Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello - brand new Solstice owner (had it for 3 days). 2006 1-owner with 55,000 miles. Taking it for Maryland Inspection tomorrow (wish me luck).

The first thing I am going to do is change oil and filter and drain and replace coolant, both due to age rather than mileage I'm not a big believer in flushes, so only draining and refilling the coolant.

My question is about the other fluids (again, due to age). For transmission fluid and brake fluid, any thoughts about which I should replace first? I assume that like most cars I should just not touch the power steering fluid?

Any thoughts / advice / guidance is appreciated.

Thanks.

·
Super Moderator
7,636 Posts
Welcome to the forum, and the Kappa family.

The brake fluid is the only other fluid that i would change unless you are having a problem. Others may disagree.

Replacing the coolant can be a challenge, as the system likes to trap air.
There are procedures detailed here and on YouTube, and a vacuum system is usually recommended.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts
if you are going to drive in cold weather ( like me ), change the power steering fluid to the cold weather stuff. ( There are old threads on the forum about this. Post 8 of this thread -> Extremely Cold Weather Start-Up Noise ) When the temperature got to around 10 degrees F, my car would make a wicked noise on startup. The cold weather power steering fluid got rid of that noise in cold weather.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank you both for your replies and your advice. I can't wait to get it inspected and registered and start driving it.

·
Premium Member
3,949 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Changing the coolant may be critical on older cars has it degrades chemically and can accentuate the wear on your water pump and other components. It can be tricky to change the fluid but any competent mechanic can do it

1 - 8 of 8 Posts