Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was able to eliminate most, if not all annoying high rpm shift and 5th gear cruising rattle from my gutted OEM shifter by installing an NRG Heavy Weighted Shift Knob (480g or 1.1lb). If you want even heavier, check out Shift Knobs | TWM Performance Shift Knob Store. They have 520g and 600g shift knobs but cost over $130. I got the NRG shift knob from Ebay for less than $50 including shipping. I ended up getting a SK-300BC-W Ball Black Carbon Fiber Heavy Weight Universal 1.1LBS/480g. This site has more info: https://www.getnrg.com/products/shift-knobs/feed.

·
Registered
453 Posts
My car has the stock knob and it looks horrible. The leather wrap is wearing off with everyday that passes. It has 170k miles on the car so I'm not complaining but how do you change the knob? It doesn't just twist off right?

·
Registered
224 Posts
The noise from my JPM shifter drives me insane and I have tried every other possible solution. A heavier knob is next. I emailed JPM to find out the weight on the stainless knob, which is what I have and was supposed to be the heaviest option, so I can compare to other options. I'm wondering if these universal knobs will work with the JPM kit?

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
My car has the stock knob and it looks horrible. The leather wrap is wearing off with everyday that passes. It has 170k miles on the car so I'm not complaining but how do you change the knob? It doesn't just twist off right?
You need to get the JPM shifter kit in order to use aftermarket knobs

·
Registered
224 Posts
You need to get the JPM shifter kit in order to use aftermarket knobs
That answers that, but do you know the thread size of the JPM shifter? I am definitely planning to replace my stainless knob with an even heavier option.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I gutted the stock shifter to the bare metal shaft. Search the forum for threads where others have done so. The only down side is the bare shaft is not threaded and you have to file down the two small tabs to make it smooth. Then any universal shift knob will work. They usually have 3 screws at the bottom to keep the knob on the shaft. The NRG I got unfortunately just stays on from pressure. I considered the JPM option but couldn't justify the cost of over $200.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
The noise from my JPM shifter drives me insane and I have tried every other possible solution. A heavier knob is next. I emailed JPM to find out the weight on the stainless knob, which is what I have and was supposed to be the heaviest option, so I can compare to other options. I'm wondering if these universal knobs will work with the JPM kit?
The JPM shifter is threaded so just find out the thread size and find a shift knob that uses the same thread size. The TWM shift knobs have a knob for all thread sizes. You could take the JPM knob to the hardware store and see which bolt screws in to determine the thread size.

·
Registered
224 Posts
The JPM shifter is threaded so just find out the thread size and find a shift knob that uses the same thread size. The TWM shift knobs have a knob for all thread sizes. You could take the JPM knob to the hardware store and see which bolt screws in to determine the thread size.
That was my plan actually. I just wanted to check if anyone knew off hand first. I work at Lowes so when I work this week, I plan to unscrew the knob and bring it in.

·
Registered
6,626 Posts
Sounds like I'm fortunate to have been quite happy with the stock knob. Sounds like I saved myself a lot of trouble by not changing it!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Sounds like I'm fortunate to have been quite happy with the stock knob. Sounds like I saved myself a lot of trouble by not changing it!
It is disappointing to have spent a good amount of money on the knob and to have to continue to put more time and money into making it acceptable. I will say I do prefer the feel of the shift assembly over the stock unit, but if I can't solve the problem I may just sell the JPM shifter.

It seems hit or miss because some report no noise and others experience the issue I have.

·
Registered
196 Posts
I have had the JPM shifter with their black plastic style ball knob on my car for the past year. I absolutely love it. I have experienced no rattle or noise or vibration of any kind. We drove the car to the Flagstaff nationals last June, a round trip distance of over 3000 miles. As you can imagine we experienced every sort of road condition and every combination of speed in every gear imaginable. The shifter was rock steady, smooth, and quiet the entire trip.

I am not a mechanic but to my way of thinking the JPM shifter may not be the source of the problems some people seem to have with them.

Just a thought, Don

·
Registered
196 Posts
Another thought.

Before I ordered my shifter from JPM I e-mailed them asking for the thread size in case I wanted to go with a different knob. JPM did e-mail me back with the thread size but that was quit awhile ago, which of course means that info is now lost to the sands of time. So if you want to know the thread size a quick e-mail will do.

Don

·
Registered
2,729 Posts
That answers that, but do you know the thread size of the JPM shifter? I am definitely planning to replace my stainless knob with an even heavier option.
Off hand, I don't... but it was the same thread as a last gen Subaru WRX and the 05 Mustang.

Looking around the web, it looks like it's probably 12mm x 1.25

1 - 14 of 14 Posts