Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
410 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It seems almost as if though everyone in my area drives like crap. So with that said, I'm heavily considering installing a third brake light flashing module. My only concern is if it is legal or not, don't want to go through the trouble of installing it only to get pulled over for having it.

I'm in Miami btw.. I tried looking up info on this but couldn't seem to find anything. Maybe I suck at searching *sigh*

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
They were first invented for motorcycles. Then made their way to cars. I have run them on bikes for years. Check your local laws, but they have been legal everywhere we have traveled.

·
Registered
728 Posts
It seems almost as if though everyone in my area drives like crap. So with that said, I'm heavily considering installing a third brake light flashing module. My only concern is if it is legal or not, don't want to go through the trouble of installing it only to get pulled over for having it.

I'm in Miami btw.. I tried looking up info on this but couldn't seem to find anything. Maybe I suck at searching *sigh*
I absolutely agree with the first statement. Every time I drive into Dade county it's like going to a foreign country. I hate it let me tell ya, the drivers down there drive like they do in their country, lousy and very much not courteous what so ever..I have never seen so many bad drivers in one spot, and everyone is always in a hurry..unreal..

Now as for the blinking light I see it down here all the time on many different cars, so I will assume it is legal.. After all, it usually just blinks 3 times then its solid so I don't see why not..:thumbs: The blinking is to get the idiot that is driving behind you attentions..

·
Premium Member
233 Posts
See them on late model production cars

I didn't even know what they were until reading a forum post several days ago. Driving home from VT to CT after the holiday weekend I noticed several late model production cars had them, they would pulse 3 times then go to normal brake light mode.

These cars were mostly family SUV's and similar, so I'm guessing these guys aren't customizing their car like the forum members.

Does anyone have a recommendation on parts to make the conversion?

·
Registered
7,103 Posts
They are THE most ANNOYING CRAP ever made and whenever I am behind one, I look for a chance to get as far away from them as possible! :lol: :glol: :rofl:

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Smartin: that's good it means it is working. Anything to alert those behind is good. I think it should be standard equipment.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
Can be purchased from Webelectricproducts.com. They just plug in no wire cutting

·
Premium Member
1,990 Posts
Smartin: that's good it means it is working. Anything to alert those behind is good. I think it should be standard equipment.
Actually, no. It's not good.

I won't drive behind someone who has one, and if I see one in front of me I immediately pass. The problem is that while it does grab attention, that attention is focused on thoughts other than what the driver behind needs to immediately know. I've found that my brain (and others I've discussed this with at meets have said the same) focuses on the flashing and being annoyed for a couple of seconds before it gets around to realizing that the car in front of me is slowing or stopping. If I'm behind one too long, then I find myself trying to avoid looking at the light altogether which definitely is not good. If that's how I react and I know what is happening and why, WTF is the soccer mom in the minivan with the screaming kids going to do?

The only message I want to project to someone behind me is that I am on the brake. If they aren't paying attention, I don't see much benefit to catching their eye with an unclear message, and if they are paying attention, I certainly don't want to distract them.

As for not getting rear ended, I take a much more conventional and active approach- I keep an eye on who is behind me and what they're doing, and I almost always have plenty of space in front of me and an exit strategy.

·
Premium Member
3,263 Posts
Actually, no. It's not good.

I won't drive behind someone who has one, and if I see one in front of me I immediately pass. The problem is that while it does grab attention, that attention is focused on thoughts other than what the driver behind needs to immediately know. I've found that my brain (and others I've discussed this with at meets have said the same) focuses on the flashing and being annoyed for a couple of seconds before it gets around to realizing that the car in front of me is slowing or stopping. If I'm behind one too long, then I find myself trying to avoid looking at the light altogether which definitely is not good. If that's how I react and I know what is happening and why, WTF is the soccer mom in the minivan with the screaming kids going to do?

The only message I want to project to someone behind me is that I am on the brake. If they aren't paying attention, I don't see much benefit to catching their eye with an unclear message, and if they are paying attention, I certainly don't want to distract them.

As for not getting rear ended, I take a much more convention and active approach- I keep an eye on who is behind me and what they're doing, and I almost always have plenty of space in front of me and an exit strategy.
Your Problem! Enjoy:thumbs:

·
Registered
612 Posts
I've had a flasher in my center light for about 4 years. After researching it, I printed out a copy of the CVC and stuck it in with my reg and ins paper just in case I did get stopped by one of California's gun happy cops. Out here they're legal so long as they are not a strobe type and they flash no more than 4 times in 4 seconds.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
I have used them on bikes for years. The vast majority of accidents bor motorcycles are idiots in cars not seeing them and running into us.

I have noticed since I brought my car home that many people do not see it. Well, did not see it. Anything we can do to increase visibility is good and brake flashers do save lives.

·
Registered
761 Posts
The U.S. allowed Mercedes to test a number of brake light options a few years ago, but AFAIK none were put into use because tests showed they had no measurable effect. So technically, only solid-on third brake lights are legal still. That being said, I do use one that blinks once. I've never heard of anyone getting a ticket for having one. Technically, the sequential turn signals are probably not permitted by U.S. regulations, but those too are commonly ignored by the light police. (I did get a warning ticked from a fastidious Omaha police officer for having a blue light on my WindRestrictor showing from the rear. I guess he thought I was impersonating a policeman.

I do sort of agree with reedred. I followed someone on a run in Texas who had a blinking one with a message and it felt like it blinked constantly. My mind wanted to read the message with every flash. There is now a version available that will not flash if the brakes are applied within a set number of seconds after being released.

·
Premium Member
701 Posts
I considered adding a flash module, but don't have strong feelings either way, so I just left it stock. However, I did change the stock SKY (white when not lit) center light to a Solstice (red) one to blend in better with the red paint.

·
Registered
4,978 Posts
(I did get a warning ticked from a fastidious Omaha police officer for having a blue light on my WindRestrictor showing from the rear. I guess he thought I was impersonating a policeman.
I know that in Michigan blue lights are reserved for emergency vehicles only. And I know a few people that have received tickets for having a blue light illuminated on their vehicle.

I was nervous about the purple LED's on my WR when we bought it. So far no problems, however.

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
I went with the Roadster Club's "KITT" style third light. Just a noticable back and forth that seem to get only compliments, so far. Had it for several years, but I'm not sure they're still available. I have my Windrestrictor set for going OFF when I use the brakes. The sudden change in the amount of light is, I'm thinking, creating a "What was THAT?" in the minds of those behind...especially Ford F150 drivers?!? I seem to have the most problem with those vehicles riding up close.

·
Premium Member
1,982 Posts
If it continually blinked I probably would not like it. The units I have on both my Solstices blinks three times at first and then acts normal for the next 15 seconds. So if it traffic not continually blinking. As I said before I really like mine. Guess there are different manufacturers. Guess it's one of those if you like it do it and if not then don't. I've had it on wicked for over five years and never had a complaint.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I never bothered, use the money for gas instead..:D

·
Registered
333 Posts
When watching some stupid idiot who's texting or E-mailing from their stupid GD phone from my rear view mirror perspective, who see my flashing brake light and jam on the brakes, that flashing light earned it's place in my car yet again. I could care less if some jackass is annoyed by my flashing lights. Operating their motor vehicle is third or forth in priority to selecting a song or texting their friend. My priority is being safe.

·
Registered
761 Posts
It would be nice to have one with selective messages like "Get off the phone!, "No texting!". "Back off!" or even "Nice ride!". But then I'd probably rear end somebody while finding the right phrase or become the victim of road rage.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts