclusive as possible.

Speaking of which, I should add some language to the thread starter which says that the meeting is open to all interested parties, Solstice on hand or not... ;)

·
Registered
1,570 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
One more thing, how about considering a few options outside of california every once in a while? I love the PCH but there are many scenic drives from san diego all the way up to oregon and washington state. I would be driving from Canada so northern calif is roughly one extra day of travel, whereas Oregon's coast (also very scenic despite the state it's in) is closer and easily within one LONG days drive.

I just wanted to add my two bits worth of input for anyone planning such an event. It would be nice if it was an international west coast meet rather than just a California owners meet.
Thanks for pointing that this is a West Coast club meet to my fuzzy brain. I seem to be so California centric that when I saw the first sentence of CA's first post I immediately thought California, and therefore suggested that San Simeon was more central. Duh. I would be more than happy to drive north to Oregon and have my gas pumped for me! :lol: However, November wouldn't be so great for Oregon because we would want our tops down of coarse.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Any one of these would be fine for me. But I would not need the hotel (family in each location).

For those worried about the weather, early November between San Simeon and San Francisco is pretty temperate for us (cold if compared to the Central Valley or San Diego). Should be in high 60s and 70s at least.

·
Registered
576 Posts
My vote would be for San Simeon. It is 284 miles each way but would be happy to bring the Solstice. Much farther north is hard to justfy for a weekend trip.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Yes to the Club, No to the Drive........

SolLate said:
My vote would be for San Simeon. It is 284 miles each way but would be happy to bring the Solstice. Much farther north is hard to justfy for a weekend trip.
SolLate, looks like you'll be representing the Inland Empire. Let me know how I can help when you return.
I'm all for the club, but not interested in Driving to Northern California in November. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
psycho-squirrel said:
I like the idea and thanx for the poll with some options for people to consider, but maybe you could consider waiting a few more months?

Why you ask? Well people might want to actually drive their Solstices to this event, and the deliveries have not been able to keep up with demand. Also, November isn't exactly top down driving weather.....I would really prefer April thru Sept. and yes I live on the west coast.

One more thing, how about considering a few options outside of California every once in a while? I love the PCH but there are many scenic drives from San Diego all the way up to Oregon and Washington state. I would be driving from Canada so Northern Calif. is roughly one extra day of travel, whereas Oregon's coast (also very scenic despite the state it's in) is closer and easily within one LONG days drive.

We will absolutely consider venues further North. I'm quite surprised to hear from someone north of Seattle. In a previous poll, the furthest North respondent was in Oregon, so it's good to see our reach even includes our Maple Leaf comrades. :D

Keep in mind that further down the coast, early November is still roadster weather. Our season runs well into December down here. Of course, weather's never 100% predictable, but it should still be early enough in the year.

There were several reasons for the scheduling:
  1. Of the folks who responded to a scheduling survey covering mid October through the first weekend in November, no one reported conflicts on the 5/6 weekend, while several others reported conflicts through most of October.
  2. If we delayed it into later November or early December, folks start feeling the pressure of the Holidays, and attendance would probably drop off sharply.
  3. We wanted to get the club founded this year, rather than waiting for early 2006 after the holidays and then wanting to wait for the first bright days of Spring.
  4. An earlier founding meeting doesn't preclude those who don't already have Solstices. Rather, it provides a chance to get closer too (and probably even get to ride in/drive one) than even at an Auto Show In Motion event.
The Auto Show in Motion events are cool, but, really, you only drive the cars around a very short coned "track" at low speed (less than 25 mph) and it's much shorter than you expect. They're not even as good a test drive as one you could get through a dealership. ...That is, if you could get a test drive at a dealership. The Solstice is probably going to be one of those cars that doesn't hang out long enough at the dealership to..... Enough said. ;)

Regarding future meetings, they will most certainly be many meetings further--much further--North, YOU BET! The Pacific Coast Highway, as you mentioned, goes all the way up the coast from San Deigo to the Canadian border, and even hooks up to some very nice roads going into Canada, and specifically BC itself. I'm sure that come Spring and Summer 2006, Solstices will explore many more sections of that beautiful road. I myself am counting on it!

Monterey sure is an extra day of travel from Vancouver. Oregon is basically a two day trip from Southern California for the same reason (16 hours from LA to Salem, OR versus 8 hours Vancouver to Salem, just like Monterey's about 8 hours from LA, and 17 hours from Vancouver). I'm sure we'll be moving the meets around to share the load.

Part of making the club work is not getting stuck in a rut, and the best way to avoid that is to have meetings and events all over the place--and not just the Coast! ;) Heck, one of the respondents even mentioned that the Elise owners club was doing Vegas..... Where ever there is road is fair game. ;)

Again, great to hear from our Canadian friends. While Monterey's a bit far from BC for now, I hope to see you at future meets/events.

Drive on! :cool:

·
Registered
844 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
We will absolutely consider venues further North. I'm quite surprised to hear from someone north of Seattle. In a previous poll, the furthest North respondent was in Oregon, so it's good to see our reach even includes our Maple Leaf comrades. :D

Part of making the club work is not getting stuck in a rut, and the best way to avoid that is to have meetings and events all over the place--and not just the Coast! ;) Heck, one of the respondents even mentioned that the Elise owners club was doing Vegas..... Where ever there is road is fair game. ;)

Again, great to hear from our Canadian friends. While Monterey's a bit far from BC for now, I hope to see you at future meets/events.

Thanx for the info, I look forward to meeting up with fellow Solstii when I have mine on hand.

I agree about the statement above, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure some (maybe not all) of the Solstice club members would like to venture out farther than their own state, I'd love a drive down thru WA, OR, and CA, limited only by my checkbook and luggage space (but I can pack pretty light for a road trip).

Likewise many WA and OR Solstice owners might like to visit Vancouver, Whistler or Victoria BC in the summer (August is best imho). The sea to sky highway up to Whistler is a fun drive but a bit messy at the moment due to construction for the 2010 Olympics.....hopefully we all have our Solstices by then! *fingers crossed*

·
Registered
278 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:

There were several reasons for the scheduling:
  1. Of the folks who responded to a scheduling survey covering mid October through the first weekend in November, no one reported conflicts on the 5/6 weekend, while several others reported conflicts through most of October.
  2. If we delayed it into later November or early December, folks start feeling the pressure of the Holidays, and attendance would probably drop off sharply.
  3. We wanted to get the club founded this year, rather than waiting for early 2006 after the holidays and then wanting to wait for the first bright days of Spring.
  4. An earlier founding meeting doesn't preclude those who don't already have Solstices. Rather, it provides a chance to get closer too (and probably even get to ride in/drive one) than even at an Auto Show In Motion event.

Regarding future meetings, they will most certainly be many meetings further--much further--North, YOU BET! The Pacific Coast Highway, as you mentioned, goes all the way up the coast from San Deigo to the Canadian border, and even hooks up to some very nice roads going into Canada, and specifically BC itself. I'm sure that come Spring and Summer 2006, Solstices will explore many more sections of that beautiful road. I myself am counting on it!

thank you crimson for posting this.

he is right on the money in what i quoted above, i will add though that when i decided to throw this club idea out i intended it to become a national affair that grows across the nation and in to Canada. this meeting will be a founding type meeting, and we will address this. meeting locations will vary.

like CA said above we wanted to get this thing started early to give it a chance to be established before every one gets their car so it will be ready when everyone does. the intention of this meeting is to lay down the structures, by laws, hierarchy, and such that is required of such a club. although even if you only want to hang out and watch please come anyway, and tell us what you would expect out of a club, as a club is nothing with out its members.

to address the concerns of people who either are out of the reach of this meeting, or will not be able to attend, rest assured that future meetings will be held in other locations. Oregon sounds great, especially in the summer, also i like the Las Vegas idea!

we realize that you may not all have your solstice by the time this meeting occurs, truth be known either will I, in fact I'm bringing my celica. However, please don't let that discourage you, all are welcome to attend. that said if your roadster is present, please bring it.

there is a link for the yahoo email forum speciffic to this club. i will try to keep it updated as things develop. please join it so you dont miss anything.

·
Registered
278 Posts
psycho-squirrel said:
Thanx for the info, I look forward to meeting up with fellow Solstii when I have mine on hand.

I agree about the statement above, variety is the spice of life. I'm sure some (maybe not all) of the Solstice club members would like to venture out farther than their own state, I'd love a drive down thru WA, OR, and CA, limited only by my checkbook and luggage space (but I can pack pretty light for a road trip).

Likewise many WA and OR Solstice owners might like to visit Vancouver, Whistler or Victoria BC in the summer (August is best imho). The sea to sky highway up to Whistler is a fun drive but a bit messy at the moment due to construction for the 2010 Olympics.....hopefully we all have our Solstices by then! *fingers crossed*
oh, i would absolutely love to do a roadtrip down the route 66 through arizona, and into new mexico, and where ever else it leads us to! that has been a dream of mine sence i got my first car in 2001, and i wanted to do it in a convertible! now with a 'vert coming i will have to go ant if i am with a couple others, all the better!

·
Registered
1,248 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
66? Why, YES!

tednelson83 said:
oh, i would absolutely love to do a roadtrip down the route 66 through arizona, and into new mexico, and where ever else it leads us to! that has been a dream of mine sence i got my first car in 2001, and i wanted to do it in a convertible! now with a 'vert coming i will have to go ant if i am with a couple others, all the better!
Absolutely! It's a great trip, even in the dead of winter for the southern section (west of the midpoint). We did that trip over the Winter Solstice holidays in 2003. It was great fun, and easy to find lodging without reservations.

·
Registered
278 Posts
Crimson Avenger said:
Absolutely! It's a great trip, even in the dead of winter for the southern section (west of the midpoint). We did that trip over the Winter Solstice holidays in 2003. It was great fun, and easy to find lodging without reservations.
i have driven it from Kingman, AZ in to California near Barstow, and it was a much nicer drive than taking the 40 the whole way, and a sould go faster being that i was the only car on the road for miles. :devil:

·
Registered
278 Posts
so far it looks like Monterey saturday, and San Simeon saturday are winning with 8 votes each.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts