Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got a new foglight switch from ebay and it won't fit my sol. It seems there were two different switches manufactured. One (like mine) has a small indicator light in the switch and one does not. Thats not a big deal but they are NOT interchangeable because the wiring harness plug for one switch will not fit the other. Although the switches look exactly alike, the female socket in the switches are mirror images of each other. If your switch has the indicator light, be sure the new switch also has the indicator light or the plug won't fit properly.

Also found that if you have a fog lamp switch that sometimes doesn't work, you can remove the instrument cluster bezel, squirt some electrical parts cleaner in the guts of the switch from the backside without removing it from the panel, and it will heal itself!

·
Premium Member
17,541 Posts
Welcome
Thanks for the good information. I have looked at those replacement switches several times but have not yet pulled the trigger.

What year is your car?

·
Premium Member
4,262 Posts
Just wondering is the switch OEM or a Chinese knock off ? A lot of the stuff they are selling on Ebay are listed as replacement parts but as many people are finding out all they are is cheap Chinese crap that does not fit or work .Your best bet is to buy from someone like GM Parts Direct or Nalley GMC they may cost a little more but they fit ,work and will last a whole lot longer. Welcome to the forum and enjoy the ride!

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Im guessing they are from either Source1 or FactoryOEM, in which case they are leftover factory parts. Genuine GM.

·
Premium Member
2,318 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yep, it was an OEM part. Probably leftovers from a design change or whatever. Fortunately, a little squirt of electrical parts cleaner in the old switch and its as good as new.

·
Registered
7,513 Posts
Source1 & FactoryOEM bought up the remaining parts from the factory closure.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts