Pontiac Solstice Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I bought Jinsuko3's, previously Compression's, old turbo set up. I will be installing it this winter and have a few questions about tuning.
1.) Has anyone sent their ECM out to Performance Autowerks to get tuned? I'm thinking about sending the spare ECM I have out to them for a conservative tune so I don't have to have the car towed to SMG to have it dyno tuned right away. I would probably take it their later, but just to get the car up and running.

2.) The CAT in the downpipe is totally hollowed out, can the CEL be tuned out so it does not show a catalytic defiency code? And if it is tuned out, when they do a readiness test for state inspection (the test to see if the ECM has run all its emmisions tests and passed) will it show that the catalytic converter test did not run? if I can't solve the issue through tuning, does this product that ZZP sells work: - Angled O2 bung #

3.) I have a manual boost controller (essentially just a diaphram air pressure regulator), how do I know which setting is how much boost? I will be getting a boost gauge but I am a little nervous about overboosting trying to set the correct pressure. For the mail order tune through Performance Autowerks, do I just tell them the boost pressure I plan on running and they will make the tune to suit? Is 8lbs. too much?

Thanks for bearing with me guys, first turbo set up here so I am a little hazy on the details... Thanks for putting up with me:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
You should have no problem getting a base tune from Performance Auto Werks, as the product and set up is 70% the same set up as theirs. Just some different name brand parts you have on your kit.

Just wondering if he had a chance to collect my/his old pcm to ship with the kit? That would make your life easy or are you planning a full motor build over the winter?

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I got an LE5 PCM, but it is stock, don't know if thats the one your talkinbg about. I'm not planning on a full out build just yet, probably be a while before I get to that stage

·
Registered
2,733 Posts
I'm sure they can get you running but it sounds sketchy to do something like this on a new build. How far away do you live from a tuner? Even someone familiar with HP Tuners and boost who can tune your car on a back road would be more efficient since there are so many variables (like location). I actually bought HP tuners used off a Cobalt board and used a guy around the corner who has a great rep on with chevy v8s for my tune. Just don't get into boost on your drive there (monitor a/f and you should be golden).

I have an open CAT and no CELs (can easily be controlled in the tuning software) but VA doesn't have any specific tests for emissions.

For the manual controller, just have it set really low and slowly open it up until you hit the level specified this is really better set during tuning. I wouldn't drive without a wideband A/F gauge as well since our rings/pistons really don't like detonation.

·
Registered
2,690 Posts
I got an LE5 PCM, but it is stock, don't know if thats the one your talkinbg about. I'm not planning on a full out build just yet, probably be a while before I get to that stage
When I sold him the kit there was a base tune on the PCM I sold him. If you didn't get it. I'm guessing it got left in the car after the wreck.

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Compression > I think the base tuned ecm got left in the wrecked car unfortunetly...

idkfa > Yea you may be correct, I'm not terribly far from the dynotuner, bout 50 miles, it might be best just as sky888 suggested over on the kappa performance forum

1 - 6 of 6 Posts