Pontiac Solstice Forum banner
1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone had a chance to start force feeding their ride? I know it's a new car and all but I'm sure there are plenty of ppl out there with money to burn on mods.

Who has decided to go all the way, and what limitations or advantages have your personally experienced during your journey for modding for the most.

·
Registered
1,000 Posts
Watch for SEMA News.......

Sarge said:
Anyone had a chance to start force feeding their ride? I know it's a new car and all but I'm sure there are plenty of ppl out there with money to burn on mods.

Who has decided to go all the way, and what limitations or advantages have your personally experienced during your journey for modding for the most.
I'm waiting to see what they come up with at the SEMA show in Vegas (November). Should get some good ideas at that time. I'm going to try to get as many pictures as possible........ :yesnod:

·
Premium Member
10,475 Posts
There has been announcements by a couple of companies, also like ntouched said, probably SEMA will be the place where most, if not all of the FI stuff will be announce maybe also shown, it is just a couple of weeks away.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
When mine comes in I will be turbo charging it. I have a STS Turbo for a 2.4
already purchased. With it I have an intercooler, fuel relay line, and stronger injectors.

Me and my buddy in service have already had everything mapped out as far as what where everything will go. It will take some fabricating of mounts and piping.

But it will be worth it.

Now all I need is the car.

·
Registered
542 Posts
How much will this wind up costing you? I am chomping at the bit to do this to mine.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
The entire kit cost me, at my cost, 2200. I am doing all of the work myself and one of my buddies in service.

There will be allot of modding now since the Turbo is technically not designed for the solstice.

So I am assuming atleast 10 to 12 hours of instillation time.

You can buy the same kit for 3500. It comes with a 10psi turbo, intercooler, fuel relay piping and larger 35lb fuel injectors.

I personally think that the injectors might be too big for the car. But I have not dug into the system yet. I really need a couple of hours unde the car to see the specifics on the car.

Our service pages come in yesterday and my buddy is mulling over them. I will be checking them out tonight and tomorrow.

·
Premium Member
1,434 Posts
chefmartin said:
Have you looked into Superchargers? Also what is your take in regards to going Turbo or supercharger?
Tried your site but nolaod. Do you have big pics that might hang up a dialup. No high speed in my neck of the desert.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
I would make the decision of turbo, which is merely a form of supercharger, and supercharger based on two things.

1. What do you want the performance for? Do you want the power ALL the time or do you want it when you feel like getting on it. I personally do not like the jerkieness of a supercharger. I like the fact that I can drive the car 80% of the time and not use the turbo charger.

2. How long do you plan on keeping this car? A belt driven supercharger will wear out factory components faster than a turbo charger(in my opinion). I personally have owned MANY vehicles that had both turbos and superchargers. I would personally prefer a turbo on a smaller, high revving engine like the Ecotec.

The problem with belt driven superchargers is that they are always on. Which means that the FI is always going through, which means the fuel/oxygen mixture is always bumped up, which means that the fuel pump is always going, which.......(you get my meaning)

I like the controllability of the turbo. You can set it so that it only goes off when the vehicle exceeds a specific RPM, 3200 will be my personal setting.

That being said, my favorite car I have ever had was a Supercharged WS6 with over 750hp. I was a scary fast car that simply did not know how to stay under the speed limit.

·
Registered
4,135 Posts
dealernut said:
I would make the decision of turbo, which is merely a form of supercharger, and supercharger based on two things.

1. What do you want the performance for? Do you want the power ALL the time or do you want it when you feel like getting on it. I personally do not like the jerkieness of a supercharger. I like the fact that I can drive the car 80% of the time and not use the turbo charger.

2. How long do you plan on keeping this car? A belt driven supercharger will wear out factory components faster than a turbo charger(in my opinion). I personally have owned MANY vehicles that had both turbos and superchargers. I would personally prefer a turbo on a smaller, high revving engine like the Ecotec.

The problem with belt driven superchargers is that they are always on. Which means that the FI is always going through, which means the fuel/oxygen mixture is always bumped up, which means that the fuel pump is always going, which.......(you get my meaning)

I like the controllability of the turbo. You can set it so that it only goes off when the vehicle exceeds a specific RPM, 3200 will be my personal setting.

That being said, my favorite car I have ever had was a Supercharged WS6 with over 750hp. I was a scary fast car that simply did not know how to stay under the speed limit.
But you people are going to void your waranty, then if something happens, your all going to bitch. Why not just wait for the stock turbo.

·
Registered
667 Posts
dealernut said:
... I like the fact that I can drive the car 80% of the time and not use the turbo charger.

dealernut; You lost me. What do you mean "not use the turbo 80% of the time"? It's in the exhaust stream 100% of the time that the engine in on. It's boost may be wastegated, but it is still in operation.
As far as FI. The fuel pump on a supercharged motor, it is going to be on 100% of the time that the engine is in operation as it is on any FI'ed motor. I don't get your meaning? The fuel map determines the air mixture...The fuel injectors don't care what the mixture is, they just open and close in response to the fuel map. Can you explain what you mean?

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
Chip said:
dealernut; You lost me. What do you mean "not use the turbo 80% of the time"? It's in the exhaust stream 100% of the time that the engine in on. It's boost may be wastegated, but it is still in operation.
As far as FI. The fuel pump on a supercharged motor, it is going to be on 100% of the time that the engine is in operation as it is on any FI'ed motor. I don't get your meaning? The fuel map determines the air mixture...The fuel injectors don't care what the mixture is, they just open and close in response to the fuel map. Can you explain what you mean?

Sorry. That did come out wrong when I re read it.
- The turbo is spinning, but the fuel mixture is the same. The car runs at normal fuel/02 mixture.

- When the increased amount of air is forced in then the fuel injectors/fuel map have to send more fuel to compensate for the increased air.

My experience with superchargers is that my factory fuel pump burns out and my injectors die early as well.

I have had less issues with turbos.

·
Registered
667 Posts
What about turbo bearing lubrication? I remember that when turbochargers first made their way into production cars that there were issues of the bearings being starved of lubricant when the motor was shut down. Because the motor was off, so was the oil pump that oiled the turbo and the turbo still was spinning at many thousands of rpm after the motor was off. With time the bearings would "coke-up" and die. Of course this was several decades ago. I would guess that issue has been addressed some time ago? Can you shed any light on how, and aren't you still better off to let the turbo spin down before you kill the engine? What is the weakest link in "todays" turbocharged system in your view? Which is least expensive to rebuild, a turbo or a supercharger? Thanks.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dealernut said:

1. Get behind the wheel of a GTP with the 3800 S/C, smooth all the way Jerkiness does not exist.
2.150,000 miles a piece on two different S/C Pontiacs, changed one drive belt, asked about servicing S/C oil, official GM word is nothing required.

The belt is always on but the boost is not! Wastegate similar to turbo has to deploy to make boost usable. As much as you can say you don't like instantaneous boost, I can say the lag in a 1985 GM turbo product is so deplorable only thing worse is the ignitiona and too small a carb lag in a 1975 6 cyl Nova. I am sure the turbo setup will be no worse than current model Saabs, which by the way I can run rings around while they are spooling up. (Can you tell I am a S/C fan?) Less heat, too and no plumbing required if no intercooler.

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
toddwcarpenter said:
STS uses GT Garret turbos, Yes? If you don't mind saying, what trim compressor and turbine are you using?

It is a Garrett Turbo, TiAL Wastegate is the only names I have right now. The system should be here in a couple of weeks. I did not rush order it as I do not have a car yet :lol: :willy: :lol: :(

·
Registered
1,029 Posts
achieftain said:
1. Get behind the wheel of a GTP with the 3800 S/C, smooth all the way Jerkiness does not exist.
2.150,000 miles a piece on two different S/C Pontiacs, changed one drive belt, asked about servicing S/C oil, official GM word is nothing required.

The belt is always on but the boost is not! Wastegate similar to turbo has to deploy to make boost usable. As much as you can say you don't like instantaneous boost, I can say the lag in a 1985 GM turbo product is so deplorable only thing worse is the ignitiona and too small a carb lag in a 1975 6 cyl Nova. I am sure the turbo setup will be no worse than current model Saabs, which by the way I can run rings around while they are spooling up. (Can you tell I am a S/C fan?) Less heat, too and no plumbing required if no intercooler.

absolutely. Belt drives have many advantages. I personally like superchargers on larger cars that suffer worse from turbo lag.

I have owned both and I agree that each has their own value. I merely depends on what you are looking for. I personally have never owned a GM product that was turbo charged from the factory. Everything was always aftermarket.

Do you use intercoolers on your belt drives? I am curious of your opinion on that.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
dealernut said:
absolutely. Belt drives have many advantages. I personally like superchargers on larger cars that suffer worse from turbo lag.

I have owned both and I agree that each has their own value. I merely depends on what you are looking for. I personally have never owned a GM product that was turbo charged from the factory. Everything was always aftermarket.

Do you use intercoolers on your belt drives? I am curious of your opinion on that.
I don't even have a cold air intake. Just the factory setup. I am not too fond of low level intakes that would suck up water or snow, however I am leaning towards a ramair hood and a chip mod, but my wife still thinks her car is fast enough. Comparing two GM products for drivability as far as being able to get out of teh way of an 18 wheeler the fastest I chose the Grand Prix GTP at about $25k over a turbo Saab at $10k-$15k higher. Unless the dealer had the turbo disconnected I was not impressed.

·
Premium Member
5,691 Posts
And before you ask what are my concerns over mpg, let me say we get about 33 on the highway at sustained 80 mph and overall 22-25, including city and me (leadfoot).

1 - 20 of 70 Posts