Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP - Mysterious (with unkown origin blue sparkle in rear bumper cover paint)
3,816 Posts
Part of me loves this (nice work sir!) and part of me is afraid of the reflectivity and knuckle busting opportunities…
Hmmm. You have given me much to ponder sir!
Please post more about it as you get some driving time with it in place.
Thanks for sharing.

·
Registered
7,825 Posts
Only issue was the reverse light. I heard it's lime green wire. I pulled the plug (brown, blue,lime green, and another color) at the passenger reverse light and 2 of the 4 pins were always hot when ignition is on. Not sure why. Reverse lights only come on when in reverse but it was triggering my camera all the time. Thoughts?
Access to that wire (for the radio) is available in the passenger footwell. See: (17) Backup Camera In Rear View Mirror Install | Page 7 | Saturn Sky Forum (skyroadster.com)

·
Registered
2007 GXP 5 Speed GMPP tune
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Part of me loves this (nice work sir!) and part of me is afraid of the reflectivity and knuckle busting opportunities…
Hmmm. You have given me much to ponder sir!
Please post more about it as you get some driving time with it in place.
Thanks for sharing.
Surprisingly it's bright and I can see it much easier then the factory deck in sun. Reflection isn't bad at all. I have "tapped" my knuckles in aggressive shifting into 5th. Outside of that it clears easily. Definitely worth the trade off for full screen Google Maps, Pandora, Google assist etc options. Definitely makes the interior seem more modern. The outside of the car is timeless but that old dot matrix radio dated the car to the 90s.

·
Registered
2008 Pontiac Solstice GXP
6,377 Posts
Ya know. you can remove the radio in it's entirety if you have the monsoon system and you can use a tablet in it's place. You do not have to buy a purpose built "radio"

What is a radio? Technically speaking the portion that is a radio would be the FM/AM reception part of it. CDs, nope don't use em.. FM/AM.. nope don't use it.. XM Radio.. Only when I can get a deal other wise no.

What I do is I plug my phone into the aux jack and play Pandora or IHeart radio or some other streaming audio service..

20 bucks is the price for the part needed if you want to use anything with bluetooth as the "radio".. wire in a USB jack and run the charging cable out some crack in the dashboard where ou want to mount the tablet and you are DONE!! I believe the amplifier turn on is 5 volts and would you look at that you just wired in a USB charger and USB is 5 volts. connect the charger to the accessory so it turns on and off with the key.

There are all kinds of applications for android that will sleep and wake the tablet using motion seen in the camera. no motion for 3 minutes and the tablet goes to sleep. battery dies in the tablet.. who cares it is powered by the car and it will turn back on when you turn the key on. It will just take a little bit longer to turn on because it has to boot up instead of waking up.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts