Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
I dont even think a DDM short throw shifter will get you there. My aftermarket head unit is flush to the din hole (as is standard) and i went from occasionally bumping it with the stock shifter to "almost" never bumping it with the short shifter. It is really tight up there.

·
Registered
06 solstice sliver.wicked coupe,dirtbike,4wheeler
2,285 Posts
on my 006 manual car I've turned off the radio a time or 2 shifting. my other 2 solstices are automatic's. good call on mr gadget, wouldn't that piss you off to install it all perfect then smash it the first drive.... 💩 💩 💩

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have the 10in version of that Boss in my minivan/doghauler. It’s really good for the price, but I’d never consider putting it in my solstice. There’s just not enough room. I just ordered and received a Sony XAV-AX5600 for my sol that I’ll be dropping in tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
Stupid question, does the screen absolutely have to be attached to the headunit? Or is it connected by a cable so you could maybe mount it somewhere else on the dash.

·
Registered
32 Posts
The neck is attached to the screen and it plugs into the unit. You can see the female end on the unit in Element’s first post. I’m sure someone more electronically/DIY inclined could figure out the pins and wire something up, but out of the box it has the be mounted.

·
Registered
2007 GXP 5 Speed GMPP tune
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Here’s a picture of mine. There’s a little bit of a curve to the dash but not enough to make much of a difference to the measurement.
View attachment 122807
Thanks! You would think they would have these specs in the manual. I purchased the 9 inch, I'll mount it top din with the bottom din being a storage spot. I noticed the screen can go up and down. I'm thinking it might be high enough to not interrupt shifting, while not blocking the air vents (the 9 is a inch less in height then your 10. I'll post results. Worst case I'll return it and get a normal double din 6.8 inch.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
on my 006 manual car I've turned off the radio a time or 2 shifting. my other 2 solstices are automatic's. good call on mr gadget, wouldn't that piss you off to install it all perfect then smash it the first drive.... 💩 💩 💩
You must shift hard LOL My shifter in 3rd still has plenty of space before the dash (2inches). Perhaps a prior owner installed a short shifter?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
It worked! Plenty of room for my fingers. The unit can go up and down. It's nice to have a little more storage under the headunit. The android auto and car play is amazing. Even visible in direct sunlight.

Only issue was the reverse light. I heard it's lime green wire. I pulled the plug (brown, blue,lime green, and another color) at the passenger reverse light and 2 of the 4 pins were always hot when ignition is on. Not sure why. Reverse lights only come on when in reverse but it was triggering my camera all the time. Thoughts?

Hardest part of the install is babying the 15 year old clips and plastic.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
It worked! Plenty of room for my fingers. The unit can go up and down. It's nice to have a little more storage under the headunit. The android auto and car play is amazing. Even visible in direct sunlight.

Only issue was the reverse light. I heard it's lime green wire. I pulled the plug (brown, blue,lime green, and another color) at the passenger reverse light and 2 of the 4 pins were always hot when ignition is on. Not sure why. Reverse lights only come on when in reverse but it was triggering my camera all the time. Thoughts?

Hardest part of the install is babying the 15 year old clips and plastic.
NICE, but you have 'skinny' knuckles...

Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
NICE, but you have 'skinny' knuckles...

Bill
Good to know haha, ring size is 10 1/2. I have about 1.5 inches from the bottom of the screen to the top of the shift knob in 3rd (closest). I'm sure I'd hit it if I was shifting aggressively but I baby the car. It's just a cruiser for me. Really nice to have Google Maps and voice commands again!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts