Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've spend 40 odd years road racing cars, so I don't get too fussed with high speeds, but watching this video of the 2012 Isle of Man race with motorcycles exceeding 200 MPH on public roads, some of them pretty bumpy, makes even me shudder.

Racing bikes at that speed takes a whole different kind of crazy from anything I've ever participated in. These guys are nucking futs!!

Greatest Show On Earth ?HD?320kmh200mph? . Street Race 'ISLE of MAN' TT - YouTube

·
Registered
628 Posts
Just a little, eh Wsphon...

·
Registered
564 Posts
Ya that s crazy. I think there nuts on a closed circuit, but here on regular roads, residential areas, rocks as your crash barrier:crazy: I've gone fast before but i also got scared quickly.

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
Racing bikes at that speed takes a whole different kind of crazy from anything I've ever participated in. These guys are nucking futs!!
I agree, and when I was a ferocious, daring, invincible youngster, I used to race cycles, on closed courses. Back in the late 1960's we didn't have anywhere near the horsepower these guys have today, and I managed to scare myself into racing retirement.

Nucking futs isn't even in the ball park with these daredevils today. :dunno: :brentil:

·
Registered
6,931 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Dave, when I first started racing in the early 1970s at Westwood in BC, we shared track time with the bikes on some weekends so I got to know some of them.

I quickly concluded that if the riders were nuts and something I would certainly pass on, there was one job even worse than that - the passenger in the side cars. In side car racing, you have no (or not much) control over the whole process, unlike the driver, who you'd have to trust completely. It always seemed to me that being a passenger and having to lean out so your elbow was about touching pavement while being driven by someone else on whom you life depended was rather like going over Niagara Falls in a barrel....

I guess it is the same thing as being a car driver and then being taken for a ride by someone else - not being in control can sure make you a bit jumpy!

·
AKA SolWhat?
10,471 Posts
:agree:

Bill, I always had a LOT of respect for the sidecar crowd. To watch those "passengers" climb all over the cycle, shifting the weight balance all the time to be optimum for each turn, and for the driver to take advantage of that weight shift was simply amazing, also very scary.

Whew!

·
Premium Member
2,319 Posts
Wow! Too be addicted to adrenalin to that degree must mean they catch their sleep on a HiLo parachute jump!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts