Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I wanted to share this mod with the rest of the community. I've seen my fair share of LEDs in the footwell but what bothered me was that they were all full bright all of the time. There was no doubt that the lights were an after market mod. Most of the Mods I like are ones that make your head scratch and think if this was a OEM part.

So I decided to wire the LEDs to the dimming control of the instrument panel. This would make the lights dim with the in cabin dimming control and also automatically turn off in the sunlight. See Videos below

2012 11 16 21 11 09 305 - YouTube

AND

2012 11 16 21 17 32 470 - YouTube

If there is any interest I can provide details

·
Registered
834 Posts
It's easily accessible, just have to remove a few panels. All you need is a soft plastic panel pry tool, or some other tape wrapped flat prying tool, and a screwdriver, and maybe 5-10 minutes.

Interesting mod. To make them truly OE like, it'd be nice if the dimming matched the stocking dimming more accurately, which would happen naturally if they were incandescent lights and not LED.

When I first read your thread, I thought you had managed to find a way to get the slow dimming of the courtesy lights as they go off to work with the LED footwell lighting. Now that's a nice OE like classy touch. I miss that feature now that I have LED footwell lighting. I could probably make it happen using some resistors, but that would also reduce their brightness when they are lit. Anything beyond that and we're getting into TomatoSoup territory ;)

·
Registered
292 Posts
We wired them on the lit door sills wires at
the BCM. About 20sec they dim off.
They look great.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
834 Posts
We wired them on the lit door sills wires at
the BCM. About 20sec they dim off.
They look great.
LLLFLY
Me too, you wired constant 12V, and tapped the go-to-ground that connects to ground when the doors open.

If you wire them up with incandescent bulbs, they gave a great dimming effect. When you use LEDs, it's a much sharper/faster one.

By any chance do you have the stock mirror with the incandescent light bulbs still in? Notice how they have a nice smooth, dim to off over a few seconds? Not the LEDs right? It's a quick slight dim, then clearly off in a fraction of the time. Not a huge deal, but I do miss that . . . felt/seemed classy to me.

·
Registered
292 Posts
They dim slow.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry forgot about this thread. I'm starting to do a build thread and will cross reference.

Anyways ....The Auto on/off and dimming was achieved by using one of the wires from the BCM that powers the instrument panel. I personally tapped into the wire from the Hazard button. Not sure which one it was but you can find it using a multimeter.

·
Registered
4,499 Posts
I wanted to share this mod with the rest of the community. I've seen my fair share of LEDs in the footwell but what bothered me was that they were all full bright all of the time. There was no doubt that the lights were an after market mod. Most of the Mods I like are ones that make your head scratch and think if this was a OEM part.

So I decided to wire the LEDs to the dimming control of the instrument panel. This would make the lights dim with the in cabin dimming control and also automatically turn off in the sunlight. See Videos below

2012 11 16 21 11 09 305 - YouTube

AND

2012 11 16 21 17 32 470 - YouTube

If there is any interest I can provide details
I was considering doing something very similar. I was going to wire some in the truck as well. So now the task of finding them starts! ;)

·
Registered
731 Posts
Where are you tapping into on the BCM or fuse panel to get the dim option.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I got it right from the hazard switch, a little down from the pin

1 - 10 of 10 Posts