Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,512 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, I stopped by my dealer today to check out the Pre-production Solstice that they got to display in their showroom for the week. And I noticed that I could operate the power windows and stereo without having the key in the ignition.

So my question is - Is this normal for the Solstice, or did this particular pre-production model have some crossed wires somewhere that made this happen? If the car is designed to do this, I think it is pretty cool, as it definitely helps in raising the top. (You wouldn't need to leave the key in the ignition if you wanted to lower the windows when raising the top.)

Anybody with a real Solstice who can let me know, I'd really appreciate it. :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,112 Posts
dengel said:
Okay, I stopped by my dealer today to check out the Pre-production Solstice that they got to display in their showroom for the week. And I noticed that I could operate the power windows and stereo without having the key in the ignition.

So my question is - Is this normal for the Solstice, or did this particular pre-production model have some crossed wires somewhere that made this happen? If the car is designed to do this, I think it is pretty cool, as it definitely helps in raising the top. (You wouldn't need to leave the key in the ignition if you wanted to lower the windows when raising the top.)

Anybody with a real Solstice who can let me know, I'd really appreciate it. :)
i don;t know if the Solstice is this way but on my monte carlo and my truck you can remove the key and the stereo and power windows will work for 10 minutes or untill a door is opened.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
4,041 Posts
I just went out and jumped in my Sol. The windows will not go down unless the key is in the ignition and turned on. After the key is turned off the windows will still operate for a period of time. Hope this info helps.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,153 Posts
That sounds like the retained accessory power (RAP) feature. It's pretty common in GM vehicles. It works just as Classic66vair described.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
316 Posts
Ex-Miata Man said:
I just went out and jumped in my Sol. The windows will not go down unless the key is in the ignition and turned on. After the key is turned off the windows will still operate for a period of time. Hope this info helps.
Seems to be the ame for mine. The accessory power stays on with the key off or out until one opens the door or a set time passes. For my Bonneville it's about 10 minutes. This is a feature in my wife's 01 Burb too.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,901 Posts
Talked to my dealer about it when I saw the pre-production car too. It's like most other Pontiacs. 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door.
 

·
LOST SOL
Joined
·
4,675 Posts
brentil said:
Talked to my dealer about it when I saw the pre-production car too. It's like most other Pontiacs. 10 minutes or until you open the drivers door.
My Burb has that feature ... sometimes I like it and sometimes I find it annoying. ;)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,171 Posts
MSG_McKee said:
My Burb has that feature ... sometimes I like it and sometimes I find it annoying. ;)
Just curious, what do you find annoying about it? I couldn't think of anything!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,147 Posts
My Silverado is 15 minutes - EXACTLY. The annoying part is when you're sitting in your vehicle (eating lunch?), listening to the radio - and all of a sudden - it stops. And you sit there for a minute wondering what the hell happened to the radio :cuss:


then you remember... :leaving:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,060 Posts
dengel said:
Okay, I stopped by my dealer today to check out the Pre-production Solstice that they got to display in their showroom for the week. And I noticed that I could operate the power windows and stereo without having the key in the ignition.

So my question is - Is this normal for the Solstice, or did this particular pre-production model have some crossed wires somewhere that made this happen? If the car is designed to do this, I think it is pretty cool, as it definitely helps in raising the top. (You wouldn't need to leave the key in the ignition if you wanted to lower the windows when raising the top.)

Anybody with a real Solstice who can let me know, I'd really appreciate it. :)
The pre-prod I sat in at my dealership did not do that. Obviously, as many have now stated, it's only for a while after removing the key. My demo never even had the key in it, however, when I pressed the radio power button the radio went from NO display at all, to showing the clock. Also I noticed that with no power whatsoever when the driver's door is opened, the digital odometer lights up BREIFLY.

Brentil, could it be true that this temporary stay of power is interrupted when the driver's door is opened? I would think it would make more sense to leave it; so that one could theoretically shut off the car, get out, open the trunk and put the top up, get back in and latch it, THEN roll up the windows, then get out and lock it and snap it the buttresses.

On another note. My girlfriends Ford Focus allows operation of the stereo without the key. It doesn't even have to have had the key in recently. At any time you can turn on the radio and have full funtion of it, CDs and all, for a total of 1 hour.
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top