Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious what people paid for a 2007, 2008, or 2009 GXP brand new. I see a 2007 GXP for sale with 4500 miles for $23K and it seems really high. Another 2007 with 5000 miles is $21K. I know sticker price was around $26K but that is before the car was discounted. Overall I'm trying to get an idea on what I should pay for one in the super low mileage range.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
What difference does it make who payed what? You are trying to find a pristine car that is not only not in production anymore, but the nameplate doesn't exhist. And what's worse is you're looking at a car that quite possibly (I said possibly before anyone jumps on me!) could become one of the most collectable cars that Pontiac made. You’re going to pay whatever you feel is reasonable. The owner is going to put the car up for whatever they feel it’s worth. Neither is ever going to be the same. The low mileage cars are getting harder to find....be prepared to pay around sticker or above for them. Let’s face it, you’re looking for a bargain on a car with low miles, something you aren’t going to find. The owners are now looking to make money. The owners of these vehicles now realize that they are worth more money then a normal used car….especially low mileage cars. If you are going to be as picky as you were last time you were looking for one (last year about this time if memory serves me correctly), you are going to have to open your wallet!!! Especially now as it’s one year later and more interest has grown in “collecting” these cars and there’s fewer out there….especially prestine ones that you’re looking for. Not too mention the used car market is tight again, which always drives up pricing, and continues to look tight for the forseeable future as most OEs just went to 3 year leases. These cars fluctuated in price incredibly bad toward this last fall. Mine is an ’08 with 70k. I found it as cheap as $10k and as expensive as $18k….with most around the $12k mark. Now that they have smoothed out, I’m seeing prices between $14k and $16k, with pristine coupes (less then 10k on them) going for $45k+. There’s even a ’10 out there that was priced at $100k. Quit searching for the unicorn cause it doesn't exhist.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Someone can ask a million dollars for their solstice too and it doesn't mean it's worth that. I'm surprised you're using a solstice priced at $100K as an example on what it's worth - that's ludicrous! And not a single coupe has sold for $45K yet either. I'm well aware that there's a guy who was asking $60K for a yellow coupe, and now it's $50K. When he drops the price to $30K he'll sell it - until then it's a fantasy. The car I found this past March didn't start after money was exchanged and the deal signed - so we undid it and I'm glad I did. Rather walk away with my money then have a bad car.

I also refuse to pay more based on what someone "thinks" the car "may" be worth in the future. It may be worth no more than it is today. The coupe asking prices have shot up but they don't sell for any of those prices. The coupe that are correctly priced do sell.

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts
in 2010, I paid 21k for a 08 gxp with 1275 miles on it.

·
Premium Member
17,526 Posts
New GXP went for $28 to $34 thousand depending on ewuipment. In 07 when i started looking, many dealers were charging up to $4 k premium over sticker price and getting it. I paid $28 for my Sol with cloth seats and no spoiler but with AC and monsoon. The Sky redline came fully loaded, basically no options and was listed at $34 k which i paid for the wifes car.

Once GM crashed prices were all over the map.

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
I paid $17,000 in 2013 for my mean yellow GXP. It was fully equipped, no mods, perfect, like new condition, and 5300 miles. I felt that was a fair price, and I still feel that way.
And it is a 2008.

·
Registered
2,539 Posts
My first mean gxp bought for 38k in 2007 then I sold it in 2011. Two years ago I bought a copper Gxp and paid 21k with 22k miles on it

·
Registered
#1099 coupe auto GM tune.
24 Posts
I paid 28k may2015 for 2009 gxp coupe had 1840 miles on it. Bought from org owner, invoice was in glove box. he paid, in jan 2010, list price plus what dealer called market adjust of $5000.00

·
Premium Member
4,902 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,386 Posts
Bought my 2007 GXP brand new. Paid $45,000.00 CDN = $2.00 US:brentil:

·
Registered
189 Posts
Bought my '07 GXP new for a few cents under $30k, back when there were waiting lists in my area (Chicago/Milwaukee) and many dealerships were getting $1k over sticker. That said, I agree with The Ghost that in this case the original purchase price really doesn't mean anything. There's a finite number of these in any particular build and there's never going to be any more of them. Personally, if that '07 GXP really has only 4500 miles and is in the "just like new" condition one would expect, $23k may be a bargain. The market will decide. If mine disappeared tomorrow and I had a $15k insurance check (or whatever) in hand, I'd hit that $23k one or the other one in a second depending on the color.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Bought my '07 GXP new for a few cents under $30k, back when there were waiting lists in my area (Chicago/Milwaukee) and many dealerships were getting $1k over sticker. That said, I agree with The Ghost that in this case the original purchase price really doesn't mean anything. There's a finite number of these in any particular build and there's never going to be any more of them. Personally, if that '07 GXP really has only 4500 miles and is in the "just like new" condition one would expect, $23k may be a bargain. The market will decide. If mine disappeared tomorrow and I had a $15k insurance check (or whatever) in hand, I'd hit that $23k one or the other one in a second depending on the color.
Original purchase price is relevant cause it gives you an idea on what the cost was new and one should not pay that or more than it for a used vehicle. So to me the 'brand new price' is the max that should ever be paid for this vehicle - I work down from there. Unfortunately the car guides are never helpful - i.e. Kelly Blue Book, TrueCar, Black Book, etc all show the price about half of what everyone pays - it makes me wonder where these guys get these prices from cause I never see them. I think the price Wendell paid above was really fair and is something that I would try to target.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Original purchase price is relevant cause it gives you an idea on what the cost was new and one should not pay that or more than it for a used vehicle. So to me the 'brand new price' is the max that should ever be paid for this vehicle - I work down from there. Unfortunately the car guides are never helpful - i.e. Kelly Blue Book, TrueCar, Black Book, etc all show the price about half of what everyone pays - it makes me wonder where these guys get these prices from cause I never see them. I think the price Wendell paid above was really fair and is something that I would try to target.
I would respectfully disagree, but I understand your reasoning.

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
So base on the comments made on this thread no one should pay any more for a 63 Vette than what the original sticker was, and all those folks that are paying 50K to 100K + are crazy since the car was never worth new any more than $6K

·
Premium Member
582 Posts
When any type of automibile acquires some collector status, value becomes an infinitely variable figure. Bottom line, a "collectible" car is pretty much worth what the buyer will pay. And that figure can vary wildly.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I think you guys are crazy and over paid, especially RTE for both the cars he purchased. I walked away from a Pontiac dealer when he tried to gouge me $5k over invoice on a GXP, car would of cost me 35k plus... I offered cash on the spot for the car, BUT I would only pay sticker price, and not a cent more.. I even flashed the cash under his nose, he didn't budge. I walked away. 2 weeks later I bought a Sky at sticker price, saved 10k over that thief at the pontiac dealer wanted... I threw an insult at the dude as I walked, told him its not a Miata.. Funny thing is, We just purchased my eldest daughter her Denali GMC pickup, they could of sold 2 cars to us that day.. fools, greed does it every time..

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
I think you guys are crazy and over paid, especially RTE for both the cars he purchased. I walked away from a Pontiac dealer when he tried to gouge me $5k over invoice on a GXP, car would of cost me 35k plus... I offered cash on the spot for the car, BUT I would only pay sticker price, and not a cent more.. I even flashed the cash under his nose, he didn't budge. I walked away. 2 weeks later I bought a Sky at sticker price, saved 10k over that thief at the pontiac dealer wanted... I threw an insult at the dude as I walked, told him its not a Miata.. Funny thing is, We just purchased my eldest daughter her Denali GMC pickup, they could of sold 2 cars to us that day.. fools, greed does it every time..
I agree with you on this Midnight, but we're talking now about a car that's out of production and has started to acquire some collector status. We're comparing apples to oranges, you have the apples and our cars are now the oranges...LOL... I would never pay more then sticker for a "production" car that's new, current and in production. Let me give an example of ones I would.... My old boss has 2 new Ford GTs on order....$395k each. One to drive occasionally and one to keep with 0....yes 0 miles on the clock. He will pick the cars up at the assembly plant with his trailer and take them home....they will have '0' miles on them....and they will be "dollied" around his garage. This is something that NOBODY can get unless you have connections. I guarantee that the one that he doesn't drive will be worth every bit of over $1M in several years. He did this with his last GTs he bought and has been offered over $750k for his blue and orange with '0' miles on it. He also has 2 Ford Cobra Jets Mustangs from '08(?), one he races, one with '0' miles on it....and has been offered over $250k for that one.

After agreeing with you Midnight, now what Kerfuffle is trying to find is a mythical unicorn...one that is unmolested, yellow, with less then 5k, and is less then $20k. Or worse yet, a second mythical unicorn of a coupe with less then 5k on it for under $25k. And all of us members know this car doesn't exhist for the price he wants to pay. :beatdead: :beatdead::beatdead::beatdead:

1 - 20 of 63 Posts