Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I finally got to sit in one (pre-production version at state fair)!

I am 6'4" 275 lb, 52" jacket size, 40" waist (yes this is disturbing to me...I don't know how it happened ;) ) with a 34" inseam and size 12 feet.

With the seat all the way back I had 2 to 3 inches clearence between my knees and the dash. The most restrictive aspect is the stearing column. It is rather bulky limiting the space for the knees in a side to side direction.
The dead pedal feels nice. The clutch, brake, and throttle pedal are close together but you don't have to move them much at all so it was no problem for my size feet. I can't extend my legs straight out.
Shoulder room is not too bad but there is no excess either.
The seats feel wonderful. I have no fear of sliding around during spirited driving for two reasons...first, the seats are well bolstered and supportive, second, there is no extra space for me to slide into.

To sum it up for us larger fellas, the car feels like you are in a nice comfortable glove, no extra room, but it feels good. :cool:

·
Registered
36 Posts
You have no idea how happy I am to ready that! :yesnod:

Your body description is almost exactly like me, except i wear a 54/56 jacket. I was really worried about being able to fit into the Sol, but you have put those ill feelings to rest.

Thanks

·
Registered
284 Posts
I sat in that one as well friday evening. I was absolutely in heaven. First time I had seen one up close besides the concept version last year. I'm 6', 32/34 pant and about 50 chest w/42 sleeve and I fit wonderfully. Sight out of the front was great, not hindered at all by the top of the windshield. Even with the top up visibility was good. The side mirrors are positioned well and are a good size to give visibility, especially using the technique of placing your head against the driver's window and positioning the mirror so you just can't see the rear of the car and then leaning over so you're head is in the middle of the car and positioning the passenger mirror so you just can't see the rear. You really don't need to look out the back at all when changing lanes with this technique. The shifter is exactly as people have described it, just sit your arm on the center console and your hand falls directly onto the shifter. Shifts feel nice and short and clutch has good pressure to it. Door is also a good height for resting the left arm while sitting. Cockpit is very driver oriented and everything positioned very well. I don't have anything bad to say really about the car. I'm just that much more jealous of the people who already have theirs and that much more like a 5 year old on Christmas morning laying in bed for 4 hours waiting on my parents to get ready for me to open my presents!!! :willy: :willy:

I was sitting in it and people came up and were discussing it amongst themselves saying, "that must be about a $35k car" etc. I looked up at them and started geeking out about the price, statistics, options, etc. They were all amazed that the car maxes out at $25k.

G

·
"If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit" :lol:

Sorry, I had to!

Glad to hear that it fits you well. I of course won't have that problem, what with being a member of the Puny brigade. :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,210 Posts
BadAzSolstice said:
"If the glove doesn't fit, you must acquit" :lol:
:glol: wasn't it the other way around, if the glove fits you must acquit? It was a long time ago and my memory is fading fast.

·
4,592 Posts
mceb said:
:glol: wasn't it the other way around, if the glove fits you must acquit? It was a long time ago and my memory is fading fast.
Nope, he had it correct, if the glove had fit, it meant the glove could have belonged to him, thus making him a suspect, if not, he couldn't be....But then there was issues of it shrinking etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc etc :willy:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
red61985 said:
You have no idea how happy I am to ready that! :yesnod:

Your body description is almost exactly like me, except i wear a 54/56 jacket. I was really worried about being able to fit into the Sol, but you have put those ill feelings to rest.

Thanks

My only lingering concern is how I will feel after driving it all day on a long trip. I have decided not to worry about it and even if I do get uncomfortable, I will never admit it to anyone :lol:

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I was amazed at how nicely the shifter lays in your hand. I could run it through the gears with only a flick of the wrist. The clutch throw felt similar in that I can push the pedal to the wall with a simple rotation of the toe about centerline defined by my heel.
Maybe this is old news to the rest of the world but It is amazing to me. All of my cars have either been trucks, older mustangs, or a really old T/A. All have long throws.

It also felt that the windshield frame was plenty high for front visiblity. My wife felt that she couldn't see out the front because the front fenders were too tall. I told her she probably shouldn't drive it in that case. (Ha)

I love the sense that the fenders are climbing. That must be what the old british roadsters look like out the front.

·
Registered
180 Posts
Loong time ago I remeber have a 36" waist then 40" we will not talk what it is now :cryin:
But it is nice to see you fit in.
I have talk to people with S2000 and they find them to small. To small for me also.
Z4 is also a nice size, have no problems fittting in

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Where is Richard Simmons when we need him. ;)

But seriously, if we are going to throw off the paunchy middle-aged male driver image we need a "Solstice Diet/Exercise Plan". Maybe something like "Sweating for my Solstice"; subtitle "I bought a two-seater so I'm working off my extra one" :lol:

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
Fortyninenorth said:
Maybe something like "Sweating for my Solstice"; subtitle "I bought a two-seater so I'm working off my extra one" :lol:
That's good. Perhaps the sub-subtitle could be, "Since my car has no spare tire , I lost mine too!" :glol:

--Chemist (which I actually did about 2 years ago :) )

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Chemist said:
That's good. Perhaps the sub-subtitle could be, "Since my car has no spare tire , I lost mine too!" :glol:

--Chemist (which I actually did about 2 years ago :) )
I sure hope we don't get any "skinny" trolls on this thread :brentil: :lol:

Maybe the car payment that I have not had for 7 years will have to come from my food budget :willy:

Hmmm...Solstice or sustenance, Solstice...sustenance, Solstice...Sus..

SOLSTICE :D

·
Registered
1,213 Posts
Or gas.. food? gas...food? either way we win er lose I mean

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Soul Stiz said:
Sounds like I will fit with room to spare at 6' and 200 pounds. Does that mean I can sit two extra people in the Sol? ;)

Little fellas like you will have no problem at all ;)

People that are below 5'6" may want a booster seat...seriously...I mean it :leaving:

It will be perfect for a six footer and you will probably be able to drop the steering wheel down also. I'll be keeping in it's highest position.

·
Registered
36 Posts
airbalancer said:
Loong time ago I remeber have a 36" waist then 40" we will not talk what it is now :cryin:
But it is nice to see you fit in.
I have talk to people with S2000 and they find them to small. To small for me also.
Z4 is also a nice size, have no problems fittting in

The Honda S2000 are really small. I sat in one at the autoshow and I could not even shut the door because my legs could not get far enough under the steering wheel.

Right now we have a 1980 fiat spyder that we can fit very comfortably in and it seems to similar in size to the solstice.

Anyway, I really hope i can fit in the solstice not just because I would hate to sell it, but also if someone asked why I was selling it i would be really embarassed to tell them my ass was too fat to fit!

·
Registered
462 Posts
Skidpad said:
People that are below 5'6" may want a booster seat...seriously...I mean it
I was wondering about this... Don't wanna cut into your thread though.
I'll start another one. ;)

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mcbman said:
I was wondering about this... Don't wanna cut into your thread though.
I'll start another one. ;)
MCEB, That thing about the booster seat was just me fooling around. I don't think it will be an issue for anyone but the true extremes.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts