Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am disappointed that so many people are breaking the Forum rules and flaming on anyone trying to sell their Solstice.

Please contain that debate within this thread instead of interfering with the sales.

Mods -- please delete out all posts in the "For Sale" section that breach the rules.

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
I am disappointed that so many people got in line to purchase a car they did not want. This is the automotive version of ticket scalping. If ever there was a car for people who love cars, the Solstice is it. Too bad some people only see it as a way to cheat their neighbor our of a few extra bucks. :(

What makes me feel good is that the scalpers are being chastised for their deeds. Any decent society has limits on what is considered proper. I'm glad that Solstice Forum members have drawn a line in the sand on profiteering on the Solstice first run cars. :yesnod:

·
Registered
9 Posts
You call us scalpers? Have you ever bought furniture? You enjoy paying that 400% makup? How about jewelry at 200%. If you ever sell your home I hope you don't think you deserve to get more than you paid for it. Do you sit in front of the local movie theater with a picket sign because they have the gall to charge $7.00 for a tub of popcorn? Do you boycott buying music because a cd is $16.00? You need to chill out. It's pretty easy for anyone to be a tough guy while sitting at a computer.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
At this point I have two options:
1) Tell the dealer I don't want it. The dealer then sells it for way above MSRP to a different buyer.
2) I buy it, then sell it for above MSRP to another buyer.

So either 1st 1000 winners make a profit or dealers make extra profit.

·
Registered
2 Posts
waisting time

This is my first mail in this forum. I´m from Mexico and I´m expecting the arriving of Solstice here. It´s really sad to see somebody making business with this beautiful car, so soon and using this forum for that. I´m not going to waisting my time reading mails like those. I just want to know everything about this great car, but nothing about personal business. It´s boring.
haysoon said:
You call us scalpers? Have you ever bought furniture? You enjoy paying that 400% makup? How about jewelry at 200%. If you ever sell your home I hope you don't think you deserve to get more than you paid for it. Do you sit in front of the local movie theater with a picket sign because they have the gall to charge $7.00 for a tub of popcorn? Do you boycott buying music because a cd is $16.00? You need to chill out. It's pretty easy for anyone to be a tough guy while sitting at a computer.

·
Read Only
3,468 Posts
To buy or not to buy, that is the question.

Whether 'tis nobler in the mind to suffer the slings and arrows of outrageous prices, or to take arms against a sea of dealers and by refraining from purchasing end them. (with apologies to the Bard! ;) )

In this issue, I would simply say this: Patience _is_ a virtue, All things come to he who waits, Time wounds all heels. :lol:

Let our silence to the resellers be our loudest statement. If no one responds to their For Sale offers, they will not sell.

--Chemist (MSRP or lower)

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
haysoon said:
"But Mom, all my friends are doing it!!!" Your mother didn't buy into that argument and neither should we.

"If all your friends were to jump off a pier, would you?" Well obviously you would!

It's called holding yourself to a higher standard. In Star Wars it was called "Crossing over to the Dark Side".

Yes there are people that profit on other people's desires or needs. But there's a limit to what is ethical. GM setup a program that specifically addressed profiteers and had as many provisos to eliminate those they had the control to foil. Intentionally posing as a person that would like to actually own and drive a Solstice so you can sell it at a profit to someone who actually does is pushing the ethical envelope.

Remember, EOP was a contest. Your buying that car eliminated the chance for the person you want to sell that car to from doing so. I see it as standing in line, buying the last ticket, then turning around and selling it at a profit to the person who stood in line behind you. If you see that as ethical, then you and I have differing values.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
This is not like scapling tickets. For one, scapling (in most cases) is illegal! Reselling a car is totally within the law and the rules of the EOP.

At some point, most Solstice owners will either trade-in or resell their car. Are you telling me you won't negotiate a higher trade-in value based on your Solstice being a special edition 1st 1000?

·
Registered
397 Posts
Two short comments:
haysoon said:
First: I'm sorry, but your analogy makes no sense what-so-ever. Equating over-priced retail to what you are doing is totally baseless. What you are doing with the Solstice is equivalent to you buying that $7.00 popcorn and then re-selling it to someone else in the lobby for $15.00!!! :cuss:

Second: Has anyone else on the forum noticed that the two complainers here are both new members and both from NC? Hey, didn't we just have an issue with some shady dealer/salesmen in NC scalping THEIR Solstices??

Hmmmm....Coincidence? I think NOT! :brentil:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
haysoon said:
I need to chill? :lol: I think you missed my point. I was saying that it is wrong for people to get in line to purchase a car they did not want. Also, your examples are flawed. You are trying to compare legitimate businesses to a guy on a street corner. It's not the same thing and you know it.

"Madness is badness of spirit, when one seeks profit from all sources" - Aristotle

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
...it was a good idea at the time

One of the main features of the Solstice was that it was done at just under $20k. Thus making it theorectically available to the average income earner.
Of course it is not surprising that some would come along and take advantage of people excited by this appealing automobile. Nor is it surprising that many would resent and want to oppose that manuevre.

It's a shame, though, that the "rules" prohibit a reaction to those prostituting this original concept. I guess free speech is not acceptable. I think the line between hostility/insults, etc. and "cold water" is a line easily distinguished, except, apparently, in the "rules".
Pity.
:cool:

·
Premium Member
4,053 Posts
RichSol said:
One of the main features of the Solstice was that it was done at just under $20k. Thus making it theorectically available to the average income earner.
Of course it is not surprising that some would come along and take advantage of people excited by this appealing automobile. Nor is it surprising that many would resent and want to oppose that manuevre.

It's a shame, though, that the "rules" prohibit a reaction to those prostituting this original concept. I guess free speech is not acceptable. I think the line between hostility/insults, etc. and "cold water" is a line easily distinguished, except, apparently, in the "rules".
Pity.
:cool:
That's pretty good! I think you beat my Aristotle quote. :yesnod:

·
Registered
1,844 Posts
Greeny said:
This is not like scapling tickets. For one, scapling (in most cases) is illegal! Reselling a car is totally within the law and the rules of the EOP.
Try to figure out why scalping tickets was made illegal. What was the motive behind passing legislation to out law it. It was because the majority thought it was wrong! Do you function under the premise that if there's no specific law against it, it must be OK to do?

·
Registered
1,509 Posts
I'm amazed that some people thought this wasn't going to happen....

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Greeny said:
I am disappointed that so many people are breaking the Forum rules and flaming on anyone trying to sell their Solstice.

Please contain that debate within this thread instead of interfering with the sales.

Mods -- please delete out all posts in the "For Sale" section that breach the rules.
There are rules and there are rights.

Rights are something that I spent five years in the 1st Cavalry and 3rd Infantry to insure that you and everyone else in the country has.
There are other breathren right now giving the ultimate sacrifice for you so that you can whine. Thats the great thing about this country, they allow people like you to insert whatever size shoe you wear into your mouth.

Don't give me this cr*p about being tough on a computer.

Rules are something we follow. Sometimes because its the law, and sometimes, because it is the right thing to do.

I didn't even have to look at your join dates to this forum, because it is obvious you just got here.

This forum has been outstanding when it comes to courtesy, decency and intellect.

We are enthusiasts. We are buying this car out of love.
Last I checked, the rules don't say we can't complain about someone that is looking to simply profit from an investment.
If you want to invest and make money, either go to USA Millionaire or try the Merrill Lynch website.
Don't come on our site and attempt to put us down when you have no idea who we are.

I suggest you go somewhere else to try to profit on this car.

Unfortunately, due to forum "rules", I can't tell you where to go.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Scalping is 100% Legal in Indiana.

I know, come Indy 500 time, or NBA Playoffs there is an organized business out of it (licenced scalpers). Actually, ANY game or concert, you can find tickets.

I don't have a problem with it. If I waited that long to get a ticket, I deserve to play over face-value.

·
Registered
265 Posts
I expect 10% or more of the first 1000 owners will attempt to "flip" their cars. Remember, it was a contest, all you had to do to get one was surf the web, show up, and get lucky.

a) There were plenty of people that bought on impulse, and only later did the math and decided that they couldn't afford it (or got laid off), so... sell it while the market is "hot."

b) More than a few folks know the coolest cars sell for over list... flip it!

There will probably be buyers.

I'm also not surprised they are here to try to sell their car. This is the single most popular Solstice site on the web. I think we should keep tabs on the vehicles, their out-the-door purchase price (we'll find out which dealers are adding on), their sale price when they sell, insurance rates... everything. It's better to be informed.

Lastly, if the price skyrockets (and it might) I predict even some of the MSRP diehards will be tempted to sell. Me, I'm keeping it.

Backstage

·
Registered
73 Posts
no offense to any one her, but I'm really tired of reading everyonse comments on how the sol shouldn't go up in price. I say that a bunch of bull. I think this is a very nice, unique car and is worth going up in value. Understanding that it will never be a vette, or porsche, well ok no prob, but hey if being the first 1k orders is special than hey, let the price rise. If can happen for a stinken ford why not a pontiac. I like to think that this car has the potential to hold it's value, and then some and hopefully 20 years down the raod be somthing to tell your kids about..."I used to have a solstice when I was younger..." kindof story. So if ebayers want to sell the car for a higher price great hopefully someone will buy. As for my I am happily awaiting my first 1k order .

·
Registered
292 Posts
OMG!!! It's a car. Someone has been making a profit off it since it was first drawn on a piece of paper.
If someone wants to park it in their driveway and worship it as the second coming, so what they paid for it.
GM never said you had to "want" the car to be able to get a 1st 1000. I don't really think you want GM telling you what you can do with a car you paid for do you?
As far as being a car the average person can afford. If the average person could afford 20K for a car there wouldn't be near as many used car lots.
I like the Solstice alot and will be glad when mine arrives, but if someone offers me enough I'll sell it for a profit, just like my dealer did and just like GM did. In the end it's a car, a way to get from point "A" to point "B" with out having to walk. Enjoy your Solstice and don't worry about what someone else does with theirs. If you missed out on a 1st 1000 to bad. Look around I think there are about 9000 of us in that boat so far.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
LBJay said:
I'm amazed that some people thought this wasn't going to happen....
It's a shame that it is, because most of us would of done anythimg to get a first 1000. But I will not pay over sticker!

I love this car and can't wait till we get ours!

Zero/zipper ct.

1 - 20 of 41 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.