Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find answers anywhere. I'm not ignorant with wiring, as I've done multiple mods like this before, the biggest question I have is location. I'm trying to tactically place my LED strips in the foot well to maximize visibility however hide the LED strips at the same time. Everyone shows pictures of their LED's in action but doesn't show exactly where they placed them under the dash. Any help is appreciated.

I'm also trying to put a toggle switch somewhere in there, and I'm not exactly sure where the best place to put it would be without it looking like crap. I'm going for as OEM look as I can. Thanks in advance for your help.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
I'll post a pic later tonight of where my swiches for my grill lights and under-car lights are later tonight....

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
You don't necessarily have to use strips. I found theses little modules work well and are east to conceal.

How To: install footwell lighting

I'm curious as to why you want yo install a switch? Most of us just have our footwell lights turn off and on with the other interior lighting.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Hi, I've done quite a bit of searching and can't find answers anywhere. I'm not ignorant with wiring, as I've done multiple mods like this before, the biggest question I have is location. I'm trying to tactically place my LED strips in the foot well to maximize visibility however hide the LED strips at the same time. Everyone shows pictures of their LED's in action but doesn't show exactly where they placed them under the dash. Any help is appreciated.

I'm also trying to put a toggle switch somewhere in there, and I'm not exactly sure where the best place to put it would be without it looking like crap. I'm going for as OEM look as I can. Thanks in advance for your help.
Just mount them at the rear of the horizontal plastic 'plates' under the dash.

·
Registered
3,774 Posts
Here's where I hide my "Ghosting" feature for my Windrestrictor:

Here's my switches for my undercar and grill lights. Note the 2 red switches. Just in behind the OBDII port:

·
Registered
135 Posts
My toggle switch is located under the dash just to the left of the hood release. Out of site and easily accessed. ;)

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Had mine professionally installed. All my mod lighting is setup to operate via wireless remote control. Have footwell lighting, under hood/engine lighting and also have remote control operation on the WindRestrictor, too. Little to no visible impact on my interior to the naked eye as that was what I wanted. No holes, no drilling, no excuses. I like as wireless remote control is convenient and wiring is not visible. Very pleased with remote control operation setup provided by the shop. I can even turn on lighting via remote from inside the house, garage, even while standing or relaxing from quite a nice distance outside the car...in show mode if I like. Next up on list is trunk lighting :) within next week or so. Just got to get over to the shop.

·
Super Moderator
15,970 Posts
Had mine professionally installed. All my mod lighting is setup to operate via wireless remote control. Have footwell lighting, under hood/engine lighting and also have remote control operation on the WindRestrictor, too. Little to no visible impact on my interior to the naked eye as that was what I wanted. No holes, no drilling, no excuses. I like as wireless remote control is convenient and wiring is not visible. Very pleased with remote control operation setup provided by the shop. I can even turn on lighting via remote from inside the house, garage, even while standing or relaxing from quite a nice distance outside the car...in show mode if I like. Next up on list is trunk lighting :) within next week or so. Just got to get over to the shop.
Nice

I have migrated to spider LED lights for the turns and backup lights.

I have under hood LEDs (Home Depot super bright) connected via rocker switch to the battery.

I am in the process of hooking the fender lights to the front fog light circuit and separately to my "show" light circuit.

I have added separate circuits for my "show" lights. A deep draw battery sits in the trunk at shows and connects via fused plug to the show light circuit. The distribution panel is under the rear bumper cover. From the distirbution panel, I have four separate circuits. One for the backup / license plate flasher circuit, one for the the windrestrictor / tails / fog lights / exhaust center light (Punisher eyes), one for the cabin lighting effects (door sills and future foot well lights), and one for trunk LED and trunk lighting effects.

I also use the show DC supply to power the show iBoo based sound system.

There are lots of opportunities for adding features to our cars. Just embrace them and enjoy.:devil:

Attachments

·
Registered
413 Posts
Rob you say Home Depot super brights or some such. Are you buying a home type kit and skipping the transformer? Are they all about 12 volts?

Solo Dio
08 Solstice GXP Brazen / Inferno Orange

·
Registered
3,235 Posts
They are, that's what TomatoSoup did years ago with the ones he installed.

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
Mine were the Ikea "Dioder" lights :)

Pack of four. One in each footwell and two as puddle lights (under the doors). They are good as they come with flush-mounting brackets (silver rings in photo below) that you can attach first, then clip the lights in when done. And yes, powered direct from the car (threw away the transformer).

DIODER LED multi-use light - IKEA

·
Registered
612 Posts
I bought a remote control w/fob for my LED's and mounted the actual controller on the bulkhead between the cabin and trunk (inside trunk) with double sided tape and the fob I stow in the pouch in front of the seat. The unit is actually a dimmer so I can have as much light as I want at any time.

·
Premium Member
7 Posts
Rob - absolutely genius! & thanks for sharing! You're right...there are lots of opportunities to add different features to these wonderful cars. I got the mod bug within weeks of joining the forum, & was sure that wasn't going to happen to me when I first joined. But I've owned up to it and am enjoying the car, along with the current and any future mods that I'm sure I will eventually add on :)

·
Registered
15 Posts
Footwell LED lights tied to headlight circuit

Which wire in dash harness behind radio do I tap into? I would like blue lighting in the footwell whenever my headlights come on.

·
Registered
15 Posts
So to follow up, I tapped into the dashboard illumination wires of the fog light switch so than my blue LED light bars mounted in the footwells come on whenever the headlights and dash lighting turn on. Works perfectly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts