Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

81 - 100 of 118 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
red one : JRinKY
I soldered all the connection and covered with shrink tube except the ground to the gray wire I used One of those blue things that I hate but didn't want to cut original wire. The only thing I did different from original tread was I plug into 28 instead of 27 they both are grounds I might try putting it in 27. I PMed GXP asking Him IF he used to 10 amp fuse that he had to take out of27 and put it in fuse able link in his tread it shows a red fuse I used 5 amps but he hasn't gotten back to me yet thanks for the help I'll keep trying
I suspect that using fuse 28 instead of 27 is your problem. In my manual 28 is listed as "Empty" and does not show up on the schematics. If it is on the opposite side of the Inadvertant Load Control Rely from fuse 27 you will get a ground loop through the original lighting circuit when the relay opens. Connecting the power tap to fuse 27 may solve the problem.

Regarding the use of the fuse tap: There are two fuse sockets on the tap. The one of them that is closest to the fuse block powers the original circuit and should use the original fuse, the other powers the tap, and should be fused for the load that you are adding. It is possible to install the tap backwards, which will cause both circuits to be fed through the "original" fuse, potentially overloading it. To prevent that, first install the tap without the original fuse, only install the upper fuse. If the tap circuit has power, it is installed correctly. If it does not, reverse it and check again. Once you know the correct orientation, install the original fuse.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
JRinKY
I did what you suggested used 27 put 10 amp fuse in bottom 5 amp in top I took that blue u-haul connector of and soldered the grounds together and they still come on real dim after about 10 minutes. What year car do you have mine is an 06 N/A if your is newer they might have changed something in the wiring I guess I'm going to have to try to put a resistor in if some one can tell me what size where i can get it and which wire i put it in + or - thanks again for your help Stan

·
Registered
556 Posts
JRinKY
I did what you suggested used 27 put 10 amp fuse in bottom 5 amp in top I took that blue u-haul connector of and soldered the grounds together and they still come on real dim after about 10 minutes. What year car do you have mine is an 06 N/A if your is newer they might have changed something in the wiring I guess I'm going to have to try to put a resistor in if some one can tell me what size where i can get it and which wire i put it in + or - thanks again for your help Stan
Red one, I just double checked and all's working fine with ours. Wired up as shown and they dim on time and no residual. I used 10 amp in both slots. Ours is a '06 NA, too.

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
Red one, I just double checked and all's working fine with ours. Wired up as shown and they dim on time and no residual. I used 10 amp in both slots. Ours is a '06 NA, too.
As is mine. :yesnod:

Now, there is a thread somewhere that talks about how our cars are work in regard to the maplights. I can't find it, but it spoke to this issue. I'll try to find time to search for it tomorrow.

·
Super Moderator
6,300 Posts
red one : JRinKY
The service manual that I checked is the '06 Sol, so it should apply to your car exactly.

This mod has been done to a variety of models and years without issue, so I think the problem is something different that you have done without realizing it. A resistor is pretty much a band-aid, and, in my opinion, not the best solution.

I would re-check everything. Do you have any other electrical mods ? You have used the term "ground" pretty interchangeably between the two connections. Make sure that you have the wiring correct: The grey wire is he ground, the fuse tap is the supply. I don't know what will happen if they are reversed.

·
Premium Member
182 Posts
JR inKY
John I have been a mechanic on just about everything that moves I just didn't do any thing wrong . I used a 18 gage double wire off of a recharger for an 12 cordless drill. I soldered both black wires with the white tracer to the black wire with the white tracer and both Led pods had a label on the black wire with the white tracer marked positive i soldered the black wire with the white tracer to the red fuse link plugged into number 27 with a 10 amp fuse in the bottom position and a 5 amp fuse in the top position and soldered all the black wires to the gray ground. they were all good solder joints and covered with shrink tube I took the glove box door down and there was a straight shot behind the radio to the drivers side. there just has to be some thing in the system that isn't right. they go out alright they have to be getting a very small feedback from somewhere. I would think if something was hooked up wrong something would get fried!!! There we other members on this tread that had the same problem I haven't heard from any of them as to what they found I guy said the draw was so small that after letting the car sit for 4 days he had no battery or starting problems and I guess he was going to use it that way.. That might be alright for him but not me I have to solve this problem thanks again for your help and concern Stan

·
Registered
864 Posts
The problem probably lies in the fact that this circuit is controlled by the computer in the car. As most of these are completely solid state circuits using things like diodes and triacs that are not as simple as on/off circuits. They will sometimes pass a minimal amount of current when they are in their off state. LED lights draw very little current, and may be below the current threshold in some cars. A resistor may indeed ad enough load to bump the circuit over this threshold. It's a common fix for things like when people install LEDs in the turn signals, and they won't blink properly. I have no idea what size would be used. I've just heard of this being done. Another possibility is to isolate the LED strips from this circuit by wiring them through the contacts of a relay, and triggering the relay with this circuit. A mechanical relay will chatter a bit as the circuit dims though. A solid state relay will not chatter, but may suffer from the same problem as the LEDs. I used a solid state relay to solve this problem when I changed my mirror to one that had LEDs in it instead of the incandescent bulbs in the stock mirror. It worked on my mirror, and I also have the foot well strips through this relay.

·
Registered
432 Posts
The problem probably lies in the fact that this circuit is controlled by the computer in the car. As most of these are completely solid state circuits using things like diodes and triacs that are not as simple as on/off circuits. They will sometimes pass a minimal amount of current when they are in their off state. LED lights draw very little current, and may be below the current threshold in some cars. A resistor may indeed ad enough load to bump the circuit over this threshold. It's a common fix for things like when people install LEDs in the turn signals, and they won't blink properly. I have no idea what size would be used. I've just heard of this being done. Another possibility is to isolate the LED strips from this circuit by wiring them through the contacts of a relay, and triggering the relay with this circuit. A mechanical relay will chatter a bit as the circuit dims though. A solid state relay will not chatter, but may suffer from the same problem as the LEDs. I used a solid state relay to solve this problem when I changed my mirror to one that had LEDs in it instead of the incandescent bulbs in the stock mirror. It worked on my mirror, and I also have the foot well strips through this relay.
Thanks for this post BLK GXP. The ballast resistors used for LED turnsignals part. It just clicked (no pun intended).
I installed LEDs for interior lighting, disconnecting my mirror lights awhile back. They never went completely off, just dimmed to a low glow.
I had a 2200 ohm 1/2 watt resistor laying around, so I wired it in parallel with the LEDs, and like magic, the LEDs go completely off, and stayed off for at least 1/2 hour now. That resistor should only draw about 1/10 watt at 15v, so it should be safe.
Just wanted to share this.

·
Registered
432 Posts
There we other members on this tread that had the same problem I haven't heard from any of them as to what they found I guy said the draw was so small that after letting the car sit for 4 days he had no battery or starting problems and I guess he was going to use it that way.. That might be alright for him but not me I have to solve this problem thanks again for your help and concern Stan
I'm the guy and have been following this thread with interest. See above post.
Just checked my lights again, they are still off. :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
Hey guys, I am COMPLETELY lost on this install. Got the light strips and a connector from pepboys, and installed it, but I do not understand how the wires all attach. I can't tell from the photos, and I need some simple help. Where does my ground wire go? Do both ground wires go the same place? What wires do I connect to the fuse link (whatever its called)? I tried to test the light strip off of the fuse link, and don't know what to ground to so I can't even test it to see what's right or wrong- and what's the point of everyone showing the gray wire? Is THAT the ground, and if so, how do I tap into it? I don't want to just start cutting wires and souldering. HELP PLEASE!!

·
Premium Member
743 Posts
I agree with Sway... There have been a number changes to this thread to improve the upon initial post. There have also been some corrections to elimate the lights coming back on after 10 minutes.

I would also appreciate it if someone could post a new updated step by step with pictures for a clean install of this awesome mod.

Thanks in advance!!!

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I did not take pictures when I installed LEDs in 1Kulsols car at the Texas Mod Meet this weekend, but here is the pertinent information.

To make the footwell lights operate with the maplights, put the fusetap in slot 27 in the passenger footwell fusebox. The ground is tapped into the gray wire from the third position on the top row of the big plug in the fusebox.

Connect both positive lines from the LEDs to a common wire attached to the fuse tap. Connect both ground wires from the LEDS to a common wire tapped to the gray ground wire.

You can find good photos here: Pontiac Solstice Forum - I be 'GLOWIN' *NOW* - solstice-forum.com

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have one question... how did ya all get the map light bulbs out? I can't for the life of me get a hold on those suckers in the little tiny space? Any tricks?

·
Registered
3,468 Posts
I have one question... how did ya all get the map light bulbs out? I can't for the life of me get a hold on those suckers in the little tiny space? Any tricks?
Prayer and fasting. :D

Seriously, a small screw driver and patience. You just have to "wiggle" them out of their sockets. On the two sets I've removed, I got two out whole and two out in pieces. Once I broke the bulb, then a pair of needle nosed pliers pulled the remnant out with no problem. :lol:

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
I have questions!

I'm doing it AztekRPurty's way (tapping into the connector at the BCM). How, exactly, did you run the wiring? I mean, the passenger side is probably straight forward (though I'm trying not to have loose hanging wires)... how do you route over to the driver's side?

Thanks
Matt

·
Registered
3,245 Posts
As I posted over a Kappa Performance... ;)

·
Registered
298 Posts
Thanks Guys, I'm a newbie to Solstices and you saved me a lot of time. I was going to ask if anyone had done this and I found this thread. I did this mod to my Mustang when I first go it and it was a lot harder because I was the first one to do it so there were no instructions to follow.

I did this install in about 15 minutes. I ran the wire from the driver's side to the passengers side directly behind the shift cluster (boomeragng I believe you call it). I used a coat hanger to fish the wire through. I did not remove the BCM, I just unraveled the cable bundle and tapped into the grey wire. The black LED wire is connected to this wire and the red LED cable goes to the fuse pigtail.

BTW to get the bulbs out of the mirror I just used a needle nose plier. I installed the blue bulbs but they look kind of dim. I may put the originals back in and maybe try dome blue mylar film.

Thank you for posting this.

·
Registered
517 Posts
Thanks Guys, I'm a newbie to Solstices and you saved me a lot of time. I was going to ask if anyone had done this and I found this thread. I did this mod to my Mustang when I first go it and it was a lot harder because I was the first one to do it so there were no instructions to follow.

I did this install in about 15 minutes. I ran the wire from the driver's side to the passengers side directly behind the shift cluster (boomeragng I believe you call it). I used a coat hanger to fish the wire through. I did not remove the BCM, I just unraveled the cable bundle and tapped into the grey wire. The black LED wire is connected to this wire and the red LED cable goes to the fuse pigtail.

BTW to get the bulbs out of the mirror I just used a needle nose plier. I installed the blue bulbs but they look kind of dim. I may put the originals back in and maybe try dome blue mylar film.

Thank you for posting this.
I can tell you this from experience.

Blue looks cool and all, but you will give up ever reading a map. Anything printed goes away on paper under blue light..

Sucked too, cause I liked my blue light special..

81 - 100 of 118 Posts