Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
I wanted one, but was building a house at that time and my banker advised against any major expenses. So I delayed it for what turned out to be forever.

The build process was amazing, and a friend of mine found out that an engine bay designed to fit an L4 and a V6 was a perfect fit for a small block V8.

·
Registered
7,201 Posts
Actor 1: Please tell me that's not a Pontiac Fiero... (actor doesn't like Fiero's).

Actor 2: Impressive I know...(actor doesn't pick up on that the actor 1 is implying the Fiero is a POS)

Actor 1: No, no that's not impressive. (Actor again let it's be known he thinks the Fiero is a POS).

This scene isn't a positive representation of a Fiero in 2020. In fact those types of comments sound like they are from 1984. As usual,l the car is being presented as a joke, and does nothing to encourage anyone to want to go out and buy one.

·
Registered
269 Posts
This has been posted on the various Fiero social media groups more than the LetGo yellow Fiero Monk ad.
Glad to see the car getting some love, and man, every time something like this happens it's too-late hot-takes for weeks in the Fiero world.

·
Premium Member
3,744 Posts
I wanted one, but was building a house at that time and my banker advised against any major expenses. So I delayed it for what turned out to be forever.

The build process was amazing, and a friend of mine found out that an engine bay designed to fit an L4 and a V6 was a perfect fit for a small block V8.
There was a guy some years back V 8 Archie who produced kits for installing V8's in Fieros . I've seen a number of engine swaps done with the V8 and GM the 3800 series being the most popular .

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,444 Posts
There was a guy some years back V 8 Archie who produced kits for installing V8's in Fieros . I've seen a number of engine swaps done with the V8 and GM the 3800 series being the most popular .
Archie is still around and still doing the same thing: V8 Archie

:thumbs:

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Fieros were blighted by the first ones produced, which were horrid beasts with lifeless engines (Iron Puke 4 cylinder) that had issues. Pontiac had to do that to get the green light for production, though, and thereafter tried to improve the breed as they could.

It is interesting to ponder whether they would have done better had they chosen the 3.8 90 deg. V6 rather than the 2.8 60 deg. engines but I doubt they could have sold management on that idea.

They finally did get it right with the 1988 model that had clearly superior suspension and handling I love my 88 and drove it for 20 years before being tempted away by the Solstice.

·
Super Moderator
7,147 Posts
The stories always were that the Firebird/Camaro/Corvette teams killed the Fiero by forcing it into the commuter car niche. Knowing what I know about the V8-equipped car they were right to be worried.

Or, how about an LNF version?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I owned two Fieros when i was in my teens/early 20's. me and a friend got it down to the point we could swap the engine in less than 8 hours. my love for the car has died sense i got the solstice to be honest. The Fiero has not aged well. TBH most 80's cars are like that to me. just feel like the interiors don't stand up to time. I hope the solstice does. I have been enjoying fixing it up. im almost ready to put her on here.

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
The stories always were that the Firebird/Camaro/Corvette teams killed the Fiero by forcing it into the commuter car niche. Knowing what I know about the V8-equipped car they were right to be worried.

They wouldn't have got the whole concept approved unless they had done is as a commuter car, but once it was up and running, the enthusiasts in GM immediately started to plan for a larger engined version to sell as a sports car.

It was in 1986 when they produced twoo turbo 2.9 powered prototypes that Corvette got all fussed as they estimated pricing to be well below the Corvette and the performance with 190 bhp pushed the Corvette's with 230 bhp and the Corvette was also 500 lbs. heavier.

·
Registered
122 Posts
I don't agree with the comment "the Fiero hasn't aged well", I think it looks pretty darn "modern" for a car that is 35 plus years old. Can't tell you how often when I'm driving mine and a millennial will come up and ask me what model Ferrari or Porsche I'm driving, lol.

·
Registered
6,992 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I have to say I've always loved the rear 3/4 of the car since they went to the flying buttress design. Only the front bumper looks dated to me (and a bit tacky).

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
I agree that the front view is the weakest on the Fiero, but the rear quarter view is very strong. Too bad they couldn't have done a bit better with the front of the car, but c'est la vie.

IMHO, the appearance of the 88 car with one colour on the side has always please me more than the pre 88 with the gray stripe.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Fiero projects are infamous for never getting done, but there is (or was) someone working on an LNF swap. Mine has a 3.4 from a later Camaro, which is the easiest of all the swaps. It adds 30-40 HP and the car feels about like it probably should have from the factory. The Gen 2 3800 SC is popular, and more complicated.

Given the issues with the suspension, brakes, and under hood airflow, it's not far from factory to the point of diminishing returns for power, unless you want to dive into the other issues as well.

Great fun car to drive around. I love mine. And for me, 300HP would be overkill.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I agree that the front view is the weakest on the Fiero, but the rear quarter view is very strong. Too bad they couldn't have done a bit better with the front of the car, but c'est la vie.
There were three different front ends, if you count the early bumper-pad cars. I prefer the aero front end first used on the Indy pace cars and later on the GTs. And I'm still preferential to popup headlights.

Did you happen to see that someone finally managed to produce some decent GT tail light replacements?

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Great fun car to drive around. I love mine. And for me, 300HP would be overkill.
My turbo, at 300 bhp, was a great car to drive. 0-60 about 4.5 sec.s and 1/4 around 13.0. And very well balanced for all that.

That's why I never tired of it over two decades!

·
Registered
26 Posts
I meant the interior didn't age well. I agree the outside of the car looks very modern, especially the fastback version of the car, and there is no question it was/is a cool car. But for my toy, ill keep my solstice ;)

·
Registered
6,838 Posts
Yeah, all cloth seats are less durable than leather or vynide, but they are cooler in summer!

My Fiero was quicker than my GXP before I modified the Solstice. Partly because it had more power and partly because it was 300 lbs lighter, and partly because the rear weight bias gave the Fiero an amazing ability to get away from a standing start.

I prefer the handling of the Solstice (I had 'optimized handling of both cars).

1 - 20 of 20 Posts