Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It suddenly dawned on me we haven't had a flame war or troll infestation in what seems like a full year or more. I think that is great. We should celebrate. :cheers:

The moderators here do a wonderful job. Y'all are underpaid.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree 100%. I vote for doubling their pay.

·
Administrator
9,206 Posts
Thanks Jimbo but its more the membership here that moderates itself - Thanks to all of you who help keep things 'on the straight and narrow'.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I like trolls and haters.

Difference in opinion makes for interesting discussion.

If you want to call them flame wars.....???

I had a thread or two locked here. It was apparent to me that the moderators were jumping the gun without reading the subject matter. At that point, I was put off.

It's seems to me that some great posters have moved on. I believe it's because the moderators have been slightly too aggressive in some cases and subject matters. I respect the line drawn, but suggest that things will dry up around here.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts

I had a thread or two locked here. It was apparent to me that the moderators were jumping the gun without reading the subject matter. At that point, I was put off.

It's seems to me that some great posters have moved on. I believe it's because the moderators have been slightly too aggressive in some cases and subject matters. I respect the line drawn, but suggest that things will dry up around here.
Agreed, I love this site but it seems like it is a bit too heavly moderated.

·
Registered
4,789 Posts
Honestly, I think the site is moderated very well. Being a moderator on another forum myself, I can tell you that it is very hard and time consuming to patrol everything that's written and posted. They do a fantastic job here and there is a reason we have not had issues here in a long time! Kudos!!

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)

I like dissent, but not baiters and jerks. We can debate a valid topic until the cows come home. There is a difference between a spirited discussion on oil or tires, and someone who comes here and says the Solstice is ugly and then starts baiting people, they give him the attention he seecks and helps him in his quest to disrupt the normal activity of the board. He does this in thread after thread until he is banned.

Sorry, I don't miss those days.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Agreed, I love this site but it seems like it is a bit too heavly moderated.
On the Miata forum, if you want to talk about say car movies, that may not be "car talk" enough for the mods and they close the thread. If you want a jacket that says "Miata" on it, that may not be "car talk" enough for the thread.

Go slightly off topic and not come back on, and they close the thread. Sometimes they just close a thread out of the blue and say "it's been beat enough."

If you want to see really frequent, intrusive, sincerely lheavily moderated forum, try over there.

I call the moderating here "adequate". Not intrusive or heavy at all. At one time, they were feeling the need to correct everybody's titles to be really precise, and I felt that was going a bit too far. Some need it but not most.

But that is the only brief time I felt the moderating was a bit heavy.

Back on topic, I don't miss the flame wars or trolls at all. I think with the death of Pontiac and the Solsice, the zealous haters don't feel threatened anymore so they don't have their fragile egos hurt anymore.

I am loving the calm on the board. The board will grow. We'll see more and varied activity when the cars become heavily traded on the used car market in a few years.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The worst moderating are the boards that are a chaotic free for all with almost no moderating. Every other word is profane and everyone is arguing and insulting each other. I think those boards attract abrasive people who like to go at it with others. No thanks. That is the worst atmosphere for a website.

·
Premium Member
795 Posts
On the Miata forum, if you want to talk about say car movies, that may not be "car talk" enough for the mods and they close the thread. If you want a jacket that says "Miata" on it, that may not be "car talk" enough for the thread.

Go slightly off topic and not come back on, and they close the thread. Sometimes they just close a thread out of the blue and say "it's been beat enough."

If you want to see really frequent, intrusive, sincerely lheavily moderated forum, try over there.

I call the moderating here "adequate". Not intrusive or heavy at all. At one time, they were feeling the need to correct everybody's titles to be really precise, and I felt that was going a bit too far. Some need it but not most.

But that is the only brief time I felt the moderating was a bit heavy.

Back on topic, I don't miss the flame wars or trolls at all. I think with the death of Pontiac and the Solsice, the zealous haters don't feel threatened anymore so they don't have their fragile egos hurt anymore.

I am loving the calm on the board. The board will grow. We'll see more and varied activity when the cars become heavily traded on the used car market in a few years.
Believe me I see your point, I am on a southwest racing website where the mod team does nothing but join in the bashing and it starts with 1 guy saying ONE thing and BOOM 15 pages of insulting the others car (mine has been called gay SOOOO many times by guys driving Miata's and other LAME cars for example). BUT I had an avatar that got someone's panties in a bunch and it was removed, that kind of bugs me because I pay to be on here and I should be able to do so.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
I just do not understand why are you posting this thread here?.
This is a members special section for special items that are made for the forum.
Should this not be posted on the General discussion thread?.

·
5,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I just do not understand why are you posting this thread here?.
This is a members special section for special items that are made for the forum.
Should this not be posted on the General discussion thread?.
LV, call me paranoid, but I did not want to give anybody ideas. I came here because I knew the moderators would see it here and because I wanted to remind them that it has been a nice peaceful year. If I put this on the general forum, it could almost be like I put down a gauntlet. Even if it was only in jest, I just didn't want anybody to get the bright idea.

This forum is really about improving the Solstice Forum or kicking around ideas, critiques, mild criticisms, praise, etc. I thought it was the right place to simply note for the mods and a select few how nice and peaceful the last year has been.

I hate troll/flame wars. I don't find that disruption fun at all.

·
Premium Member
10,332 Posts
Very true, however a lot of those wars could have been avoided, if the membership would not feed the troll.

·
Registered
185 Posts
I think it helps discourage flaming to have a forum where people come for help.... If I remember someone asking for help or advice was dropping f-bombs and throwing insults, I'm just not gonna respond to their post.

What I'm saying is that I would be insulting you all if you weren't so annoyingly helpful. ;)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts