Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If and when a short-throw shifter hits the market, it will be a pretty easy mod to do. The problem, as I see it will be that the shift knob and boot aren't easily removed from the shifter stalk... at least not as far as I can tell. For those curious, though ;) Here's how you remove the shifter.

1) The boot and trim ring pop right out of the IP trim panel

2) The shifter is held to the linkage with an allen-head set screw. Oddly enough it is a standard (vice metric) size 3/16"

Couldn't be easier! The set screw has locktite blue on it. I advise putting it back in with locktite blue as well.

Attachments

·
Registered
391 Posts
Nice:)
Do you even think a Short shifter is needed?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
I must have a completely wrong idea about what a short-throw shifter is...

So fill me in exactly how you make throws shorter by changing the actual knob?

·
Registered
391 Posts
Fortimir said:
I must have a completely wrong idea about what a short-throw shifter is...

So fill me in exactly how you make throws shorter by changing the actual knob?
You don't change the knob, you change or cut the shaft between the knob and tranny.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
Rickady88GT said:
You don't change the knob, you change or cut the shaft between the knob and tranny.
that's why i meant... but shortening the shaft makes that much of a difference?

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Rickady88GT said:
Nice:)
Do you even think a Short shifter is needed?
Honestly, not really. Maybe it could be a touch shorter, but I don't think it would be worth the money, especially if you have to factor in the cost of the knob and leather.

·
Registered
527 Posts
I thought in their adverts, pontiac already says it has a short shifter?

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
2KWK4U said:
Honestly, not really. Maybe it could be a touch shorter, but I don't think it would be worth the money, especially if you have to factor in the cost of the knob and leather.
Hopefully someone will come out with a really neat polished/machined aluminum shifter gate, so we can get a ball/rod shifter (no boot) anyway?

Solstice Prototype Gate Not too bad. I don't like the shifter design, but the gate itself is nice.

Lamborghini Gate Another neat idea: black-oxide gate would match ebony interior very well.

Ferarri Gate I personally want a shiny, very professional gate. (threw in a second picture showing a VERY neat security idea... HINT HINT)

Pole Position Gate KappaSphere might just have to make it really simple for those of us who aren't manual-drivers yet.

·
Registered
928 Posts
you change or cut the shaft between the knob and tranny.
that makes it a SHORT SHIFTER, but not a short THROW shifter. YOu have to change the shape and angle of the shafter after the fulcrum, so that the distance from the stops is shorter. Then there will be less travel between neutral and each gear.

I think its got a pretty nice throw, but it doesn't have that click sound like the some of the miatas. Still nice though. :)

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
silversolstice said:
that makes it a SHORT SHIFTER, but not a short THROW shifter. YOu have to change the shape and angle of the shafter after the fulcrum, so that the distance from the stops is shorter. Then there will be less travel between neutral and each gear.
that's what I thought... but people confused me.

Actually, now that I think about it... even shortening the top is still going to shorten the distance your hand moves A LITTLE.

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
silversolstice said:

I think its got a pretty nice throw, but it doesn't have that click sound like the some of the miatas. Still nice though. :)

Thanks for the correction. I can't argue with you there. Truly making the throws any shorter is going to be tough, since we're dealing with a top-loader tranny (at least I'm almost certain it's a top-loader).

·
5,600 Posts
I think there is a diminishing return to short throws. The shorter the throw, the more the effort required to shift.

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
jimbo said:
I think there is a diminishing return to short throws. The shorter the throw, the more the effort required to shift.
Damn that physics!

·
Registered
2,961 Posts
The Stig said:
Thanks Scott :seeya: ... we've got some work to do. :leaving:
Do you guys think you will be able to do something regarding shifter gates like my examples above?

·
Premium Member
5,849 Posts
2KWK4U, you are a wild man. What's next, the engine? :lol:

·
Registered
2,153 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
solli4me said:
2KWK4U, you are a wild man. What's next, the engine? :lol:
Stay tuned... You're not far off :lol:

·
Registered
96 Posts

Hopefully someone will come out with a really neat polished/machined aluminum shifter gate, so we can get a ball/rod shifter (no boot) anyway?

Solstice Prototype Gate Not too bad. I don't like the shifter design, but the gate itself is nice.

Lamborghini Gate Another neat idea: black-oxide gate would match ebony interior very well.

Ferarri Gate I personally want a shiny, very professional gate. (threw in a second picture showing a VERY neat security idea... HINT HINT)

Pole Position Gate KappaSphere might just have to make it really simple for those of us who aren't manual-drivers yet.
Just came over from skyroadster, I can't view these pics on 2 different computers; have they been removed to an archive somewhere?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts