Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
For the Canadian buyers, NEWS CAME EARLY!!!

eh guys, I just got a email from my local Dealer here in Mississauga, Ontario... He said, " Base price $25695.00, freight $930.00, air tax $100.00.
Mechanical.2.4 ecotec dohc v v t 177 hp, aisin 5 speed trans ( short throw) 4wheel discs brakes,indep suspen,front and rear,bilstein monotube shocks, 18" wheels 245/45R18 goodyear eagle tires,high polished exhaust.
Interior
Cloth top,d&p air bags,am/fm cd six speakers,rear defroster,race inspired bucket seats,.
Hope this helps you out.
Thank you Russell."

The last thing I am looking into is the leather interior, if it is a option or comes with it... will update tomorrow...

:willy:

Jeff
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
Yes, we need Canadian details in regards to price, availability, any special options (hardtop?), etc. Less confusing on the threads...

Any indication on the Cdn dollar starting price? I hope they at least match the exchange rate fairly. We already get screwed because of GST. Ahhh, Canada and its propensity to tax the hell out of people! :devil:

EDIT: Thanks for the edit in the last post to update the info.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
byebmw said:
Yes, we need Canadian details in regards to price, availability, any special options (hardtop?), etc. Less confusing on the threads...

Any indication on the Cdn dollar starting price? I hope they at least match the exchange rate fairly. We already get screwed because of GST. Ahhh, Canada and its propensity to tax the hell out of people! :devil:
And to use big words. :lol: Kids out there was propensity on the SAT?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Canadian price

byebmw said:
Yes, we need Canadian details in regards to price, availability, any special options (hardtop?), etc. Less confusing on the threads...

Any indication on the Cdn dollar starting price? I hope they at least match the exchange rate fairly. We already get screwed because of GST. Ahhh, Canada and its propensity to tax the hell out of people! :devil:
Mr Grimmaldi the President of GM Canada said the Solstice would be in the mid 20's C$ and the Sky would be below 30k C$. I am hoping the exchange rate they use is less than the official rate. Look at the base G6 on the Pontiac US site vs the Pontiac Canadian site. The exchange rate is just over 16% . This seems to be quite common in the Auto industry.
I think the real driver of the final price will be how it compares to the Canadian Miata price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Why can't they put on 17" wheels what's with the hiphop blinging 18's? They are too big, too much unsprung weight.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
Canadian prices are not tied directly to the exchange rate. As the daily rate changes, the price of cars remains steady. For a while we were actually paying much less for cars than our american counterparts (this was eventually a problem as american dealers would buy their cars in Canada, bring them accross the border and sell them in the US and hence reducing GM's profit).

As in the US, Canadian car prices are linked to how much the makers figure they can charge for the car and yet still meet their sales objectives.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
wing said:
Why can't they put on 17" wheels what's with the hiphop blinging 18's? They are too big, too much unsprung weight.
It's part of the design. Like why does the Corvette have 18" and 19" rims? They're trying to seperate themselves from the others, and this is one of the ways they're doing it. However I really do wonder how much the 0-60 times are effected by the 18" wheels.
 

·
Mod Emeritus
Joined
·
7,468 Posts
wing said:
Why can't they put on 17" wheels what's with the hiphop blinging 18's? They are too big, too much unsprung weight.
I agree the 18's seem like overkill. Its another case of design taking precedence over everything else on the car. Same goes for the funky top operation.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,691 Posts
Even the Cobalt SS has 18" wheels, although only 225's.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
178 Posts
CivicR1Guy said:
eh guys, I just got a email from my local Dealer here in Mississauga, Ontario... He said, " Base price $25695.00, freight $930.00, air tax $100.00.
How can your dealer be charging you for air? Isn't air conditioning an option? If that's the case, then your dealer shouldn't be charging you that tax when quoting you the base price.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
405 Posts
The $100.00 is an air tax...that might indicate that air is standard in Canada, which would help explain the higher price....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Canadian price

CivicR1Guy said:
eh guys, I just got a email from my local Dealer here in Mississauga, Ontario... He said, " Base price $25695.00, freight $930.00, air tax $100.00.
Mechanical.2.4 ecotec dohc v v t 177 hp, aisin 5 speed trans ( short throw) 4wheel discs brakes,indep suspen,front and rear,bilstein monotube shocks, 18" wheels 245/45R18 goodyear eagle tires,high polished exhaust.
Interior
Cloth top,d&p air bags,am/fm cd six speakers,rear defroster,race inspired bucket seats,.
Hope this helps you out.
Thank you Russell."

The last thing I am looking into is the leather interior, if it is a option or comes with it... will update tomorrow...

:willy:

Jeff
Can you confirm why there is air tax. Does this mean
AC is going to be standard on the Canadian Solstice?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
96 Posts
eh guys, I just got a email from my local Dealer here in Mississauga, Ontario... He said, " Base price $25695.00, freight $930.00, air tax $100.00.
It is going to cost more in Canada for this vehicle, especially with the prohibitive sales taxes in this country. It doesn't help that Canadians have a lower disposble income than found in the U.S. (i.e., less money to spend on cars like the Solstice after taxes, expeses, etc.).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
byebmw said:
It is going to cost more in Canada for this vehicle, especially with the prohibitive sales taxes in this country. It doesn't help that Canadians have a lower disposble income than found in the U.S. (i.e., less money to spend on cars like the Solstice after taxes, expeses, etc.).
Not nessecarliy. The Cobalt SS costs more the the SRT-4 in the US BUT its cheaper then the SRT-4 in Canada.

As for sales taxes....just move to oil rich Alberta! No provincal sales tax and we don't use any where near the amount salt that you use on the roads! Plus theres no smog and the traffic is not that bad. Plus houses are still affordable.... :lol:

At a base of $$25,695 (as CivicR1Guy mentioned) its stilll pretty affordable. My only regret is they didn't go ahead with a coupe as well.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Can you confirm why there is air tax. Does this mean
AC is going to be standard on the Canadian Solstice?

Yup. Air tax is ONLY charged when Air Conditioner is on vehicle and that means that Air is std on the Canadian version of the Solstice.
It's fairly common to include options as std equip on a base vehicle in Canada.
My Z4 has bi-xenons, cruise and a number of other features as std equip on the Canadian base Z4 - all of which are options on the U.S. base model.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Canadian Price

byebmw said:
It is going to cost more in Canada for this vehicle, especially with the prohibitive sales taxes in this country. It doesn't help that Canadians have a lower disposble income than found in the U.S. (i.e., less money to spend on cars like the Solstice after taxes, expeses, etc.).
Taxes is not the only problem here. It is the exchange rate they are using to convert US to Canadian. $25,695+$930=$26,625 divided by $19,995 =33% exchange rate vs the going rate of about 23%
Now if AC is included in the base price then the exchange rate will drop to 28% which is more reasonable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
496 Posts
Air Tax

Skyward said:
Yup. Air tax is ONLY charged when Air Conditioner is on vehicle and that means that Air is std on the Canadian version of the Solstice.
It's fairly common to include options as std equip on a base vehicle in Canada.
My Z4 has bi-xenons, cruise and a number of other features as std equip on the Canadian base Z4 - all of which are options on the U.S. base model.
Skyward do you have confirmation that AC is standard or are you speculating?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
76 Posts
GreatWhiteNorth said:
Skyward do you have confirmation that AC is standard or are you speculating?
I'm basing my conclusion on what CivicR1Guy posted to start this thread - namely that he was told by his dealer that "Base price $25695.00, freight $930.00, air tax $100.00.".
Since the $100 air tax can only be charged if air conditioning is present, than the only logical conclusion is that air conditioning is standard on the base Solstice in Canada. N'est pas, eh? :yesnod:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
8 Posts
No way is a/c going to be standard in Canada. Especially on a convertible. In general Canada has a much cooler climate. With a convertible I wouldn't bother. The dealer was misinformed or just giving you worst case scenario.
 
1 - 20 of 40 Posts
Top