Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
2007 solstice gxp automatic
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just bought a 2007 solstice gxp yesterday and have noticed that driving in even relatively small corners the car starts fishtailing. I realize that this has probably been covered somewhere on here or elsewhere but I haven't been able to find anything. Is this a normal problem or might there be something else wrong I don't know about.

·
Premium Member
2009 Pontiac Solstice GXP Coupe 001136
460 Posts
The GXP is certainly capable of fishtailing if given enough throttle. But if you're not punching it, that sounds like a problem. I'm assuming you've confirmed the ESC/TCS is engaged -- that's the stability control and traction control systems. Button on the dash, light between the dials (if disengaged).

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Traction control is engaged. I don't particularly think that 60 or 70 is considered punching it in corners but I may be wrong with this car.

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Traction control is engaged. I don't particularly think that 60 or 70 is considered punching it in corners but I may be wrong with this car.
By 'punching' I meant rapidly accelerating (increasing rather than maintaining throttle). Putting the pedal down to pull out onto a road or flooring it to get to freeway speed on uneven ramp pavement are the only times my GXP breaks traction.

Tires good? Meaning, they have plenty of tread and are not 15 years old. (Some folks still have the original tires on their low-mileage cars, but I don't like old used rubber.)

Reactions: mister-ss

·
Premium Member
460 Posts
Old/worn-out shocks/struts?

Aside from the items above, mods (over-tuned, lowered/stiffened suspension, etc.) are the only other potential culprit I can think of...

Folks here speak highly of the DDM braces and backbone add-ons to improve handling. I don't have them and so cannot vouch for those as a cure for your issue. But worth a forum search to see if those might help you.

Good luck taming the beast!

·
Premium Member
1,223 Posts
I agree with MFA, "punching it" refers to rapidly accelerating, it doesn't mean going "X mph" through a turn. Fishtailing at the speeds you mentioned would be downright scary, given the short wheelbase of the car and how easy it is to lose control.

Tires can look new but be very old. Find the manufacturer date and make sure they aren't 10+ years old. Old tires become hard and don't provide very good grip.

These cars have a number of different braces available which can greatly aid in cornering performance. Check out DDM's tunnel brace, venom bar and pro-beam. Here is a link to the bundle: DDMWorks Brace Bundle for Solstice / Sky-DDM-18-6

For what it's worth my car doesn't fishtail unless I want it to. If your car is fishtailing when you don't want it to, then I'd suggest reflecting on your driving style and skills.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
The shocks may be starting to get old I honestly haven't ever had to deal with worn shocks so I'm not sure what to look for. I'll take a look into the braces as well. Front tires are 10 years old rear are about a year old.

·
Registered
7,745 Posts
Tires have plenty of tread left, they look almost new.
They may look new, but how old are they actually? Older tires harden and provide far less grip (plus the OEM tires were pretty awful anyway). I would check the tire age stamps first, then look into suspension problems/upgrades second.

·
Administrator
10,980 Posts
The shocks may be starting to get old I honestly haven't ever had to deal with worn shocks so I'm not sure what to look for. I'll take a look into the braces as well. Front tires are 10 years old rear are about a year old.
"Fishtailing" is not normal. The Solstice is actually very stable when cornering. What have you been driving?

Your front tires should be replaced.

What tires do you have on the car? Are they the stock 245/45-18? What pressure are they inflated to? Have you checked that the lug nuts are tight? How many miles are on the car? You may need an alignment if everything else is right.

·
Registered
2006 red 2.4 5sp, very low km
13 Posts
My 2006 MT, na I purchased this spring with 30k on it, had tires that looked like 75% new. I bought it from estate so the person didn't know much about the car except an old guy owned it. I couldn't squeeze under to check tire code, but they felt more like plastic than rubber. I scheduled replacement and found out they were the factory originals from november, 2005. I found out after, the owner would take the car down to pheonix, from canada, but he would trailer it there and back. The na, not being a gxp doesn't pop like the gxp, but it was squirrely with those tires. New rubber solved it. NA plenty of power for this old guy, love the car. My next red convertible will most likely be one of those scooter things, but at 65 YO, I am hoping to own the Solstice for at least another 15 years, as my summer driver.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,371 Posts
Sounds like my best first step is replacing the front tires and getting the alignment checked. I'll see how that helps
As has been mentioned here, if the reason for replacing your tires is because of performance issues related to tire rubber aging, and if all four tires are the same age you should seriously consider replacing them all.
That being said I have not read a post where you determined the age or model of these tires yet?
If ascertaining that information is not in your wheelhouse (so to speak), you should be able to go to any tire shop and ask them to find, identify and show you that information on the actual tire.

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,371 Posts
Ahh. Sorry I missed that. What kinda tires are they?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts