Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

61 - 80 of 118 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Is everyone using the adhesive backing that just stick on to mount the LEDs in place ~ or ~ is there a better method for mounting the LEDs?

Related question... Has anyone had trouble with the adhesive weakening and the led bars drop down after awhile?
I used the LED strips described here. Installed in October, with the drivers side only stuck on with 1 of the 3 adhesive spots. They are still in place, no trouble at all.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Has anyone here replaced the white bulbs in map lights with colored LED lights? If so, if so what did you get (model number please) and where did you get it from? I am looking for something in red to match the instrumentation amd I want them to be bright.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Ok - After doing alot of looking on line and what is posted on this thread I have narrowed it down to three options here for the LED footwell lighting and now I am looking for some advice from someone who has done the mod.

I am looking at one or a combo of the following:

1 - 2 OPTX 9" bars shown at the beginning of this thread in RED

2 - 2 Oznium 9.5" flexable strips in RED

http://www.oznium.com/product_photos/large/1716.jpg

3 - Multiple Oznium Mini Modules (Straight or Oval) in RED

http://www.oznium.com/product_photos/large/2703.jpg

I want something that is going to be very bright.

I am looking for input and advice from soneone who has done the mod. I am asking because I am not sure if it was easy to mount a straight bar like the OPTX, if a flexible bar might make it easier, or if 3 mini modules mounted in the left and right footwells might be the best way to go kind of like the white square modules AztekzRpurty used here vs the straight bar.

Key is what would work best and be the brightest.

Thanks!!!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
Nice Mod. You guys are so creative.

I'm considering doing some footwell lighting but I'll probably go a different route with the power source.
I like the way they have done it here so that the LEDs come on with the opening and closing of the door.

Just out of curiosity... what power source would you tap into and why?

Thanks

·
Registered
556 Posts
Installed our flexible blue LED's strips in the footwells last night. Pretty easy. We like it!

I had already replaced the map lights with cool white LED's last week.

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
JR DALLAS -

Where did you get your flexible LEDS from and which LED BULBS did you install in the maplights? Manufacturer name, LED count, size, and model numbers would be much appreciated!!!! Any pictures of your project? How did you wire it? Did you add a inline fuse?

·
Vendor
1,511 Posts
If I'm not mistaken that same wiring runs under the carpet retainers down by the door sills. May be less effort since it's a footwell mod. It was just a thought and I've not put much into it yet at all. We've installed our product lighting into these harness that pass under the sills from front to rear in the past and it was very simple to hide wiring and keep it clean.

p.s. i may be way off in left field with this one, as i have not read and examined every post here but i was just thinking that the wire that brings on the lighting when the door is open may be under the sills and may save time...

·
Registered
233 Posts
For my footwells that turn on when the door opens I taped directly from the fuse box. There is a post either here or another very similar post that tells you which wire. The one for my overhead LED strip is connected in the mirror harness.

·
Registered
556 Posts
JR DALLAS -

Where did you get your flexible LEDS from and which LED BULBS did you install in the maplights? Manufacturer name, LED count, size, and model numbers would be much appreciated!!!! Any pictures of your project? How did you wire it? Did you add a inline fuse?
I followed Aztek's recommendations in this thread, page 2, post 22.

Got the map light bulbs here, the WLED-x5 near the bottom, Super Bright LEDs - Miniature Wedge Base Bulbs

and got the footwell lights here, the LBM series 4
Super Bright LEDs - Car Accents

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
HI Guys I just finished my foot well lighting as per the tread and I 'm having the lights come back on real dim after about 10 minutes has any one figured how to fix this problem If I have to use a resistor do I put it in the ground wire or the hot (FUSED WIRE) or should I just let go The draw is so small it probably won't hurt the battery. hope to here from someone Thanks STAN

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
red one : HI Guys I just finished my foot well lighting as per the tread and I 'm having the lights come back on real dim after about 10 minutes has any one figured how to fix this problem If I have to use a resistor do I put it in the ground wire or the hot (FUSED WIRE) or should I just let go The draw is so small it probably won't hurt the battery. hope to here from someone Thanks STAN
If you mean 10 minutes after you turn off the ignition it sounds like you have connected something incorrectly. The Inadvertant Load Relay opens after 10 minutes to prevent an open door, trunk, etc from draining the battery. If the lights are coming back on when that happens, you are backfeeding them from another circuit.

Of course, it could also be unrelated.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
John
no the light come back onreal dim 10 min. after i shut the door

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
Yep has to be a wiring issue and where you have it "plugged" in. I've not has one single issue. The footwells and the map lights come on when I open the door and fade out after a few seconds just like normal. I can also push the buttons on the rearview to turn on and off the maplights. I did have an issue at first where when I would push the maplight button the floor lights would come on also but with JRinKYs help discovered I had it plugged into the wrong outlet. The sticky tape on the back of the floorwell strips didn't hold up with the cold weather but I just grabbed some of my scrapbooking 2 side tape and attached that and haven't had a problem since. Mine are all red and pics can be seen here:

http://photobucket.com/lighting

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
JRinKY
I soldered all the connection and covered with shrink tube except the ground to the gray wire I used One of those blue things that I hate but didn't want to cut original wire. The only thing I did different from original tread was I plug into 28 instead of 27 they both are grounds I might try putting it in 27. I PMed GXP asking Him IF he used to 10 amp fuse that he had to take out of27 and put it in fuse able link in his tread it shows a red fuse I used 5 amps but he hasn't gotten back to me yet thanks for the help I'll keep trying

61 - 80 of 118 Posts