Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello again. Well my fog lights are not working. Replaced the switch. Fuse and relay. And yet the problem remains.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
Did anything else happen at the time they quit working?
When you operate the switch, can you hear the relay clicking?
Have you checked that the black wires from the switch and the lights are providing good grounds?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
When I purchased my solstice the Fog lights were not working. I don’t here the relay at all. Would it be loud enough to hear? When I changed out the switch the wiring seemed ok. I have not checked the grounds on the lights. Where will I find them. I’ve owned it two months .

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
I can hear mine. I turned the ignition to on in my garage (ie: no sunlight) without starting the engine which turns the headlights on. When I push the fog light button I hear a click and the fog lights turn on and when I push it again I hear another click and they go off.

It is possible to plug the relay in backwards, in which case it will not work. In my car the four relays (Fog, Horn, Lo Beam, Hi Beam) are all oriented the same way, with "Omron" upright when viewed from the passenger side of the car.

If the relay isn't working the ground isn't a concern.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I’ll check this tomorrow morning and hopefully I’ll have an answer . I’ll let you know. Thnx

·
Super Moderator
16,275 Posts
Did you check the bulbs?

I have had "new" light bulbs fail early and I KNEW they were good so spent a lot of diagnostic time only to find the bulbs were burned out.

·
Registered
5,310 Posts
I'd check the bulbs with a meter or a known "hot" socket. I know what you're saying, the filaments "look" good but sometimes they have a break where you can't see.

I dropped the money to replace the switch in a Maglight flashlight a couple of summers ago only to find out that the bulb that looked good really wasn't.

(It seems highly unlikely that both would go bad at the same time, however.)

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
I'd check the bulbs with a meter or a known "hot" socket. I know what you're saying, the filaments "look" good but sometimes they have a break where you can't see.

I dropped the money to replace the switch in a Maglight flashlight a couple of summers ago only to find out that the bulb that looked good really wasn't.

(It seems highly unlikely that both would go bad at the same time, however.)
Good points. I'm feeling a bit foolish now for not thinking about the bulbs from the beginning.

They may have not both gone bad at the same time however, since we do not know the history of the problem (Post #3):

When I purchased my solstice the Fog lights were not working. ........ I’ve owned it two months .

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Good points. I'm feeling a bit foolish now for not thinking about the bulbs from the beginning.

They may have not both gone bad at the same time however, since we do not know the history of the problem (Post #3):
Thanks, I looked at the bulbs and they looked good. Also I did not hear the relay click, but then I was not in a quiet garage. The switch itself has that tiny light that indicates it is on correct? Well it does not seem to be on.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks, I looked at the bulbs and they looked good. Also I did not hear the relay click, but then I was not in a quiet garage. The switch itself has that tiny light that indicates it is on correct? Well it does not seem to be on.
I tried the positioning in the relay, both ways. Nothing

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
I think it is important to determine whether the relay is working, since that focuses the problem into one of two distinct areas.
The light in the switch is tied to the instrument lights. It does not indicate that the fog lights are on. If it does not light up when it is dark and the instruments and other switches light up it could indicate a bad switch ground, which would keep the switch from getting a signal to the BCM to turn on the relay. The signal circuit works by grounding the input when the switch is operated.

I tried the positioning in the relay, both ways. Nothing
It was worth checking, at least.

Now since I replaced the switch yesterday would it be wise to order the new bulbs? Hot socket??
I would not order bulbs until I knew that the relay was operating.
A hot socket is one that mates with the bulb and that you know has power.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I picked up 2 relays on EBay. Siemens 12135170. The original a Tyco says on it, 85 -87. 86 .30. The Siemens 86-87 .85 .30. I’m naive does this difference matter.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A friend and I will do a diagnostic tomorrow to see what we come up with. I’ll keep you posted on what we find.

·
Registered
6,848 Posts
Fog lights are probably the option that the most people would ant but the least would never use unless they happen to live in a foggy area. I have them on a couple of British cars and finally removed them and put them on a shelf when I hadn't needed them in 30 years. Cleaned up the appearance of the front end.

Not an option on a Kappa, though, and if they are there, many owners will want them to operate just on principal.

This one sounds like switch or relay so hopefully it won't be too frustrating to track down.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Fog lights are probably the option that the most people would ant but the least would never use unless they happen to live in a foggy area. I have them on a couple of British cars and finally removed them and put them on a shelf when I hadn't needed them in 30 years. Cleaned up the appearance of the front end.

Not an option on a Kappa, though, and if they are there, many owners will want them to operate just on principal.

This one sounds like switch or relay so hopefully it won't be too frustrating to track down.
Yes Half Moon Bay is fogged in almost
Always. Well needed in this case.

·
Super Moderator
7,175 Posts
I picked up 2 relays on EBay. Siemens 12135170. The original a Tyco says on it, 85 -87. 86 .30. The Siemens 86-87 .85 .30. I’m naive does this difference matter.
Those numbers are the terminal identifiers. 85 and 86 are the coil pins that actuate the relay, 30 and 87 are the contact pins that are the output from the relay. The coil pins are diagonal to each other and the contact pins are on the other diagonal, so the relay is supposed to be reversible. I have seen on rare occasions relays in DC circuits that only worked in one direction, hence the suggestion to reverse the relay in the socket.

It probably doesn't matter, as any 12135170 relay should be interchangeable. Where are those numbers? Usually they will be molded into the bottom of the case, next to their respective pins. Pictures may be useful.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Those numbers are the terminal identifiers. 85 and 86 are the coil pins that actuate the relay, 30 and 87 are the contact pins that are the output from the relay. The coil pins are diagonal to each other and the contact pins are on the other diagonal, so the relay is supposed to be reversible. I have seen on rare occasions relays in DC circuits that only worked in one direction, hence the suggestion to reverse the relay in the socket.

It probably doesn't matter, as any 12135170 relay should be interchangeable. Where are those numbers? Usually they will be molded into the bottom of the case, next to their respective pins. Pictures may be useful.
Yes I checked the bottom as you stated. Also there on the side.

·
Registered
6,997 Posts
It is possible to plug the relay in backwards, in which case it will not work. In my car the four relays (Fog, Horn, Lo Beam, Hi Beam) are all oriented the same way, with "Omron" upright when viewed from the passenger side of the car.
The coil pins are diagonal to each other and the contact pins are on the other diagonal, so the relay is supposed to be reversible. I have seen on rare occasions relays in DC circuits that only worked in one direction, hence the suggestion to reverse the relay in the socket.
Yes, the relays are diagonally symmetrical and can be plugged in either way without issue. It's true that some DC-energized relays have diode snubber and protections built in, such that the coil voltage must be applied in a certain way. But those types are not diagonally symmetrical.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts